Lenten Fast Question

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can help me with this question. What is the fasting required by the Church for lent? :thumbsup:

thanks for the advice.

For the church in Ireland you should check to see what is required by the bishop of your diocese. The web page should have the Lenten requirements for both fast and abstinence.

the Universal Norm of the Church is that FASTING is required of all Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 (U.S.) on two days, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Fasting according to the U.S. Catholic bishops is one full meal and two smaller meals which together would not be the equivalent of another full meal, with no snacking in between though liquids like tea or coffee are permitted, and since Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are also days of ABSTINENCE, no meat either. Women who are pregnant or nursing, people with medical conditions, or people with specific needs, are exempt from the fast.

However, the Church in Ireland may have different requirements because BISHOPS are permitted to exercise PASTORAL JUDGMENTS.

And of course, all Catholics are allowed to do β€˜more’ than the minimum provided they do not ENDANGER THEIR HEALTH through EXCESSIVE mortification.

Best advice is already posted, check with your local parish or bishop. I just wanted to say you can always feel free to add more fastings and penances to your lentan schedule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.