Lenten Friday meals - recipes and ideas?

:confused::confused::confused: Did you marry my husband too??? :smiley: Mine swears he’s not picky but he has a list of stuff he doesn’t like that’s about as long as my arm, one of which is a “casserole,” just because he doesn’t like the word!!! And he LOVES sauces and is always disappointed if I make “just chicken” or “just fish” without some kind of sauce for it.

:rolleyes:

me, I eat anything that isn’t fastened down, and the best food is whatever someone ELSE cooks!

:smiley:

[quote="Sparki777, post:13, topic:231968"]
I could use some lunchbox ideas. All I've got is hard boiled eggs (which 2 out of my three won't eat), peanut butter (which only one will eat with any ounce of enthusiasm), cheese sticks (rejected by one of them) and hummus (which 2 out of 3 won't touch, in any flavor). None of them will eat tuna -- I can make them eat it at home, but not at school.

Hot lunches our out - our school cook does a terrible job and the meals are unhealthy. She serves half a white hoagie roll with garlic butter on it as a main dish for Fridays with a side of overcooked veggies and canned fruit.

[/quote]

I have two picky eaters, so it is challenging to come up with something to feed them for lunch.

I rountinely send breakfast for lunch for one of my kids. I send a Capri Sun Roaring Waters pouch, a small bowl of cereal, applesauce, grapes,r Mandarin orange slices or apple slices, and a tube of yogurt. I also make sure to send money so he can buy a milk to pour on his cereal.

For another child, I send a tortilla and shredded cheese and fruit, etc..

I have on occasion sent butter bread if I can't come up with anything else that day, but then I am sure to send two kinds of fresh fruit, carrots or raisins.

I hate fish, so I’m vegetarian on Fridays :slight_smile: I’m sticking with cheese pizzas with spinach, portabello steaks (cook a portabello just like you would a steak with seasonings and all), tomato soup with grilled cheese, and all the nachos and tacos I can eat (using beans in stead of meat).

When I was a kid I liked thick slices of sharp cheddar on wheat bread with mayo, lettuce, and tomatos, with doritos for a side :slight_smile:

CHILE CORN BREAD SALAD

If you have many mouths to feed, this recipe is SOOOO delicious! All the ingredients are cheap and easy to find. It's kind of labor-intensive, so start early and make sure you have all the ingredients and that you are well-organized. (Let the kids help?!) But it's worth it. Every time I bring this to a potluck, I get requests for the recipe.

It's not really just a salad, it's a main dish. The beans and cheese provide the protein, the corn bread provides the carbos, and there are lots of veges for vitamins, etc.. You really don't need anything else to go with it, other than some applesauce or some other fruit for a dessert. (melon is good in season)

The best time to make this is in the summer when you can use fresh, home-grown yummy tomatoes dripping with flavor, along with the green peppers from the garden. But it's great in all the seasons.

The recipe calls for bacon--just leave it out. It really isn't needed at all, honest. But if you're a bacon lover, make the salad after Lent and add the bacon!

The only problem is, this is so good that it doesn't feel like a sacrifice!

1 package (8.5 oz) corn bread/muffin mix (or use your own recipe, which is what I do)
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. dried oregano
pinch rubbed sage (optional)

1 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip--lite is OK)
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream (I've never tried lite, sorry)
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (15 1/4 oz. each) whole kernel corn, drained
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped onions
10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (OPTIONAL!)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

Do this step in advance, maybe even a day early. Prepare the corn bread batter according to directions. Stir in the chilies, cumin, oregano, and sage. Spread in a greased 8'in. square baking pan. Bake at 400 deg. for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. (Do NOT skip cooling the cornbread!)

When you are ready to actually assemble the salad (after the corn bread is cooled), do these steps:

In a small bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, and dressing mix. Set aside.

Crumble half the cooled corn bread into a 13 X 9 X 2 inch dish. Layer in this order: half of the beans, half of the mayo mixture, half the corn, half the tomatoes, half the green pepper, half the onions, half the bacon if you're using it, and and half the cheese. Repeat layers. DISH WILL BE VERY FULL and HEAVY!!

Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Eat and enjoy!

I don't even want to guess the caloric content of a serving. I think you could lighten it up considerably by using lite mayo and lite sour cream. Also, it's filling, so you don't tend to gobble it down like pizza.

Wow, Cat, that sounds good!

Just wanted to mention to you all not to miss the similar thread on the Back Fence. Lots of good eats over there, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.