Lenten Pot Luck Ideas

My RCIA class is having a retreat this coming weekend and it kicks off with a pot luck dinner on Friday. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to take for the potluck, I assume we will be seeing a lot of veggie trays, desert and shrimp cocktails and wanted to bring somethind different.

Thanks.

Bean dip!

Layer cream cheese, re-fried beans, salsa, olive slices and cheese…bring chips…:slight_smile:

And PS…Welcome home! :slight_smile:

Pierogies, tuna salad and crackers (Ritz that are pretzel on one side and ritz on the other are especially good), cheese tray, noodles and cabbage;

Honey Baked Lentils

recipezaar.com/Honey-Baked-Lentils-58598

Deviled Eggs

Pimento Cheese rollups on flatbread

vegetarian chilli

Tuna casserole. I cheat and use boxed 2 boxes macaroni and cheese, following directions, then add 2 cans tuna, 16 oz. bag frozen peas - slit bag and put in microwave for 10 minutes. I also chop up onions and throw them in the bag with the peas so they steam. You can mix it up and serve it that way, or top with bread crumbs and throw it in the oven to bake and serve as a casserole. It depends how much time you have!

Crackers with cream cheese and various jams and jellies.

That sounds delicious! I may have to steal this recipe! :slight_smile:

[quote="mswood, post:1, topic:191667"]
My RCIA class is having a retreat this coming weekend and it kicks off with a pot luck dinner on Friday. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to take for the potluck, I assume we will be seeing a lot of veggie trays, desert and shrimp cocktails and wanted to bring somethind different.

Thanks.

[/quote]

Our RCIA class had our retreat about ten days ago and the biggie was Stone Soup. Everyone contributed. We also had crusty herbed bread, tossed salad and fruits. There was also a tray of cheeses and crackers. The soup went over very well.

Seafood paella! It is a Spanish dish:

spanishfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/seafoodpaella.htm

Here’s a pasta dish we like.

Boil up a bag of cheese ravioli (or tortellini) and a regular bag or Normandy Mix vegetables. I get those at WalMart, but in a giant bag. Check the ravioli bag for how many servings it makes, and use about 1 cup of veggies per serving. Again using the number of servings, brown 1 1/2 T of butter (you can use margarine but I like real butter better) or 1 T of olive oil and a couple leaves of sage, the kind from the grocery store, not the dried kind in a bottle. Drain the pasta and vegetables, and put them into the sauce. You can also add a drained and rinsed can of any kind of beans too. I like black beans because they taste good and make a nice color contrast.

I use a stock pot or dutch oven for the ravioli/veg part, and my big stirfry pan for the sauce. For some reason, it seems to work better when you add to the sauce rather than the other way around.

Normandy Mix is cauliflower, broccoli, yellow and orange carrots, mushrooms, onions, zuchinni and yellow squash if you can’t find it all in one bag.

I have two non-meat buffet favorites

a box of Uncle Bens long grain & wild rice cooked according to directions
a 10ox box of frozen petite peas
frozen crabmeat if you can find it otherwise use canned, you want lump not the shreds
drain it, cook the peas in 2T boiling water, add the drained crabmeat at the end just to heat through. Stir the drained peas and crab gently into the rice in a pretty casserole, you can add a small jar of diced pimento as well to get more of the red and green contrast.

the other is tortellini fondu style, put the white cheese tortellini (boiled and drained if it is dry or has been frozen) in marinara sauce, and the green tortellini in alfredo sauce in 2 fondu pots (or simply in glass dishes on a warmer) you can serve with cocktail toothpicks or those little plastic shrimp forks. it should not be swimming in sauce, just enough to coat and not get dried out on the warming tray

Thanks to everyone for your ideas…now the hard part, choosing only one idea.

Another idea. At one class we had a candidate make unleavened bread and found at a specialty store. Bitter herb dipping oil. It was so awesome for it tasted good and also it was bread and oil made the same way it was made when the Apostles ate it. Super cool Now that was unique.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.