Leonine prayers at the end of the Low Mass

Who knows the actual, Church-given reason why the Leonine prayers at the end of Mass were done away with after the reformed liturgy was implemented? I’m looking for the actual reason rather than speculation or the like.

Documentation from the consilium indicates it was “eliminated” because it was not part of the Mass but, rather, post-Mass prayers. The reason I put “eliminated” in quotes is because they may still be said – they aren’t (and never were) a part of the Mass.

Deacon Ed

The Leonine prayers were said after Low Mass, very seldom after High Mass. Don’t forget the post VII Mass did away with High and Low Masses altogether. In any case, I don’t know why the Leonine Prayers were eliminated. Or Psalm 42 and the Gospel of St. John either, for that matter. Took me a long time to get used to it.

A small correction: The removal was not with the reformed liturgy but a little earlier in 1964 when, as BobP points out, the Last Gospel was removed along with the psalm Iudica Me. The Leonine Prayers were said after most low Masses (and no Sung or High Masses) with the number of exceptions slowly increasing until they were removed. And no reason was given there.

:whacky:

Important prayers eliminated but we got a hand-shake, I think there is more to that hand-shake than 3rd century:

In a separate thread, a poster said their priest still led the Leonine prayers after daily Mass. It surprised me–I thought that it was only done at the TLM parishes. Anyway, there is at least one NO parish that still says them.

That is wonderful! :slight_smile:

I think they were done away with in '64 because they were devotional prayers not the public prayer of the Church, in Ireland there was a custom of saying the Psalm, De Profundis, as well after Low Mass. Didn’t John Paul II call for the Prayer to St.Michael to be said after the Novus Ordo Mass?? If you notice at a TLM the priest will make the sign of the cross before and after the sermon, some times might say a Hail Mary, now priests don’t do this as much because these prayers have their origin outside of the Mass.
God Bless

Nice explaination. Thanks.

There is, of course, a danger to that rationale, in that even though the Leonine prayers in particular were born from the mind of the Church the reasoning could be tweaked to introduce all sorts of strange elements to liturgical celebrations by exploiting the technicality that they take place outside of the “In nomine Patris…” and “Deo gratias.” It seems like we need to agree on some sort of principle (since common sense seems to generally fail in our day and age) to regulate just what we deem acceptable “tack-ons.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.