LePage: Maine will no longer waive food stamp work requirements

From the Portland Press Herald

Gov. Paul LePage announced Wednesday that Maine will no longer seek a federal waiver that allows some able-bodied adults to receive food stamps without working or volunteering.

“We must continue to do all that we can to eliminate generational poverty and get people back to work,” LePage said in a statement announcing the change. “We must protect our limited resources for those who are truly in need and who are doing all they can to be self-sufficient.”

According to the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, able-bodied recipients are defined as adults between the ages of 18 and 49 who have no dependents, are not pregnant and are not disabled. DHHS has identified 12,000 current recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program who fit that definition. They account for about $15 million per year in benefits.

Thoughts?

In the original article it said the reason for the waiver to work was the weak job market. Even if the job market is weak, a person can still do volunteer work for their benefits. I think they should.

I know a freeloading family who takes advantage of the system. They get every possible benefit, and none of them work, or will make any attempt to find employment. The husband is young, and receives SS disability, yet he will do all kinds of work on his house and car and other people’s cars, so he is not truly disabled. They have been getting all kinds of freebies, including free health insurance because they have minor children.

When I think how much I have to struggle to pay for my insurance and everything else, it makes me mad to see others gaming the system when they really should be working. I wish the government would actually provide jobs to people who seek welfare so they aren’t just handed free money. Save the real welfare money for those who truly need it.

My thoughts? “If anyone will not (=does not want to) work, neither shall he eat.” (2 Thes. 3:10)

I don’t have any issues with this. I’d be nice if it was implemented everywhere and some of the savings going towards the working poor, particularly single parent housholds. Sometimes working will hurt folks. If your income increases too much you lose your food stamps and you are right back where you were before your income increased.

I’m fine with this, as long as volunteering satisfies the work requirement. If the volunteer exemption was removed, I would be completely opposed.

Why? Work is available. It may not be what you want to do or may not be convenient, but it is available. A few hours at a FF restaurant, agricultural work, warehouse work. It is available.

We have made it all too easy for people in the last sixty years to just coast along and not accept responsibility for themselves. You will always be able to list a sad case (the poor shall always be with you) but all too many accept the handouts because it takes the EDGE off of poverty and makes it tolerable. They may not like it but they are able to accept it as opposed to finding a legitimate way out of their current situation.

Yeah, that would be a slap in the face considering how hard it is to find work. I’d imagine a work search log would suffice as well.

Good for the Governor.

:thumbsup:

Regardless of how lazy or irresponsible someone is we cant sit by and let them starve to death. We are a better country than that.

That’s just it – they won’t starve. When work is available (and it is), hunger can put a fine point on ambition. Sacred Scripture will always trump “We are a better country than that.”

With all due respect, it is attitudes such as yours that have spawned this entitlement generation that our children and grandchildren will have to pay with unless they, too, are infected by it.

If memory serves, back in the Clinton administration those who received welfare of any kind were required to work one way or the other. This country has done more to help people since the inception of the Great Society and it has not helped. There are as many poor people as there were then. I am all for helping those who truly cannot help themselves, but we have far too many who could perform some kind of work and choose not to. The whole system is corrupt and too unweildly for the government, in its great inefficiency, to manage. There has got to be a better way.

That’s because an income tax punishes work. The US tax code especially punishes work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.