Lesbian bishop: 'Remove crosses from church'

Bishop Eva Brunne of Sweden made headlines when she was ordained a bishop in 2009. Installed as the bishop of the Diocese of Stockholm, she was the first lesbian to be elevated to such a post in a mainstream church. Brunne is in a same-sex partnership with another ordained cleric, and is reported to be “a vocal opponent of racism and xenophobia.”

She also has an interesting view of the role and purpose of the church. Christianity has typically seen it as the point of the church to teach the message of Jesus Christ and worship him as savior. Thus, the iconic symbol of Jesus — the cross — is always prominently displayed in a church building.

But Bishop Brunne reportedly wants to change that at the Seamen’s Church in Stockholm. She wants to remove the crosses from the church and provide direction markings for Mecca, to assist Muslims in praying there.

http://libertyunyield.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bishop-Eva-Brunne-300x194.jpg

libertyunyielding.com/2015/10/07/lesbian-bishop-suggests-removing-crosses-from-church-to-make-it-welcoming-for-muslims/

Just another thing in the news I came across.

Where is The Inquisition when you need it? youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1OtP2Svk :wink:

So glad I swallowed my lemonade before reading your post or I would have one sticky keyboard!

Just bizarre. Sin clouds the mind though.

Next she’ll be saying that McDonald’s should allow Burger King to sell hamburgers in McD’s stores.

The thread title killed me. :frowning:

:banghead:

Well this was my initial reaction and then I pondered some more. First of all the fact she is openly lesbian and in a relationship doesn’t mean very much (this is the Church of Sweden we’re talking about, after all - no offence to the Swedes because it’s just as culturally and historically important as is say the Church of England, and all national churches can take a little gentle mockery), so I’m not sure why it had to be pointed out. The CoS is famously liberal (rightly or wrongly) anyway, so the fact she is in a a relationship with another woman isn’t any more notable than the fact she’s a woman at all and is a bishop (again, rightly or wrongly, and yes as Catholics we might not recognise her orders as valid but from her church’s point of view they are, and that’s what matters to them, and for this article)

deep breath

Her suggestion would not be welcome, nor appropriate, everywhere, but given this particular church is as far as I can tell essentially these days a mission chapel (the Norwegian Church Abroad, which is the organisation this church belongs to, is essentially a moral/religious education service originally aimed at sailors, if that wasn’t obvious from the church’s name), there is a degree of analogy between it and the ‘prayer room’ at Heathrow Airport which supposedly inspired her. That said while I understand her motivation I’m not sure that it’s appropriate in this instance anyway.

It would be interesting to know (does anyone?) how much the church is used for Christian worship in any case. There is an argument sometimes that keeping a building working is also important and if it’s otherwise semi-abandoned by its congregation there is maybe less of an issue anyway.

The tone of the article linked was a little concerning, however, because it implies that we as Christians, people in the West, whatever, should not be (as far as is reasonable) accommodating to people of other faiths (such as Islam).

I’d be one of the first to question if this particular recommendation by the bishop is reasonable and appropriate, but when Christians - and other Muslims - are being murdered across the Middle East by genocidal Islamic zealots the least we can do is our very best to be peaceful friendly and accommodating. This might just be the CoS’s (or this bishop’s) particularly non-institutional view of this welcome aspiration.

If the situation were reversed and a Muslim cleric somewhere, with a local Christian minority, made a similar suggestion, what would be our reaction to it?

There was another thread on this in a different sub-forum, and it seemed promising. I can’t seem to find it now… did something crazy happen last night?

I actually agree with you. Thank you for taking a deep breath and thinking this through.

The Church of Sweden is Lutheran my friends. And this Bishop’s stance is classic of Protestants who suffer pressure from muslims, which in the nordic countries is evergrowing specialy now with the swam of “refugees” who arrive to europe and start making demands. And if people refuse, they are seen as bigots.

But don’t worry. There are lots of people who will oppose her on this.

That’s debatable.

Lesbian bishop, huh? Why even retain any trappings of Christianity when you’ve strayed so far from the Truth? I guess they like the look of clerics clothes. Whenever I see a story like this I am always reminded of these verses from Paul’s letter to Timothy:

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke, and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own liking, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths. 5 As for you, always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

2 Timothy 4:1-5 RSVCE

Thank God she’s a lesbian…
at least she cant breed

Do you think she has really ever read the bible properly?

That was uncalled for.

I noticed something crazy from last night. Notifications of new posts to thread via Email show the late night post is not there.

Is that what you mean?
Missing Posts?

Mary.

To send a mop and bucket, so his family members could clean up his remains after his Moslem parishioners murdered him.

Removing crosses from church is absurd

I don’t know. The original thread is gone entirely. I wonder if there was a technical issue? Problematic threads usually get closed, not deleted, right?

Let’s get rid of the bible while we’re at it.

Uncalled for , even though lesbians are supposed to be barred from the priesthood and from being bishops .

Unfortunately, the church of Sweden forgot that marriage is for a man and woman only .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.