Lesbian Teacher's Allegation She Was 'Fired' From B.C. Catholic School Sparks Debate

Lesbian Teacher's Allegation She Was 'Fired' From B.C. Catholic School Sparks Debate

Reimer, who is not Catholic, said she signed a "Catholicity clause" at Little Flower Academy saying she would respect the Catholic school's faith and "demonstrate a respectful and sympathetic sensitivity to the aims and nature of the school and to the Catholic beliefs and practices of the school."

The clause, which allows religious schools to insist that teachers and students conform to articles of their faith, was upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in 2001.

However, Reimer did not tell the school when she was hired for a one year contract to replace the school's regular music teacher who was on maternity leave, that she was a lesbian and involved in a homosexual relationship.

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/apr/10043003.html

Another "victim"heard from.The minister of education is sticking her nose into something the courts have decided is legal.Politicians have NO shame.

"I was not made aware that my personal life would be judged by anyone," she claimed.

I wonder what she thought the Catholicity clause meant?

Reimer, who is not Catholic, said she signed a "Catholicity clause" at Little Flower Academy saying she would respect the Catholic school's faith and "demonstrate a respectful and sympathetic sensitivity to the aims and nature of the school and to the Catholic beliefs and practices of the school."

She asked for paternal leave - seems to me, she got it.

I do wonder how much longer she had on her year to teach

Though Reimer could have been fired for breach of the Catholicity clause in the contract she signed, Boscariol said the school did not want to fire her and chose instead to continue paying her until her contract ran out.

...]when she signed the Catholicity clause in her contract with Little Flower Academy, she didn't disclose that she was in a homosexual relationship. "I was not made aware that my personal life would be judged by anyone," she claimed.

I'm sure that she understood the contract/clause that she had signed. I see it as deceitful on her part to have entered into the agreement in the first place, knowing that she would be violating it from the start...If she was living as sisters with the other woman, then I would have to say the school is at fault, but her partner is to have a baby outside of a valid marriage...in fact,

Reimer says she was fired when school administration discovered that she and her homosexual partner were having a baby.

If the school knew that she had a partner before she was pregnant, and did not assume they were living in sin, but rather as sisters, they did not judge her personal life. They only disallowed her to work (with pay!!!) when it was obvious that she was violating the agreement.

She really doesn’t have any defense if she signed a “Catholicity clause”. However, I would expect the school to do the same for other acts of immorality, for example, the coach who was fired by a Catholic high school for being in an illicit marriage following a divorce from his first wife (and no annulment).

You know, I’m not all that conservative. But Catholic schools (or any schools) have the right to ask people to sign these clauses, and they have the right to expect people to adhere to them, and have the right to fire those who bring scandal to the school. But why would someone work in a Catholic environment when they know they represent something that is in direct opposition with what the Church teaches? That would be equal to a Catholic working for Planned Parenthood and then whining about handing someone a box of contraceptives. Really, what’s the point? Does everything have to be a drama?

[quote="kimmielittle, post:2, topic:196975"]

She asked for paternal leave - seems to me, she got it.

[/quote]

She asked for 'parental' leave.

Under Canada's laws her"partner"will be eligible for "paternal" leave and receive Employment insurance benefits.Her emplyer MUST allow it and WE must pat for it.Welcome to the Brave New World.This is just around the corner for the US unless you do something about it NOW.I'll bet that Obama introduces similar legislation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.