Lesser Curse Words

Is it a sin for catholics to say words such as cra§ or saying that something sucks? :shrug:

Thanks in advance for your help on this issue.

Be careful of "evasive synonyms", words that evade saying the actual word but really mean the same thing.

-Tim-

Depends on how you use them, words in of themselves aren't sinful.

They're use can be, if you use the it to curse someone, blaspheme, or profane(cursing, blasphemy and profanity ACTUALLY mean something in Catholicism, and aren't just synonyms for "bad" words) something, then it is a sin. If the words cause scandal, for example using them around your parents, small children, etc. then that's a sin as well. But if you stub your toe or run into the walll or something and a word slips out witout any of the above intent, then probabaly not, though you may confess it if it's still on your conscience. Over all it's probabky best to avoid words that are defined as "bad" words in our current culture, because they probably will cause scandal to someone, unless you are familiar with the people you're around.

I've read that in the early days of USA, the word 'whip' was used as a swear word.

I asked my mother what words she would use if she ever felt the need to swear, and she said 'hollyhocks' and in extreme cases 'herbaceous borders'.

[quote="TimothyH, post:2, topic:330051"]
Be careful of "evasive synonyms", words that evade saying the actual word but really mean the same thing.

[/quote]

I'm not a big fan of profanity, but on those extremely rare occasions when I resort to it, I don't mess around with "evasive synonyms. I go right for the nuclear option.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.