Lest we forget

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/images/charters_exhibit_zoom_images/declaration_of_independence_stone_630.jpg

Text here earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/freedom/doi/text.html

Thank you for posting this. We gave out free copies of the Constitution yesterday at the
parade. I'm hoping they read it.!!!

Couple of songs I am stuck on today...

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And, I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me...." - God Bless the USA, Lee Greenwood.

...and...

"There's gonna be fireworks (fireworks!)
on the 4th of July (red, white and blue!)

And on the Fourth of July they signed it
And 56 names underlined it,
And now to honor those first 13 states,
We turn the sky into a birthday cake.
They got it done (Oh yes they did!)
The Declaration, uh-huh-huh,
The Declaration of Independence (Oh yeah!)
In seventeen hundred seventy six (Right on!)
The Continental Congress said that we were free (We're free!)
Said we had the right of life and liberty,
...And the pursuit of happiness! "- Schoolhouse Rock

As we live in Washington, I am fortunate to have a view of 20, practically full-scale, fireworks shows from my porch. I will shoot off some mortars on behalf of my less fortunate family/friends in other states.

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

Speaking of songs:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;
“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,
Since God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy,let us die to make men free

While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! While God is marching on.
He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;
So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.

[quote="estesbob, post:4, topic:204243"]
Speaking of songs:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.

[/quote]

Too many overtones of "let's bayonet and slaughter the Rebels" for my tastes, but I'd think that all might agree on "God Bless America," and "America the Beautiful" on this July 4th.

That last would have been a wonderful national anthem IMO BTW.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:5, topic:204243"]
Too many overtones of "let's bayonet and slaughter the Rebels" for my tastes, but I'd think that all might agree on "God Bless America," and "America the Beautiful" on this July 4th.

[/quote]

Originally it was a Union marching song that started "john Browns body lies a molderin in his grave"

I agree about God Bless America. We have one of the most difficult National Anthems to sing there is

[quote="estesbob, post:6, topic:204243"]
Originally it was a Union marching song that started "john Browns body lies a molderin in his grave"

I agree about God Bless America. We have one of the most difficult National Anthems to sing there is

[/quote]

Wasn't the melody some sort of drinking song originally? The lyrics are tied to the War of 1812 and the naval attacks on Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor. America the Beautiful and even God Bless America extol America, not a minor piece of our history.

Big deal, the fort held out, and because of that, we're to remember that incident forever thereafter?

I'd think that all might agree on "God Bless America," and "America the Beautiful" on this July 4th.

[/quote]

I agree. I posted Lee Greenwood's song, because I think it's a good, modern patriotic song. For those who don't like country, they can listen to Beyonce sing it. :)

The School House Rock song is just plain instructive. Considering some of the poll data that comes out regarding knowledge of our history, I'm pretty sure everyone should force their kids to watch those old videos. I certainly do. :D

youtube.com/watch?v=CvH7ySQi37E

[quote="rlg94086, post:8, topic:204243"]
I agree. I posted Lee Greenwood's song, because I think it's a good, modern patriotic song. For those who don't like country, they can listen to Beyonce sing it. :)

[/quote]

Thanks for the option! I don't like country music because I think it appeals more to yokels, but changing the singer and using Greenwood's lyrics made the song come alive and worth listening to for me. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Either one of those would be an improvement but I'd go for America (My Country 'Tis of Thee). The only problem is "Land of the Pilgrim's pride" but that could be replaced.

Yeah, it's the same tune as "God Save the Queen" but so what? Maybe we could work these verses in:

Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks

[quote="didymus, post:10, topic:204243"]

Yeah, it's the same tune as "God Save the Queen" but so what? Maybe we could work these verses in:

[/quote]

By the Sex Pistols? I didn't know there was an patriotic American version.... ;)

As we continue with the celebration of Independence Day, I recommend folks get a copy of "Liberty and Tyranny" by Mark Levin, available at www.marklevinshow.com

And, also, give a listen:

youtube.com/watch?v=bCEOgMAgmv4

[quote="rlg94086, post:11, topic:204243"]
By the Sex Pistols? I didn't know there was an patriotic American version.... ;)

[/quote]

NO! Nothing to do with the Sex Pistols.

See this thread about the history of "God Save the King". It was originally French and most of Europe has tried it out since.

The US lyrics:

My country, 'tis of thee,Sweet land of liberty,Of thee I sing;Land where my fathers died,Land of the pilgrims' pride,From every mountainsideLet freedom ring! 2My native country, thee,Land of the noble free,Thy name I love;I love thy rocks and rills,Thy woods and templed hills;My heart with rapture thrills,Like that above. 3Let music swell the breeze,And ring from all the treesSweet freedom's song;Let mortal tongues awake;Let all that breathe partake;Let rocks their silence break,The sound prolong. 4Our fathers' God to Thee,Author of liberty,To Thee we sing.Long may our land be bright,With freedom's holy light,Protect us by Thy might,Great God our King.

My country, 'tis of thee,Sweet land of liberty,Of thee I sing;Land where my fathers died,Land of the pilgrims' pride,From every mountainsideLet freedom ring! 2My native country, thee,Land of the noble free,Thy name I love;I love thy rocks and rills,Thy woods and templed hills;My heart with rapture thrills,Like that above. 3Let music swell the breeze,And ring from all the treesSweet freedom's song;Let mortal tongues awake;Let all that breathe partake;Let rocks their silence break,The sound prolong. 4**Our fathers' God to Thee,Author of liberty,To Thee we sing.Long may our land be bright,With freedom's holy light,Protect us by Thy might,Great God our King

**Oh! how the liberals would like that fourth verse to go away. The ACLU has worked hard from their beginning to eliminate any reference to God in our history and song and even on our currency.

[quote="SVP, post:14, topic:204243"]

[/quote]

Oh! how the liberals would like that fourth verse to go away.

Not at all. It's part of the poem and can stay there. Why do you assume that we liberals are anti-religious and want to eliminate all references to God from hymns?

Might there be some who do? Yes, but there are also some conservatives who want America to be a theocracy. Don't take as gospel what the extremists on each side say.

Okay, so how does a post that's just a copy of the Declaration of Independence get as many as three 1-star troll ratings? lol

Makes you wonder what goes through some people's minds.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:9, topic:204243"]
Thanks for the option! I don't like country music because I think it appeals more to yokels, but changing the singer and using Greenwood's lyrics made the song come alive and worth listening to for me. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Whats wrong with being a yokel?

[quote="exoflare, post:16, topic:204243"]
Okay, so how does a post that's just a copy of the Declaration of Independence get as many as three 1-star troll ratings? lol

Makes you wonder what goes through some people's minds.

[/quote]

It does...Europeans? Self-hating Americans? Whomever they are, they felt the need to show their distaste for the 4th of July but lacked the courage to voice their opinions.

[quote="pete_29, post:17, topic:204243"]
Whats wrong with being a yokel?

[/quote]

Yeah...I wasn't sure what to make of that comment. I can understand not liking country music from a musical taste standpoint, but it is a little strange not liking it based on what you think of the people who listen to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.