Let ABC know you will not be watching 'Modern Family'

September 22, 2009

**Let ABC know you will not be watching 'Modern Family' **

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]ABC's new comedy "Modern Family" series premiere is Wednesday, September 23rd at 9:00/8:00 central. ABC claims "Modern Family" will be their # 1 show, but most Christians would disagree.

ABC has labeled this program as “One Big, Straight, Gay, Multi-cultural, Traditional, Funniest New Comedy of the fall.” ABC wants you to laugh with ALL of America by watching what they call “America’s funniest family.”

Parents are outraged! The three households, which they call one “unique” family include:

• A homosexual couple.
• These two men adopt a daughter from another country and cultural background.
• A somewhat traditional couple with three children.
• This husband/father is attracted to his sister-in-law.
• She is from a different nationality which they poke fun of and recently married into this family to a man much older than her, and she already has a teenage son.

The program is confusing to adults, and will be for the children in the show and those who may see it.

ABC took every non-traditional issue and rolled it into this one family they call “modern.”

**TAKE ACTION **

Let ABC know you and your family will not be watching the series premiere of “Modern Family” and any episodes following.

[/size][/FONT]

Thank you for mentioning this.

Peace,
Ed

Thank you. I sent mine!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I can understand the objections to everything except:
[/size][/FONT]

• She is from a different nationality which they poke fun of and recently married into this family to a man much older than her, and she already has a teenage son.

As a 40 year old single man, I have dated women between 24 and 40. Some have children. Some have been of a different nationality. Could you explain the objection to this item?

• A homosexual couple.
• These two men adopt a daughter from another country and cultural background.
• A somewhat traditional couple with three children.
• This husband/father is attracted to his sister-in-law.

None of these things ever happen in real life, do they?

I can therefore understand your outrage.

I watched the first show. The “somewhat” traditional family allows their young teenage daugther to have her boyfriend in her room, on her bed, with the door shut. Mom hems and haws wondering what to do… what to do… younger daughter suggests how fun it will be when older sister ends up pregnant … The Dad is a total bafoon.

I can’t identify with that traditional family.

I am not “outraged” by the show, so much as I am totally uninterested in watching it again.

However, I WAS sort of outraged at the new show “Cougars.” The name pretty much says it all… what was I expecting right? In that first episode the character played by Courtney Cox has sex several times with a young guy whose name she can’t recall because they met like 5 minutes ago, and then she’s embarassed when her teenage son walks in on her giving her nameless “date” oral sex.

But I would lying since I do watch it and find it hilarious. :wink:

I thought it was well written. Ed O’neil is hysterical even when he is serious. I know a gay male couple who adopted a boy and a girl, and they are a carbon copy of the couple in this show. I called them immediately after it aired and we had a good laugh.

The ratings were great, so I am looking forward to see more episodes. :thumbsup:

I sent an email to let ABC know that I would be watching.

I won’t be watching, because it doesn’t sound like the kind of show I want on in my living room. But I won’t be writing to ABC to let them know. I’ve found that when people protest shows like this, it only draws more attention to the show itself, raising its ratings far beyond what it would have gotten if people had just quietly not watched. :shrug:

That is so wrong. What? Catholics are supposed to say nothing? That will help?

A certain commercial by a certain popular singer was pulled after people complained to the sponsor. Catholics should politely state our case. If we don’t say anything or do anything, then we will only encourage network executives who will ask their subordinates: “So. Did anybody complain? And if so, what did they say?”

Peace,
Ed

No, not in all cases. Sometimes speaking up does pay. But it depends on how you do it. I just am not going to bother in THIS case; frankly, I doubt the show will last all that long. Most shows don’t, these days. The way I look at this case, it’s a matter of picking your battles. I choose not to fight this one, other than to change the channel and not support the products advertised on the show. But I’m not saying others should follow my lead. You do what you feel you need to do.

A certain commercial by a certain popular singer was pulled after people complained to the sponsor. **Catholics should politely **state our case. If we don’t say anything or do anything, then we will only encourage network executives who will ask their subordinates: “So. Did anybody complain? And if so, what did they say?”

Peace,
Ed

Exactly, if you feel you must say something. Unfortunately, too many people–Catholics and Protestants alike (and in this case I’m sure many Protestants aren’t too thrilled with this show, either!)–are often in these situations NOT terribly polite about it, and end up sounding like shrill fanatics.

And believe me, if people just don’t watch the show, the network executives will know–ratings will go down and their ad revenues will tank.

I agree. I hadn’t heard about ‘Modern Family,’ but I just had to see what all the fuss is about, so I watched it and, guess what? I enjoyed it, think it’s a funny show and will be watching it again next week.

I hope all the anti-‘Modern Family’ folks are happy with all the free publicity the show has gotten. In our netcasted, podcasted, Twitter’d society, the days of boycotting of “broadcast network” TV show are long gone. We’re in a new media era. Those of y’all with your torches and pitchforks need a new, “modern” strategy. Seriously.

Would you like to see the list of recent successes from boycotting?

The only thing I’ll be watching on abc is Dancing with the Stars. I find very few shows on any network very funny, and most of them have a very radical agenda, so I don’t watch.

I used to watch Dancing with the Stars but my kids wanted to watch it with me and often it’s waaaaaay too trashy for them. Too much skin, too much grinding going on. Plus that one judge - younger man w/ accent … his comments made ME blush. :blush:

I heard it was a funny show. Now I hear this. I guess I’ll have to watch for myself to see what I think. Thanks for the heads up.

Catholics are not supposed to watch “DWTS”.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooook. :rolleyes:

Says who?

Look at the clothing they wear… lot’s of tightfitting clothing… women with little clothing, and lots of skin.

Why isn’t anyone writing ABC about this one…?
:cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.