"Let all mortal flesh keep silence..."

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

As we approach the great Feast of Jesus’ Birth, it seems to me there is such a need for more quiet-time…this morning, I’m reminded of the hymn:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence, and with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly minded, For with blessing is His hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth, Our full homage to demand.

King of Kings, Yet born of Mary, As of old earth He stood,
Lord of Lords, In human vesture, In the body and the blood;
He will give to all the faithful. His own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven spreads it’s vanguard on the way,
As Light of light descendeth from the realms of endless day,
That the powers of hell may vanish as the darkness clears away.

At His feet the six-winged seraph, Cherubim, With sleeples eye,
Veil their faces to His presence as with ceaseless voice they cry:
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Lord Most High!

To listen to this hymn, click HERE

Easily my favorite Advent hymn.

Knowing when to shut-up and speak-up is my most difficult form of discernment.

1000x :thumbsup:

I wish we would sing it at mass more often (and by that I mean ever). I still tend to sing it in the car or around the house. No reason for my kids to miss out. :wink:

Thanks for your reply – Yes, in Advent especially but it is one of my favorite hymns in every season! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply, Robert.

You are not “alone” in that discernment – I and many others join you in that difficult knowledge. My hope is in praying as often as I can to the Holy Spirit to enlighten my mind and strengthen my will – so that whatever I say comes from His Truth.

I also pray to Our Lady who faithfully kept silent, yet spoke when she needed to speak in this world, because of her union with God.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful; kindle in us the Fire of Your Love.
Mary, our Mother and Model, pray for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.