Let me just say

Tha I hope I am not being too dependant or annoying here, but I don’t really now where to for specifics when confronted with such things. So far your answers have kept me faithful in that catholicism is right, I hope some one can help with this…

**Quote:**The bible is the authority behind the catholic church, and don’t see how you should be talking call to arms you do realize the catholic church formed tha cannon of the bible, in essence it does have authority. And it seems to me that it’s protestants have more interpretations and can pull more doctrines out of their asses then any other denomination, everything you just said call can be turned around on protestants. Infact protestants use tradition just as much as catholics do, some one comes along finds this and then thats how that sects starts interpreting scripture until some disagrees and creates another doctrine, and so forth and so forth…

Catholics formed one Bible, Catholic Latin Vulgate of Jerome.
The Latin Vulgate is a translation from the Greek into Latin, that was made by Jerome, a roman catholic church leader. The Latin Vulgate agrees with the Corrupt Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus.

The reason why is not hard to figure out: those manuscripts are among those that Jerome used for his corrupted Latin Vulgate. Of Course those manuscripts - that are the basis for the Vulgate would agree with the sources upon which they are based. We do not know exactly Why Jerome chose the Greek Texts that he did for his version of the Bible. We do know today that the Greek Manuscripts that Jerome chose Disagrees with 99% of the Other Greek Manuscripts of the New Testament, and they agree with less than 1 %.

So thank you papists for a false Bible.
Since the papel BIble is false, it is no wonder you dont put much value into it.

We protastants used the textus recptutus as the base for the KJV. It fares much better when compared to the 5000 greek manuscripts of the New Testament in Koine Greek, and the another Twenty Thousand Lectionaries - which were used by local church congregations all around the Roman Empire in the eary church.

Hey Valtiel!

I’ve heard this before, but they don’t bother to tell you that the KJV was also taken from the Vulgate and most of the people using this argument wouldn’t know Greek from Latin or Hebrew or Aramaic if it walked up and barked in their face. This is just stuff that they pulled from some book that they read that like most anti-Catholic rhetoric lacks any documentation.

Don’t let 'em get ya down,
Pax tecum,

Well, well, aint it qourky. The Early Church Fathers beleived in the Deutrocanonical books catholic.com/library/Old_Testament_Canon.asp which last time I looked at my KJV bible which I have read the whole way trough and is quite a fun read happens not to contain the DC books. Wait, if they don’t contain the DC books then that proboly isn’t the translation the early christians used than I guess the Protestant bible is 99% flawed.
opps looks like the Protestants don’t follow the “Early Church” as closley as they say they do.
So when you want to talk truth like big boys you will have to face a few facts. Like the DC books. Till then Have fun.

These are my thoguhts. You want to edit it to your particualar style. I have the Post-1815 mentallity which doesn’t work that well for those with authority problems. So when you get back to them, watch yourself. makes the sign of the cross

Also cheack out forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=83551 # 4 post by Church Mil. A good one.

[quote=Valtiel]Tha I hope I am not being too dependant or annoying here, but I don’t really now where to for specifics when confronted with such things. So far your answers have kept me faithful in that catholicism is right, I hope some one can help with this…

**Quote:**The bible is the authority behind the catholic church, and don’t see how you should be talking call to arms you do realize the catholic church formed tha cannon of the bible, in essence it does have authority. And it seems to me that it’s protestants have more interpretations and can pull more doctrines out of their asses then any other denomination, everything you just said call can be turned around on protestants. Infact protestants use tradition just as much as catholics do, some one comes along finds this and then thats how that sects starts interpreting scripture until some disagrees and creates another doctrine, and so forth and so forth…

Catholics formed one Bible, Catholic Latin Vulgate of Jerome.
The Latin Vulgate is a translation from the Greek into Latin, that was made by Jerome, a roman catholic church leader. The Latin Vulgate agrees with the Corrupt Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus.

The reason why is not hard to figure out: those manuscripts are among those that Jerome used for his corrupted Latin Vulgate. Of Course those manuscripts - that are the basis for the Vulgate would agree with the sources upon which they are based. We do not know exactly Why Jerome chose the Greek Texts that he did for his version of the Bible. We do know today that the Greek Manuscripts that Jerome chose Disagrees with 99% of the Other Greek Manuscripts of the New Testament, and they agree with less than 1 %.

Since the papel BIble is false, it is no wonder you dont put much value into it.

We protastants used the textus recptutus as the base for the KJV. It fares much better when compared to the 5000 greek manuscripts of the New Testament in Koine Greek, and the another Twenty Thousand Lectionaries - which were used by local church congregations all around the Roman Empire in the eary church.
[/quote]

It is interesting that the First Protestant wrote in his Commentary on St. John, "We are compelled to concede to the Papists that they have the Word of GOD, that we received it from them, and that without them we should have no knowledge of it at all."
Martin Luther

In translating the Bible into Latin, St. Jerome used the best Bible manuscripts available to him. To call St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate a “false” Bible because he may have used “corrupted” Bible texts as his sources is uncharitable since none of the original autographs of the books of the Bible survives and all extant Bible texts are but “corrupted” copies of copies, etc. This was true in St. Jerome’s time and it is true today. If St. Jerome’s Vulgate is a “false” Bible then every Bible today must be considered a “false” Bible because every Bible is based on “corrupted” Bible texts.

By the way, modern experts in Bible textual criticism consider St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate closer in content to the original Bible text than the so-called *textus receptus *upon which the King James Version was largely based.

Thanks but there’s still alot left uncheckeed and unchallaged in his points…

[quote=Valtiel]Thanks but there’s still alot left uncheckeed and unchallaged in his points…
[/quote]

Particulars please? And we’ll see what we can do about that.

bible history can be a touchy subject… lol

first off… the KJV of the bible was not the “protestant” bible…

the KJV bible was the Church of England’s, Anglican, bible,
adopted by protestants who had used the Geneva bible, which
was printed in 1560 (( the KJV was produced in 1611 ))… in
fact, the Geneva bible was the first Protestant bible in the
United States, not the King James…

King James, who commissioned the bible was the head of the
Church of England, not a true protestant… as you all know,
King Henry VIII, made himself head of the church in England,
due to a feud with the Pope concerning a divorce… that was in
the 1530’s, and James I was king some 80 years later, and
had the KJV of the bible translation made… James I, like
Henry VIII and subsequent monarchs, was the head of the
Chruch of England, so the KJV was an Anglican bible, not
a true Protestant bible like the Geneva bible… (( by the way,
the Geneva bible had marginal notes proclaiming the Pope
the antichrist ))…

second…

the KJV bible contained the “apocryphyal” books until the
1880’s… even later editions… and most 1611 KJV’s of the
bible are actually 1679 versions, but the preface was left
and no mention was ever made that it wasn’t the original
translation… and no mention is made that the “catholic
books” were removed in the 1880’s either… personally,
i think they were removed to make it more Protestant
friendly, Martin Luther’s bible had the books in the back
of the bible, on unnumbered pages… anyway…

also, from what i understand,
the King James bible’s new testament borrowed heavily
from the Rheims New Testament, but the old testament
was based on the Hebrew books, rather than the Greek
books… (( the Greek books, by the way, are the ones that
the Apostles used ))…

and, it would be nice to know, when they say ‘false bible’,
what exactly they are claiming is false… lol

but, with all that said, i love the KJV of the bible… i was
raised protestant, and i love the poetry of the KJV…

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:

so, beautiful…

:slight_smile:

[quote=Church Militant]Particulars please? And we’ll see what we can do about that.

[/quote]

The reason why is not hard to figure out: those manuscripts are among those that Jerome used for his corrupted Latin Vulgate. **Of Course those manuscripts - that are the basis for the Vulgate would agree with the sources upon which they are based. We do not know exactly Why Jerome chose the Greek Texts that he did for his version of the Bible. We do know today that the Greek Manuscripts that Jerome chose Disagrees with 99% of the Other Greek Manuscripts of the New Testament, and they agree with less than 1 %.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.