“Let the Supreme Court send bishops and priests to jail … the Church cannot go against the law of our Lord Jesus Christ.” [Fr. Z]

Mexican Catholics know something about persecution.

From LifeSite:

Mexican bishop and his clergy: We will go to jail rather than bless gay ‘marriages’

June 25, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – Following a declaration by the Mexican Supreme Court nullifying state laws prohibiting “marriage” to people of the same sex, Nuevo Laredo Bishop Gustavo Rodríguez Vega has issued his own declaration along with the clergy of his diocese, assuring the faithful that he will suffer imprisonment rather than cooperate with such unions.

“They can’t require an institution like this Church to go against its principles,” the archdiocesan clergy are quoted as saying in various local and national news reports. “Let the Supreme Court send the bishops and the priests to jail, whomever they want, but the Church cannot go against the law of our Lord Jesus Christ.

“We know that we can go to jail, if some couple decides to marry civilly, but we won’t give it a blessing. This law cannot obligate the Church, the Church cannot go against its principles and in fact the only ones who will come to the Church will be those who share our principles,” they add.

The clergy of the diocese affirm that their position is “based on scientific, anthropological, social, and religious reasons” which prove that marriage is between “a man and a woman (…) as the juridical tradition of thousands of years of the West affirms, a tradition of two thousand years; it is the union of one man and one woman who wish to procreate.” They call the decision of the Supreme Court to create homosexual “marriage” a “parting of the waters, and the whole world is not going to be in agreement and the Church is not in agreement with this definition.”

…]

Read the rest there.

Fr. Z kudos to Bp.*Rodríguez Vega!

wdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/facebook.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/email.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/pinterest.pngwdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/gmail.pngShare/Bookmark

Full entry…

My prayers are with the bishop and clergy

Jon

Mine too.

I have no idea - are the clergy actually being asked or is there any likelihood of their being asked, to officiate at or give blessings to such unions? If not, then, while I can’t say I support yet another country arbitrarily redefining ‘marriage’ (for whatever well-meaning a reason), I also think the bishops are overstating the case…

And to those who think this couldn’t happen in the U.S., on April 24, 2015, in a speech addressing “abortion rights,” Hillary Clinton said “Deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed.” I think we can be pretty sure she wasn’t thinking about Sharia Law when she said that.

Well, I can honestly say, I would be more than willing to be arrested, imprisoned, etc. versus denying my faith, or denying God in anyway…we all should actually.

The secular authorities just do not like the fact that Gods laws MUST be the priority, they want people to put their laws first and Gods second, and unfortunately many people do this very thing, sometimes without even knowing it. I think it comes down to them not wanting any type of inconvenience in their lives, any kind of hardship, due to something they wont have to answer for until they die.

The way in which the secular world is ‘set up’, its very difficult, almost impossible to truly put Gods laws first AND still live a relatively comfortable life, I tend to think a person TRULY putting Gods laws first, would not have a very comfortable earthly life, in fact I think they would always be on the ‘authorities’ radar, so to speak, just like back in the times Jesus walked the earth.

Hi!
During the early 20th century the Mexican government outlawed the Catholic Church–killing and imprisoning both clergy and laity at will; one of the great crimes against the state was carrying icons, Crucifixes or even a simple cross sewn into a garment… and to actually say “Viva Cristo Rey!,” meant summary execution. (Check the film: Cristiada for an awakening to Mexico’s anti-Catholic reign of terror.)

Though I do not follow the news, if the Bishops are addressing the issue with fervor perhaps it is because the iron hand of governance has not fully stayed its agenda to eradicate Catholicism, at least in Mexico.

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Mike!
I concur; Catholics (and other Christians) in the US have had very little experience with outright religious persecution–this can quickly come to an end as the culture of death continues to erode laws and incite the populous (including those from the “Believers”) to support their “just causes” against the “tyranny” of the Bible.

Truly, we have not had to face much nor actually define our allegiance to God as during the historical persecutions… Yet, it is not too far from our future, since US history would unfolded would yield the anti-Catholic agenda that reached into the government; besides “Maryland,” states enacted laws to “protect themselves” against those bad Catholics whose allegiance to the Vatican made them anti-patriotic–a people whose words could not be trusted and that had to be “watched” and “checked” because they would amass weapons in their “churches” to subvert the government… of course all that stemmed from the anti-Catholic bias that came along in the Mayflower–the *New World Order *agenda will most likely include all Christians (excluding non-Christians on grounds that they are not aggressive but simply good-willed people).

Maran atha!

Angel

Oh, yes, I agree, the US will be included and persecution is coming fairly soon. Im just not sure how it will progress to this point, but Im sure the NWO has this well thought out and planned for decades.

It really can only be one of two things, either religion will be increasingly seen as dangerous, especially christianity, or something will happen that will make people think we were wrong all along about the bible, God and our creation, and laws could result if they think its wrong and even dangerous to continue to allow a belief system we now know to be false.

the Cristeros movement and

¡Viva Cristo Rey! :thumbsup:

Hi, Mike!
…it is interesting how anti-God the world turns and people just go on “loving it!” As I understand it, France has instituted a mandate against wearing a Crucifix in public–it is unlawful, unless it is claimed as an expensive jewelry piece!

…in the US the “politburo” wants to make it a mandate (Constitutional Amendment) that religion be practiced only in private; that is (as in France) make it unlawful to display/practice Christianity in public.

I can envision agents/surveillance being placed in local parishes to force the Church to conform to *obligatory Bible readings *(sectioning off anything that speaks against the culture of death and that suggest that unrighteousness will lead to Hell)–it worked for the KGB!

Maran atha!

Angel

A look at Isaiah 6:9-13 seems to describe our society all over the world.
[9] And he said, “Go, and say to this people: `Hear and hear, but do not understand;
see and see, but do not perceive.’
[10] Make the heart of this people fat,
and their ears heavy,
and shut their eyes;
lest they see with their eyes,
and hear with their ears,
and understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed.”
[11] Then I said, “How long, O Lord?” And he said:
“Until cities lie waste
without inhabitant,
and houses without men,
and the land is utterly desolate,
[12] and the LORD removes men far away,
and the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.
[13] And though a tenth remain in it,
it will be burned again,
like a terebinth or an oak,
whose stump remains standing
when it is felled.”
The holy seed is its stump.

[12] and the LORD removes men far away,
and the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.

I do not understand this part? How are they ‘removed’ and where did he place them?

Go back and read the book of Isaiah and you’ll see.

How would it happen today? That’s above my/our pay grade, but the warning is pretty clear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.