Let's end the Debate on arousal and it's sinfullness once and for all

So, quick backstory time.
I was scrupulous, worried about arousal, walked really funny for a couple days, stopped doing normal stuff, went to Confession, talked to a priest about being scrupulous, now not doing that stuff. :smiley:

Anyway, can we just finish the debate about when arousal is sinful? It seems like time and time again people are posting this, and not receiving answers that fully answer (sorry for redundancy lol) their question.

Regarding near occasions of Arousal: Not a sin if you are doing something that isn’t sinful, sufficiently good reason, and no near occasion of consenting.

I also just have a quick question.
My confessor (yes, I know this is going to sound kind of scrupulous, but bear with me, I can’t talk to him this week) said that you shouldn’t worry about arousal if you are doing normal stuff like sleeping or putting on clothes or pushing buttons on a remote control, etc.

But, there really isn’t any good reason to push buttons on remote controllers, or anything like that (unless recreation is a good reason).

However, I’ve decided still to follow my confessor and do normal stuff (even if it seems like there isn’t a proportionate reason, but I really have trouble discerning that kind of stuff) like that because I tend to believe following my confessor first is the best possible choice.

Is this wrong? By the way, I’m going to ask my confessor about this. Not doing that would be just plain :doh2::doh2::doh2:

You wish to end the debate on a sexual issue and the theology of the Church? Good luck. As for the rest. You should talk to your confessor even if it means waiting until he is available. Because strangers on the internet are not going to solve your dilemma.

Hey, can’t blame me for trying to end the debates :D… they are often soooo confusing to read and don’t really scrupulous people at all (it never helped me, that’s certain).

Confessors are where it’s at. Thanks for your advice btw.

Also, better luck next year for the Hoosiers. My Gators are going back to the tournament and your Hoosiers are going to need it. :smiley:

Man! your going to go to heaven missing some hands and eyes! :smiley:

In teenage years arousal can at times be completely involuntary.

And generally after that its not. :blush:

Except while sleeping.:sleep:

In your guys’ opinions, do you think it is healthy for any teenager to worry about arousal?

Because honestly, I believe, after reading much about arousal myself, that most of the questions are coming from teenagers, who are trying to avoid doing normal things due to fear of arousal, or even worse, are in the process of forming scruples.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

By the way, as advice, if anybody reading this thread fears they have become scrupulous based off of arousal, they should just go to a priest and answer their question once and for all.

Waaaaay more reliable than anybody on the internet, including myself.

If the arousal is not intended, it is never a sin, if one does something innocent and causes arousal, then change what ever one is doing, and if that doesn’t work, take a cold shower or hit your hand with a hammer, that will get your mind off the arousal:D:D

It is unhealthy for anyone, of any age, to worry. Worry is one of the most unproductive activities. It fails to accomplish anything.

It is no more a sin to become aroused then it is to sweat or get hungry. It’s a body process that comes and goes.

Now if you are trying to arouse yourself or engaging in sin after becoming aroused that’s a problem.

Otherwise just ignore it and move on.

Finally! The interment is going to settle this question. Whoo-hoo!

The Apendigy of a man is a bit like an arm or a leg, it just hangs around and hangs out with some questionable characters , should we remove our arm because it could cause us to sin ? If we did, there’d be not much left would there ?

Didn’t Jesus say that if our eye caused us to sin we should remove it? Or something to that effect?

Although I think He was referring to occasion of sin…

True , I thought about including those words somehow in my opinion,
But thought it best not to include it, arousel of you know who,.
Can be involabtary , woman get involabtary mental arousel ,
It just happens, God know when the Spirit is strong and the Flesh is weak,
I personally think it’s a mistake to look to closely at our own shortcomings ,

arousal can be completely involuntary throughout the lifespan. Studies have shown that men who are raped sometimes have an erection which is not by choice. Some women have been known to have an orgasm during labor. The main sex organ in the body is the BRAIN, which we really know little about. It’s all ruled by hormones and the brains response to those hormones sometimes can be very puzzling.

I’d say it’s more what you choose to DO about the arousal than the arousal itself.

LOL. I hate living in Indiana. We moved here two years ago from the first world. Skipped right over the second, and landed smack dab in the third. The name is a clever play on words because I am indeed a daddy. I am also a football man, basketball is not my gig. And the local colleges are not my bag either. But Boise State, Oregon, Washington, USC, etc are my bag with football. Basketball is just something to watch until fall camp begins…
The gators? Well lets just say I am a Meyer and Tebow fan so there is not much left for me there. And I was unaware they even had a basketball team…:wink:

That is exactly what you are to do.

Follow your regular confessors direction!

Do not worry about “reasoning it out” at the moment - follow his direction.

(indeed by doing so - such things will lessen even in any effect they may have had as a side effect - caused by fear etc.)

I will re-post an older post of mine.

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles* to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience).

Thus with their direction they can “dismiss scruples” (in the older language despise them) - “act against them”.

Scruples are to be dismissed ~ not argued with.

To borrow and image from a Carthusian from centuries ago: Scruples *are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? * No one keeps walking.

Such ‘obedience’ to a regular confessor who knows of ones scruples (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.

Here was a recent post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous

Really? The gators made it to the NCAA March madness finals two years ago!:eek: lol

Okay, to sum up everything…

If you do something that could get you aroused TO get aroused, that’s grave matter of lust/adultery/whatever.

If you do something that probably will get you aroused either with a probable chance you will consent or without sufficient reason, it’s grave matter of a lack of prudence.

If it’s a normal thing (or at least as far as I’m concerned), then don’t worry about it, as long as you don’t consent…

Just fleshing things out for readers, not so much for myself. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.