Let's "face" it!

I have a curious question,

Does God have a Face? I mean, does it look like a human face though He’s not human? The reason why I’m asking this is because I was reading scripture like in the OT and you know how God says that “My hand…”, My eyes…My ears…something like that so I was wondering?

God could appear to have a face i suppose, i dont think he has a set one, i mean when the virgin mary appears she looked different sometimes depending on where she was, perhaps Gods face and those in heaven can change?

Paris Blues:

In the writings of John Paul II he says that:

The human face of God is Jesus Christ and
the divine face of man is Jesus Christ.

Cherish contemplating this as long as you want. I love it.

in Christ.

No aspect of God is variable (ie, subject to change or differentiation). That means God does not have distinct “features” like we do (so God has no “face”). He is “I AM”, not “I HAVE”

But God communicates with us in terms we can understand. Thus, he anthropomorphizes himself so we can better relate to his message.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Paris Blues:

in Christ.
[/quote]

So does that mean when we get into Heaven, His face will look like ours or ours will look like His? Is that what JPII meant?

in Christ.
[/quote]

THAT IS FABULOUS…thank you so much for sharing that with us…that is going to be what I use for my meditation during Eucharistic Adoration this week.

Paris Blues: Not that our faces will disappear but rather will be radiant like Christ’s(e.g.Mother Teresa). What our late Great John Paul II says that the dignity of man is revealed to us in the bodily existence of Christ…that each one of us should become beautiful and noble for we are made in the image and likeness of God. Furthermore, this gift of the Incarnation is the perfect unity of man and God. If Chist is true God and true man, then we can repeat: the human face of God is Christ and the divine face of man is Christ.

LSK: You’re more than welcome! I got this from the Theology of the Body.

I completely recommend “Naked Without Shame” by Christopher West(available in CD form). It is a great explaination of the Theology of the Body of JPII. It has changed the way I see myself and everyone around me. This theology of the body is the atomic bomb that will destroy the illusions and morbid consequences of the sexual revolution.

in Christ.

The face of God is like the sun. I know a person who had a vision of God and she said it was all bright light and gave her the deepest peace and joy she has ever experienced. She was not seeking a vision and has not sought after one since, but she says that heaven is going to be beyond our wildest dreams.

in Christ.
[/quote]

That is beautiful…I can add only one thought that occured to me…the face of G-d is Jesus the Christ who must have looked exactly like Mary…

Because he only had her human D.N.A…

Theology of the Body for Beginners is what I am reading now. THERE IS SO MUCH WONDER TO LEARN!!!

Of course God has a face!!! He created man to His own image.I think that speaks for itself.Also I like wat John Paul II said: “The human face of God is Jesus Christ and the divine face of man is Jesus Christ.”:bounce:

in Christ.
[/quote]

John Paul the Great! God give him rest.

[quote=donosti]Of course God has a face!!! He created man to His own image.I think that speaks for itself.Also I like wat John Paul II said: “The human face of God is Jesus Christ and the divine face of man is Jesus Christ.”:bounce:
[/quote]

He can choose to appear to us as though He had a physical face, just as He can manifest Himself as though He were a burning bush. What better way for God to interact with man than in a manner man can easily understand. That is part of His eternal prerogative, His omnipotence, and if it suits His divine purposes.

Gerry :slight_smile:

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.