Let's hear about your latest/favorite bible

The Knox (I have one from Burns and Oats original printing) and a Baronius Press). It is a very “English” Catholic Bible. One of my favourite truly Catholic bibles.

I recently ordered the highly praised Didache Study Bible; this will be my first bible. I believe it is RSV-2CE. I look forward to receiving it in the mail soon, and I’ll let you all know what I think of it as someone looking to go into RCIA.

I’ve read excerpts from the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem Bible, and I thought it was very beautifully written. I was told that it is not as accurate sometimes, though, so I decided to get the RSV-2CE for my first one and might seek out the New Jerusalem later on. Tolkien contributed to the original Jerusalem, I hear, and I love his writing from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

I like this Bible sitting on my shelf a lot. Only problem is I don’t know how to read it. :confused:

…are you using the dark theme on CAF? To each his own, I guess! :rofl:

Yes, it’s easier on my eyes, works best on my phone, too.

I read all books on my phone in this format.

Certainly possible. Cardinal Gibbons died in 1921, Cardinal Farley in 1918, Cardinal O’Connor in 1944, so it would not normally be later than that, as the approbation AFAIK would pass to a sitting Bishop. It strikes me as having been in its box, but the box did not make it to the donation bin.

Digging a little farther back, it appears that P. J. Kenedy reprinted the Murphy Company original. Thus, its date is uncertain. It has that typical musty aroma, although not nearly as pronounced as some others that I have. The curling and stiffening of the leather also indicates at least a few decades of aging.

Even if printed last week, it was a deal I could not pass up.

JamalChristophr
What is the official Bible in England for Catholics? Is the Knox used at mass?
I’m a big RSV-CE lover. If I read only one translation, it would be that one.
But I like to go to Bible Hub or Gateway or whatever they may be and
look at how one or more verses might be translated in 20 different
Bibles. I think it’s quite helpful and fruitful. Good thing there is
the internet for such things.

I would suppose the RSV-CE comes close. But, there is also the Catholic Truth Society bible, which is a variation of the Jerusalem Bible.

Monsignor Ronald Knox was a fairly prolific writer. In addition to novels, he translated the entire bible. He wrote a book entitled “Englishing the Bible” as he wanted his bible to read as if it had been written for an Englishman. It is quite beautifully done, the Psalms in particular, but it is strictly British, so Yanks will have to put slightly more effort into reading it. Some people say that it is an idiosyncratic translation. I prefer to call it warm and human, rather like Jerome’s work, actually.

I find it helpful and fruitful if the Bibles in question are mostly Catholic. Sadly, on those Bible sites, they’re mostly not. I don’t mind seeing the KJV in the list, but some of those like the NIV are like total re-interpretations of the Bible to suit an agenda.

I use their search engine, as it is the best I have found. But, they have only the Douay-Rheims and RSV-CE as pure Catholic bibles. A few others on their list contain the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books, such as the Common English Bible, the Good News Translation, the Wycliffe, the New Revised Standard Version (and Anglicized version) and the Revised Standard Version.

Oddly - or not - their online version of the 1545 Luther Bibel (Deutsch) does not include the Deuterocanon, even though the hard copies did contain them. Luther left them in his publication, but segregated them to a spot following the NT.

The KJV was written with an agenda in mind, King James’. There were already bibles around like the Geneva but he found that it would undermine the authority of the state. The KJV was written to support the DROK which he claims.

THE CTS Jerusalem bible, which I have, is the Original JB but with the Grail Psalms.

Ah, that is the difference. Thank you!

The 1545 edition of the Luther Bible moves 5 books of the new testament to the back of the book into an appendix as it were and not a part of the New Testament

I much prefer the crisper, more precise, and beauty of the English language that composes the Revised Standard Version. American English is just so… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve never read the Knox Bible. I don’t think they are very easy to find in stores in the U.S.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church uses the RSVCE, thankfully.

Good ol’ Marty! (R.I.P.). Taking a guess: James, Hebrews, 2 Peter, 3 John and the Apocalypse? Poor Fr. Martin, as intellectual as he was reputed to be, shared at least one flaw with the evil one: he was blinded by his ego.

The guy was a manic. The guy should never have been ordained. He had serious mental health issues

What? You don’t like the Nearly Inspired Verson!! I like it for various things. It’s my first bible. Has my name on it. Leather bound, gilded pages, thomson chain-reference, first bible I truly dug into, and my Methodist Grandmother got it for me when I was in High School. :slight_smile: It still sits on my shelf.

I shall refrain from commenting on how ummm … I think the lectionary variations fair in the good ol’ USA. :scream: I should like to speak to some members of the USCCB about it though.

JamalChristophr
I much prefer the crisper, more precise, and beauty of the English language that composes the Revised Standard Version. American English is just so… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I’ve never read the Knox Bible. I don’t think they are very easy to find in stores in the U.S.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church uses the RSVCE, thankfully.

IIRC, the NAB is written down to a 6th grade level, evenn though Saint Paul wrote that he put away childish things when he matured (sigh). Do you have a 1941 Confraternity NT? Best US Catholic NT that I have found. Solid, 100% Catholic with outstanding notes and intros. Sadly the “in-progress” Confraternity OT was essentially “ported” over to the NAB, which has a weak NT. The Confraternity Bible was never published under a single cover. A shame.

Oh, and as to my 99¢ D-R, you are correct. It is a reprint of the 1914, an example of which I have also (eBay $9.99). Save a search for a Knox bible on eBay. With patience, you should be able to find a Sheed & Ward original for $10-$20. As TimothyH pointed out on the old CAF, the Knox has no quotation marks in it.

As it turns out, he was not running toward something, but away from something. The rest is well…

I do have a baby confraternity bible, I think. Mother Angelica instructed me well on what Bibles might be good to choose from. I will try and make use of it this advent. It is only a baby pocket bible, fits easily in ones back pocket. I haven’t used it too much yet really. Other than the text being somewhat small and packed together, it’s great.

(It is the 1941 version, I just looked.) … The use of the English language is much to my liking in this translation.

The best bible to use is the one that gets read.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.