Let's talk about Mormonism

Please follow His instructions so that we all might finally have peace together worshipping the same One True God. Don’t just Trust what God has shown you and believe He does not talk to Mormons because they understand words differently. Or have experience God differently. Go and help their ignorance but be willing to give up your ignorance so that you might finally come to know the truth of the trinity that for so long has been hidden from your view because you killed, judged and vilified the very prophet sent to teach you about the greatest mysteries you still do not understand. Peace with you. Go with God and heal this divide we have created by judging each other unrighteously. The stain of sin and our imperfect view of God comes from all of us. Let’s stop killing the prophets that God
Sends to us because they are imperfect. They were made imperfect by the stain and fullness of this world and the lies it continues to propagate. Let’s us rid ourselves from all lies that Satan is propagating he is nothing more than a false thought. Cast him out and he has no power over us to feel anger, hate and division. Stop believing all the lies that people have been sharing. All the evil that you believe is in the Mormon church is based on lies believed and the miss use of God’s name to propagate them. Men are weak and sinful because they are ignorant and arrogant and seek to make God into their own image because they are not sufficiently humble to truly acknowledge their sins and seek to hide them by saying they were only trying to do the will of God. All men are wicked and fall short of the glory of God. Only God is good. His truth always lives supreme. We can keep arguing with God or we can get our hearts aligned with him and finally have reviled to us His true nature. If you truly believe you are one who would not stone the prophets then stop stoning the Mormon prophet. The true revelations he received from God are good and useful for knowing God. Believing the lies that are taught is killing us, it is keeping the church of God separated. It is time to forgive wrongs and heal the breach.

Here is some data on Rexburg and religious affiliation. 98.2% LDS, 1.5 % Catholic. My assumption would be most of those Catholic are Hispanic farm laborers who choose not to go to St. Anthony or Idaho Falls for Mass.

I agree we need to pray for the Catholic Churches in that area. It is an amazing area of Idaho, gateway to many outdoor wonders, and for Catholics or even Christians, a very difficult place to find like minded people. :grinning:

I will pray for you. You have so much to learn about what it is to be Catholic and what it is to be LDS. My heart hurts for you with all this conflict going on in your mind.

Excellent point. From the first time I attended LDS services it was obvious where the focus of their worship was directed. And it’s not on Christ. You can go the whole three hours and scarcely hear the name of Christ at all. It’s all about THE CHURCH. The church this and the church that. Everything is about how wonderful the church is and " I don’t know what I would do without the church," and apostle this and prophet that. Where is Christ? Mormons would never admit it because they don’t even see it, but what they really worship is THE CHURCH. They worship an organization. An organization that forces tithe-paying to enter their temples, lies to their membership about their own history, and excommunicates so many who dare to voice their doubts.

On the positive side, the church has finally gotten over their stupid caffeinated soda hangup and for the first time students at BYU can now buy a regular Coke on campus instead of hiding it in shame in their dorm room.

CCC:

God has said everything in his Word

65 "In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son."26 Christ, the Son of God made man, is the Father’s one, perfect and unsurpassable Word. In him he has said everything; there will be no other word than this one. St. John of the Cross, among others, commented strikingly on Hebrews 1:1-2:

In giving us his Son, his only Word (for he possesses no other), he spoke everything to us at once in this sole Word - and he has no more to say. . . because what he spoke before to the prophets in parts, he has now spoken all at once by giving us the All Who is His Son. Any person questioning God or desiring some vision or revelation would be guilty not only of foolish behavior but also of offending him, by not fixing his eyes entirely upon Christ and by living with the desire for some other novelty.
There will be no further Revelation

66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ."28 Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called “private” revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ’s definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept “revelations” that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such “revelations”.

Hello Rebecca,
So Catholics believe in the trinity, the infallibility of the pope, purgatory, etc. and they require all their membership to believe the stuff they say. It seems like you could either claim that these doctrines came through revelation or they dreamed it all up.

Huck, you have it precisely, backwards. :grin:

I’m short on time at the moment, so won’t be able to look up references right now.

But will point you towards the Church’s teachings on, “the Church is apostolic”. It teaches what the Apostles taught. Mormonism rejects outright the Apostolic teachings on God, and has invented teachings that the Apostles never taught. I.e, dreamed it all up.

Thank you the world has told so many lies about what it means to be truly catholic and truly Mormon lives have even been spread from within my churches. I will need your prayers that those whe see can see and those who can’t will continue to be blind until they come to know the real truth. I love you my child keep doing Gods work

What is the difference from personal revelations and let’s say the big R Revelations?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13005a.htm

Thank you I am grateful for the answer

I am sorry you took my few words as so judgmental. I seek to do much of what you said. I was actually speaking from a place of prayers request to have more help from our diocese to do exactly what you recommend.
I don’t like the like the divisiveness of arguing/assuming. I much prefer relationships and conversations. Some of my very good friends are from the LDS community.
Many people assume that as Catholics we judge everyone else as condemned who are not in the church. This is NOT what the church teaches.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (vatican.va)

Wounds to unity

817 In fact, "in this one and only Church of God from its very beginnings there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly censures as damnable. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions appeared and large communities became separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame."269 The ruptures that wound the unity of Christ’s Body - here we must distinguish heresy, apostasy, and schism270 - do not occur without human sin:

Where there are sins, there are also divisions, schisms, heresies, and disputes. Where there is virtue, however, there also are harmony and unity, from which arise the one heart and one soul of all believers.271
818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

Toward unity

820 "Christ bestowed unity on his Church from the beginning. This unity, we believe, subsists in the Catholic Church as something she can never lose, and we hope that it will continue to increase until the end of time."277 Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her.

It’s a little long and I welcome questions and prayers.
God bless you on you journey home to the Church that Christ handed the keys of heaven to and all the beautiful richness and fullness of truth.
:pray:t2:

I think the answer lies with the often held belief that the more popular something is the truer or better it is. In this case it is interesting because Brigham Young didn’t set him self up as prophet for along time after Joseph died. This was because of his uncertainty of his right as leader. Sidney Rigdon on the other hand was blessed to receive the oricals for the church, but he was rejected as leader because he had issues with polygamy. Emma also received a blessing making her the queen, priestess, and prophetess. She also was excoriated by Brigham Young for taking a hard stance against polygamy. If the saints had all rejected the practice from the get go you would see a very different church today.

Ok let’s give this a whirl. What is your understanding of what this doctrine means?

I’m not aware of Jesus bestowing unity. How did he go about bestowing this unity? The reason why the leadership (Catholic or Mormon) want everyone in unity is based on their need to control the membership. They really don’t want their flock to think for themselves.

adamhovey1988:
Why did most Mormons give up belief in the Adam-God doctrine?

Ok let’s give this a whirl. What is your understanding of what this doctrine means?

I’d be interested in your answer to Adam’s question? While I’m not opposed to Adam’s thoughts on it, I’d seriously like to hear your answer to the simple question.

This may be true for the LDS but it certainly isn’t for the Catholic Church.

Well from my research the discussion of Adam being god was hardly a common belief in the church, and even fewer really even understand what “deep” doctrine Brigham Young was talking about. From reading my families journals etc. I think the point that was made was that we are all sons and daughters of Adam. This was not really any kind of new thought for anyone then and now so I dont think it continued to be taught using that same language.

Mormons do practice polygamy in what they call Celestial Marriage. A widower is allowed to marry as often as he wishes for all eternity under these circumstances.

This doctrine is a violation of the explicit word of Jesus who made it clear that marriages are not valid in heaven, please read Matthew 22:28-30 for context.

Marriage ceremonies between living and deceased individuals are recognized. Polygamous (multiple wives) and polyandrous (multiple husbands) are allowed and presumably, they are able to procreate in some celestial kingdom(s). There is no authority for this in scripture and the Church (Catholic or Protestant).

The total paradox in their beliefs is they go around saying there was an apostasy always referring to a verse in Amos that is really about the diaspora before Christ.

Never understood why if the Church lost authority do they accept the New Testament books which the Church decided on in 398 A.D. And why do their Bibles look like a Protestant Bible? Surely Martin Luther couldn’t have been right. Also why are there verses in the BOM that directly plagiarize the deuteroconical books?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.