Letters between and Evangelical and a Catholic

Anyone read this book? Comments? I’ve had extensive dialgue with a pastor’s wife (she’s not evangelical, but closer to that than Catholic), and have made great progress and helping her to appreciate the Catholic faith. She now says on a regular basis that we’re not as different as she was brought up to believe and thinks most of it comes to a matter of semantics. Anyway, she came across this book the other day and thought we ought to go in halves and read over the summer. My only concern is that I see it featured on “Good News for Catholics”, so the red flag went up. Would this be a good evangelization tool, or does the Catholic author come out looking like a dunse? (He apologizes for not defending his faith as vigorously as he could in the online excerpt).

[quote=awfulthings9]Anyone read this book? Comments? I’ve had extensive dialgue with a pastor’s wife (she’s not evangelical, but closer to that than Catholic), and have made great progress and helping her to appreciate the Catholic faith. She now says on a regular basis that we’re not as different as she was brought up to believe and thinks most of it comes to a matter of semantics. Anyway, she came across this book the other day and thought we ought to go in halves and read over the summer. My only concern is that I see it featured on “Good News for Catholics”, so the red flag went up. Would this be a good evangelization tool, or does the Catholic author come out looking like a dunse? (He apologizes for not defending his faith as vigorously as he could in the online excerpt).
[/quote]

It is a great book. I have read it and would say that Fr. John R. Waiss does a great job in defending the Catholic position.

One thing though, the Protestant in the Letters (James McCarthy) does not truly deal with the Catholic position. For me, the issue they are discussing is settled in Section II: Teaching and Ruling Authority.

It is here they discuss the fundemental issue that divides Catholics and Protestants: Authority. In Sections II they don’t come to any sort of agreement and move on to lesser topics throughout the rest of the book.

Hope that helps.

If you have any other questions pleace feel free to let me know.

Peace

There was a review of this book in* This Rock* Magazine last year. You can view it here:

catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0407revw.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.