Letters of the local bishop of Medjugorje

catholiclight.stblogs.org/archives/2009/09/new-directives.html

Very interesting. Let us pray for Medjugorje and all the Church.

It’s terribly sad. I know of genuinely devout, enthusiastic Catholics who are still wrapped up in Medjugorje. In some cases, I would not have the heart to show them this, yet somehow they should be made aware.

What a mess.

Let us pray very earnestly for all involved.

These letters needed to be posted.

Instruction of the ignornant is a work of love and mercy.

I have read the letters and honestly, I don’t feel sad or happy.

If this “alleged apparition” turns out in the future to be legit, then it will be for the greater glory of God.

I personally would refrain from labeling the faithful as “ignorant” as I work with Love, Mercy and Charity.

“ignorant” is straight Latin for “they don’t know”. It ought not to be a derogatory term. And “instructing the ignorant” is indeed one of the Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy: an Act of Charity.

In the formal context of the catechism, it merely means filling in a gap in someone’s knowledge that is harmful to be allowed to continue.

This is an excellent commentary on Medjugorje:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=7627&CFID=16865049&CFTOKEN=63928506

“It must be understood that the bishop is in the Church and the Church in the bishop and he is not in the Church who is not with the bishop.”
– St. Cyprian of Carthage on schism

Relevant to your interests :wink:

Well, regardless of the legitimacy or illegitimacy of Medjugorje,
if the Bishop being discussed is Bishop Peric,
I read some time ago that Bishop Peric doesn’t believe in ANY apparitions of Mary,
not even Lourdes or Fatima.

And let me add to my comment above…
many years ago I was thrilled and excited by Medjugorje and was very
definitely open to it being a Miracle of God.

In the intervening years, I have come to have strong reservations about
Medjugorje and regard it with a jaundiced eye,
but still I would never question the faith-experiences of those
who received extraordinary spiritual graces while visiting Medjugorje
and participating in the prayers, confessions, masses, etc.

Then, by all means continue to use it.

Bishop Peric doesn’t have to believe in any Marian apparition

This is actually slander that people are using to disrespect the bishop. Don’t believe it. The bishop very much believes in Fatima and Lourdes, as is clear from this:

At Lourdes in 1858, the Madonna appeared as the “Immaculate Conception”, 18 times to Bernadette. The Church accepted these apparitions and four years afterwards declared them authentic, in 1862.
At Fatima in 1917, the Madonna appeared as “Our Lady of the Rosary” 6 times to the ten year old shepherd children Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta. 13 years later, in 1930, the Church accepted these apparitions as authentic.

Source: cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=101

Indeed, same here.

St. Jerome explained: “Between heresy and schism there is this difference, that heresy perverts dogma, while schism, by rebellion against the bishop, separates from the Church. Nevertheless there is no schism which does not trump up a heresy to justify its departure from the Church” (In Ep. ad Tit., iii, 10).

St. Ignatius of Antioch laid down this principle: “Where the bishop is there is the community, even as where Christ is there is the Catholic Church” (Smyrn., viii, 2).

“It is fitting that you be of one mind with the bishop, as you are, because your venerable presbyterium is attached to the bishop as the strings to the lyre” (Eph., vi, 1).

“You must not take advantage of the age of your bishop, but, being mindful of the power of God the Father, you should show him every manner of respect, as do the holy priests” (Magn., iii, 1).

St. Irenaeus says: “For the entire Church, that is all the faithful in the world, should be in agreement with this Roman Church, because of its superior pre-eminence; and in it all the faithful have preserved the Apostolic tradition” (iii, 2, 3).

“The priests of the Church are to be obeyed, those who are the successors of the Apostles and who with the episcopal succession have received an assured charisma of truth. Those who leave the successors of the Apostles and assemble in any separated place must be regarded with suspicion or as heretics, as men of evil doctrines, or as schismatics. Those who rend the unity of the Church receive the Divine chastisement awarded to Jeroboam; they must all be avoided” (iv, 26).

St. Cyprian says: “It must be understood that the bishop is in the Church and the Church in the bishop and he is not in the Church who is not with the bishop” (Epist., lxvi, 8).

“God is one, Christ is one, one is the Church, and one the chair founded on Peter by the word of the Lord” (Epist. lxx).

“This unity we bishops who govern in the Church should firmly uphold and defend, in order to show that the episcopate itself is one and undivided” (De ecclesiae unit., v).

“The spouse of Christ is chaste and incorruptible. Whoever leaves the Church to follow an adulteress renounces the promises of the Church. He that abandons the Church of Christ will not receive the rewards of Christ. He becomes a stranger, an ungodly man, an enemy. God cannot be a Father to him to whom the Church is not a mother. As well might one be saved out of the ark of Noah as out of the Church… He who does not respect its unity will not respect the law of God; he is without faith in the Father and the Son, without life, without salvation” (op. cit., viii).

St. Optatus explained: “Jesus Christ desired to attach unity to a definite center; to this end He made Peter the head of all the Apostles; to him He first gave the episcopal see of Rome, in which sole see unity should be preserved for all; he is therefore a sinner and a schismatic who would erect another see in opposition to it” (De schism. Don., ii, 2).

“Solictude for assuring unity caused blessed Peter to be preferred before all the Apostles and to receive alone the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven that he might admit others” (vii, 3).

St. Ambrose concludes: “Where Peter is, there is the Church; where the Church is there is no death but eternal life” (In Ps., xl, 30).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.