Lev 17-do not eat blood of animals

Hello to all,

Lev 7:

22 The Lord said to Moses, 23 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Do not eat any of the fat of cattle, sheep or goats. 24 The fat of an animal found dead or torn by wild animals may be used for any other purpose, but you must not eat it. 25 Anyone who eats the fat of an animal from which a food offering may be[c] presented to the Lord must be cut off from their people. 26 And wherever you live, you must not eat the blood of any bird or animal. 27 Anyone who eats blood must be cut off from their people.’”

In Lev 17:
13 “‘Any Israelite or any foreigner residing among you who hunts any animal or bird that may be eaten must drain out the blood and cover it with earth, 14 because the life of every creature is its blood. That is why I have said to the Israelites, “You must not eat the blood of any creature, because the life of every creature is its blood; anyone who eats it must be cut off.”

Anyway, I am helping a friend’s mom overcome this passage. She had been approached by an Iglesia ni Christo member. The INC member seems so focused on this one restriction and ignores the rest of the 613.

Question:

a) Is this part of the dietary restriction for the Jews during the OT?

2). What was the purpose of this restriction? What has to be gained by this restriction?

Note: I am aware that in the NT, the dietary restrictions have been dispensed with. I am trying to gain an understanding of this particular restriction with respect to the blood of animals.

Any insights from our Jewish friends are most certainly welcome

Yes, and vampires! :smiley:

Sarcasm aside, it really was a common view back then to see blood as the life force of an animal. So by eating something’s blood, you were eating its life, essentially. Which, of course, would be taboo.

**Deuteronomy 12:23-25 (Douay-Rheims)**23 Only beware of this, that thou eat not the blood, for the blood is for the soul: and therefore thou must not eat the soul with the flesh: 24 But thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water, 25 That it may be well with thee and thy children after thee, when thou shalt do that which is pleasing in the sight of the Lord.
It does not apply to fish, but kosher fish varieties are those with fins and scales.

So they ate really tough meat?

Nah. I checked. At least today, even rare meat is considered kosher. The prohibition seems to just mean you have to drain all the blood when slaughtering it, but the meat juices are fine.

Ey, don’t knock jerky. It’s good stuff.

Not for every meal. lol.

Well, that’s good to know. I was feeling really sorry for them. No blood pudding, though. lol.

The blood is drained by salting the meat. While rare meat may be kosher, some Orthodox rabbis will still prefer to eat meat which is well done.

To the OP: some of the commandments do not have a reason, at least none that we humans can decipher. It is not necessarily a matter of health, cleanliness, or what the blood represents. All the commandments are nonetheless to be obeyed, according to Torah Jews, since they are regarded as given to Moses directly by G-d.

On the contrary, all commandments have reasons, but humans need to open their hearts to understand them, and that can only be done if they listened to the one who descended from heavens…:slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Thanks…don’t werewolves like blood also?:smiley:

Are you aware of other cultures that use blood in some of their native foods?

Thanks, I knew there were parallel verses in Deutronomy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your insight. So all 613 laws are still followed by Jews?

Not all of the laws, since some require the Temple, which has been destroyed. Insofar as the other commandments are concerned, that depends on the Jew. The more orthodox Jews try to follow all of those laws that can be followed in the modern world, while other movements of Judaism are less strict about following them, particularly the dietary laws.

But the salting and removal of all marbleing would make for tough beef. Othodox Jews do not only drain the meat of blood, but they also cover it with salt to make sure every trace of blood and juice is gone.

You know one of the conditions for gentiles to enter the church was that we should not eat the blood of animals. I think we ought abide by that decision of the apostles, to the best we can (neither being ultra legalistic about it or totally lax concerning it). That’s the only comment I have, that at least one portion of the law of dietary restriction is still in effect for Christians.

The instruction refers to the Israelites only, and we are not Israelites we are gentiles,
also as a precaution to the israelites, a visitor living in the house of an Israelites must also adhere to this instruction as to avoid having conflicts within their community that’s why if an Israelite disobey he will be cutoff from the community, it only refers to the Israelites because a gentile cannot be cut off from a community which he does not belong to in the first place.

Also, its safe to note that a Gentile who is not living in an Israelite household is not bound by this instruction, as there is no such instruction for us

jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12984-sacrifice

we should not overlook the element of sacrifice In the text.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.