Levels in Heaven?

Hi,

I’ve heard conflicting information regarding this concept. I’ve heard that people can get to certain levels of Heaven based off of merits that we obtain on earth. On the other hand, I’ve heard we are all purified and purged of our sins through the process of purgatory and through which we all become equally pure, and thus are at equal levels of sainthood in Heaven.

Which is right? What does the Church teach on the matter? Is it possible for us to ever know?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote="Marie1234, post:1, topic:315654"]
Hi,

I've heard conflicting information regarding this concept. I've heard that people can get to certain levels of Heaven based off of merits that we obtain on earth. On the other hand, I've heard we are all purified and purged of our sins through the process of purgatory and through which we all become equally pure, and thus are at equal levels of sainthood in Heaven.

Which is right? What does the Church teach on the matter? Is it possible for us to ever know?

Thanks! :)

[/quote]

As I was taught long before Vatican II, everyone in heaven will be completely happy. There are degrees of happiness in heaven, though. God rewards us as He feels we deserve upon our entrance to heaven. Our nuns used math to help us understand this idea. A pint, a quart, and a gallon are unequal in size, but when filled can hold no more. The same will be our happiness in heaven. We will be rewarded according to how we loved and served God while on earth. Mother Teresa will be rewarded to a greater degree than someone who made heaven possible by a deathbed conversion...and deservedly so. However, in heaven all will be as happy as their capacity to hold happiness. God is good, and God is just. There will be no envy, no jealousy. Each is as happy as he can possibly be.

beautifully said, thank you :slight_smile:

Yes just like some saint are with the seraphim which are right in front of Gods throne while others are with angels on the out part of heaven.

[quote="rafarose, post:3, topic:315654"]
beautifully said, thank you :)

[/quote]

Thank you. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.