Leviathan?

Ive read a few threads on here about Leviathan and it seems many people claim this was a elephant or hippo, by the description, but after reading this statement about Leviathan from Book of Job, chapter 41, Im pretty sure it is not a hippo or elephant, and sounds like no creature that I know of, even the dinosaurs dont fit this description…Is it possible there were other creatures that existed during this time, that were totally unique, that we do not know of today?

“I will not fail to speak of Leviathan’s limbs, its strength and its graceful form.Who can strip off its outer coat? Who can penetrate its double coat of armor?Who dares open the doors of its mouth, ringed about with fearsome teeth?Its back has rows of shields tightly sealed together; each is so close to the next that no air can pass between.They are joined fast to one another; they cling together and cannot be parted.Its snorting throws out flashes of light; its eyes are like the rays of dawn.Flames stream from its mouth; sparks of fire shoot out.Smoke pours from its nostrils as from a boiling pot over burning reeds.Its breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from its mouth” (NIV).

I believe that dragons exist and that leviathan is a water dragon or sea serpent, it doesnt fit the dinosaurs descriptions that we know of so far and Im quite sure that when describing behemoth and leviathan in the book of job they seem much larger than modern elefants and crocodiles and hippos I know when I went to a baptist school a creation scientists came and discussed dragons with us and actually gave reference to the catholic bible talking about Bel in the book of daniel a dragon and behemoth and leviathan as being creatures our Lord created that we as modern humans are yet to discover

Sounds like a fire breathing dragon!

You know, I once saw someone say they thought it was theoretically possible.

Well, there was even a bug which emitted fire. It had some chemicals, when combined, that would react. It even had an inhibitor.

The author of that article on the bug said that maybe there was actually something to this about the dragons and all.

Well, we have all these legends about fire breathing dragons throughout all kinds of cultures, and something similar even in the Old Testament. It does seem curious.

I prefer the WHALE interpretation of Leviathan.

Animal planet gives another explanation for the fire breathing:

How did dragons breathe fire? A dragon chews on platinum with its grinding teeth. When combined with hydrogen, it combusts, producing fire.

animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/other/videos/dragons-fire-breathing-dragons-explained.htm

Also, we have the bombadier beetle.

There are a lot of legends about dragons, and remember even St. George!

So where did the platinum and H2 come from?

Platinum is really rare, that’s why it’s more costly than gold. There’s just not a lot of it for big beasties to chew on. Even if they chewed on metal ores anyway.

And hydrogen doesn’t often result from animal metabolism.

ICXC NIKA

I don’t know.

I once also saw something on the bombadier beetle. Actually, it doesn’t produce fire but something almost boiling in temperature…combination of chemicals, 2 or 3, and had an inhibitor until they combined so the beetle wouldn’t end up being harmed. VERY ingenius.

Some have suggested this fire breathing was theoretically possible, same principle, catalysts and such.

The one problem with the whale theory is that a whale doesn’t breathe fire or fit the other descriptions very well in my opinion. A dragon would.

Time travelers in costumes is the clear answer.

I thought that this is a Leviathan? :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly though, I always thought that the levaiathan was a Semitic mythical creature?

It’s usually Behemoth that is considered to be a hippo… :wink:

What I am posting here below, that I hope answer your question, is taken from the red number 314 in Ap 13:11 from this commentary on the Book of Revelation:

newtorah.org/Commentary.html

“The ‘beast from the sea’ makes the ‘beast from the land’ a full partner in the governance of his global empire. The cooperation between these two beasts, one resembling Leviathan and the other Behemoth, recalls an ancient Chassidic (Jewish) tradition concerning these two monsters. According to this tradition, the two monsters symbolize two complementary aspects of ‘spiritual service’: since the sea represents the hidden depths of the spiritual world, the sea monster, Leviathan, symbolizes those religious individuals who aspire to profound spiritual knowledge. Since the land represents the lower, visible world, the land monster, Behemoth, symbolizes those individuals whose religious activity is focused on preparing the lower, physical world for the spiritual revelations of the former class of service. In Revelation, there is one radical and essential difference: the ‘sea’, or ‘Abyss’, represents the unredeemed spiritual world, with the result that whereas, in the Chassidic tradition, the service symbolized by the two monsters is directed towards Hashem (God), the two beasts that represent these monsters in Revelation are servants of Satan (cf. Rev 2,24).”

In the love of Christ’s Revelation,
Gloria

I would love to hear how you can get a whale from that description? seriously.

Behemoth is said to have a tail that sways like a cedar…hippos have short little tails…???

It’s an image.

The Bible is full of horses that say “Aha!” when they smell battle, donkey’s that speak, sheep with spots and stripes, Oxes that leap from mountain to mountain and shake the earth, creatures with seven horns and ten eyes, etc.

Leviathan is an image - hippo, whale, or whatever - it is a description meant to convey spiritual realities about God.

-Tim-

Hebrew folklore seems to have assigned one supreme creature to each environment – Leviathan for the sea, Behemoth for the land, and a third one for the air that I forget because it’s not as well-known.

I’m not sure it’s important whether the descriptions refer to creatures that actually exist; the writer may just have taken characteristics from the biggest, baddest animals he knew of, then combined and exaggerated them to make the ultimate beast. The Greeks did that plenty of times with their mythological monsters, and even modern authors and filmmakers have done it to give us creatures more terrible than anything living so that they can represent larger, less tangible fears. Think of Lovecraft’s Cthulhu (man-dragon-octopus meant to illustrate the smallness of humanity’s vaunted power and knowledge) or Toho Studio’s Godzilla (dinosaur-dragon-atomic bomb personifying the horrors of nuclear devastation and the wrath of an injured earth).

Leviathan, in particular, is a representation of the primordial Chaos – “the deep” of the first chapter of Genesis. Various mythologies with which the Hebrews would have been familiar present a dragon or monster as the representative of Chaos that must be slain by a heroic god before Creation can be accomplished. (The war of Marduk against Tiamat in Babylonian mythology is the most notable example.) Of course, just as the six-day Creation story borrows from the Babylonian account while making corrections to reinforce God’s supremacy – insisting that the sun and moon are merely “lights” placed for our convenience rather than gods, for example – the hints we have of a battle between God and Leviathan present it not as man against dragon but as fisherman against a large fish. The point of God’s monologue in the book of Job is that God is bigger than, and in charge of, even the most titanic and uncontrollable things humans can imagine. That doesn’t require there to be a physical animal called Leviathan any more than it requires the ocean to be a proud and rebellious entity that woul have risen higher had God not ordered it to stop at a specific point of high tide.

Usagi

The ancient Jews often used parable and metaphor to describe things and situations, Jesus was a master of this form of reference.

Well, especially the fire breathing part. It sounds like a very accurate description of what our legends call fire breathing dragons. That’s the closest analogy I’ve ever been able to come.

It says it can start fire with its breath! Also, wondered about all that with the eyes.

What if there were something to that about dragons. What if there were some kind of explanation, that it was probably similar to something prehistoric, maybe, and there could exist some explanation for the fire…like some suggest…catalysts.

Prehistoric creatures really had some tough hides! :wink:

I have read alot of things that suggest actual fire-breathing dragons did in fact exist…at some point in time. Is also important to keep in mind the word ‘dinosaur’ was not coined until the 1800s, so before that, the people had to call these creatures something, so they called them something that would reflect their appearance, behemoth, leviathan, these are words that describe something BIG.

We all already know dinosaurs existed, its not really a stretch imo to suggest one type may have been able to breathe fire. they all had their defense mechanisms, and even a beetle that exists today, can shoot boiling liquid and cause what looks like an explosion, to defend itself. I dont know why some people have such a hard time believing these creatures existed…Maybe they dont like it, because it does not mesh well with darwins theory LoL

Then why did they go into such detail when describing these creatures appearances, and physical attributes? Job, chpter 41 goes extremely in depth, and if it was supposed to be symbolic or a metaphor, why describe in such detail, the particulars about their bodies, tails, eyes, mouths, ‘defensive plates and spikes’ in various places? This is a CLEAR physical description of something they saw in real life, they did not have the word ‘dinosaur’ to let others know what they meant, they had to come up with words to best fit what they were seeing.

But it all boils down to the fact that God can do ANYTHING, he can create ANYTHING, we already know he created dinosaurs, we know they were massive (some of them anyway), its not a stretch imo to suggest some of these creatures also existed along side mankind, and really makes no difference either way, they are just another animal God created.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.