Leviticus and Perpetual Virginity of Mary question

Hey All,

I’m in an e-mail conversation with a protestant radio show host. He has agreed that Jesus was conceived by Holy Spirit in Mary.

I want to point out that Leviticus shows that Joseph, in obeying Levitical Law, could not have had sexual relations with Mary from that point on.

I know that David shows this Law when he takes back the 10 wifes Absolom slept with, but he had no relations with them (2 Sam 20:3).

Could someone please point me in the right direction in Leviticus please?

Thank you :signofcross:
Poor Knight of Christ

I think the law you are looking for is Deuteronomy 24:1-4 - “When a man takes a wife, and marries her, then it shall be, if she find no favor in his eyes, because he has found some unseemly thing in her, that he shall write her a bill of divorce, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. When she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man’s wife. …[H]er former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the Lord.” (Deuteronomy 24:1-2, 4)

Tim Staples makes some good arguments below. His sixth argument seems to touch on what you are saying, but I would rather redirect the discussion to Mary as the Ark, which is much stronger in my opinion.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041223165328/http://www.catholicresourcecenter.org/news/index.html

The consecration of the Sanctuary was both sacred and permanent. To use the Temple or abuse it in any way brought about the “fierce anger” of the Lord!

And, of course, the **Ark of the Covenant: Numbers 4:17-20: **
The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Let not the tribe of the families of the Kohathites be destroyed from among the Levites; but deal thus with them, that they may live and not die when they come near to the most holy things: Aaron and his sons shall go in and appoint them each to his task and to his burden, but **they shall not go in to look upon the holy things even for a moment, lest they die.”
**Both the “men of Besthsames” in I Samuel 6:19-7:2 and Uzzah, the Kohathite, in II Samuel 6:1-9, found out in dramatic fashion that God is very serious about that which he has consecrated for a purpose!
As St. Jerome put it so succinctly in “On the Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary Against Helvidius,” paragraph 7:
**Would he [Joseph], who knew such great wonders, have dared touch the temple of God, the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit, the Mother of his Lord?
St. Joseph new full and well the one with whom he was living. If he touches her, he is a dead man! If one understands that Mary is consecrated to God as the Ark of the Covenant, the Perpetual Virginity of Mary is a given! If you also consider (and we will again in a moment) that Mary is the “spouse of the Holy Spirit,” again, St. Joseph could never have conjugal relations with her.

See Mary as Ark here
defendingthebride.com/ma4/arknew.html

Joseph knew that Jesus what conceived by Holy Spirit. Out of reverence for the sacred he was going to divorce her. see
defendingthebride.com/sn/toseph.html

To help the Protestant appreciate the sense of the Sacred, that is how God’s grace works in and through natural and created things , see
defendingthebride.com/mc/relics.html

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.