Levon Helm 'in final stages' of battle with cancer

content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/04/levon-helm-in-final-stages-of-battle-with-cancer/1#.T47qxrNSSoQ

Levon Helm’s family is asking for your prayers.
In a letter posted on his website, wife Sandy and daughter Amy write that The Band singer and drummer, 71, could use some positive thoughts:
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.
Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage…

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

For those of you who, like me, love the music of The Band and Levon’s distinctive voice, this is sad news.

John

I was saddened to see this news. Although I am not familiar with the Band, I know it is legendary. And I really enjoyed his 2009 album, Electric Dirt.

He has been creating new and interesting music right up til now. When creative artists such as him die, the world is worse off.

I read the announcement on his Facebook page this morning. I am deeply saddened to hear this; I had been under the impression for the past few years, since the release of “Dirt Farmer”, that he had won that battle, but apparently it came back. :frowning:

I offer my sincere prayers for he and his family. His renditions of “Calvary” and “Wide River to Cross” have been great bolsters to my faith in some of my darker moments. Most people I know can’t stand the sound of his post-operation voice, but to me it is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever heard: so full of soul, passion and honesty, and above all, determination and joy in the face of the most harrowing circumstanes. May the Lord grant him a peaceful passing and a blessed hereafter.

Wide River to Cross- one of the most beautiful songs ever committed to tape

RIP Levon.

What a great artist! I have really enjoyed his music over the years. This morning my younger daughter and I listened to his recent cover of the Grateful Dead’s “Tennesse Jed.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.