LGBT activist leader faces sex crimes charges involving teen [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Judge_gavel_on_table_Credit_Creative_Commons_via_Elizabeth_Ziegler_Flickr_CNA.jpgPortland, Ore., Nov 25, 2014 / 12:02 am (CNA).- A founder of the Human Rights Campaign, an influential gay advocacy group that has begun targeting Catholic bishops for protests, has been arrested for alleged sexual abuse of a teen boy in Oregon.

Terrence Patrick Bean, 66, was indicted on two felony counts of third-degree sodomy and one misdemeanor count of third-degree sex abuse related to an alleged sexual encounter in Eugene, Ore. with a 15-year-old boy in 2013, the newspaper The Oregonian reports.

Kiah Lawson, a 25-year-old reported to be an ex-boyfriend of Bean, was also indicted on the same charges. Both had met the teen through a homosexual dating app, CNN reports.

Lawson had allegedly found that Bean had been surreptitiously videotaping his sexual encounters with Lawson and at least six other men. Lawson and his then-lawyer and demanded about $40,000 in alleged damages in return for screenshots of some of the videos.

Bean went to police alleging that he was being extorted, prompting the investigation that led to charges against both men.

Jeffrey Dickey, who served as Lawson’s lawyer, objected to charges against his client, saying Lawson had helped authorities find the teen.

Kristen Winemiller, Bean’s lawyer, said that her client is cooperating with the investigation and was “the victim of an extortion ring.” The charges against him should not be taken “at face value,” she said.

Detectives in Portland’s Sex Crime Unit are leading the case in cooperation with district attorneys’ offices in Clackamas and Lane counties.

Bean is a co-founder of the Human Rights Campaign and of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund. He has been a major fundraiser for Democratic Party candidates, including President Barack Obama, the Oregonian reported.

The Human Rights Campaign said that Bean is one of 80 board members of the organization and has no daily oversight or responsibility for its programs. He has taken a voluntary leave of absence from the board “until his issues are resolved,” a spokesman told CNN.

In late 2014, the Human Rights Campaign began a publicity effort against eight “outspoken” Catholic bishops in the U.S. in hopes of changing Catholic practice and moral doctrine. The activism was related to the Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family, which the campaign saw as “the opportunity to create a precedent for change.”

The organization has many corporate partners in its LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) activism. It has lobbied businesses to push for “LGBT equality” in legislation and corporate policy, to recruit self-identified LGBT employees and to give financial support for LGBT organizations through LGBT-targeted marketing or advertising and philanthropic support.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/WC6jHDROCyo

Full article…

Ew. Hebephilic actions should be highly criticized, regardless of sexual orientation.

Absolutely, we also must remember that in the American legal system someone is innocent until proven guilty.

Given the text of Oregon’s law

§ 163.385¹
Sodomy in the third degree

(1) A person commits the crime of sodomy in the third degree if the person engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person under 16 years of age or causes that person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse.

(2) Sodomy in the third degree is a Class C felony. [1971 c.743 §112]

Specifically “causes that person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse” the law itself might be found problematic given Lawrence v. Texas and right to privacy.

It’s still wrong even if he gets off on a technicality since Oregon didn’t update its laws.

Of course it is.

Probably not, the issue here is more commonly known as statutory rape.

Indeed, it would be statutory rape.

What is the 2014 Age of Consent in Oregon?

The Oregon legal Age of Consent for sexual contact is 18 years old. There are a total of eleven states have set their age of consent at 18 years old, the highest legal age of consent in any state.

Oregon has a 3-year close-in-age exception to the age of consent, so the perpetrator cannot be prosecited if he is less then 3 years older then the minor. Older perpetrators will be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony based on the age of the victim: Under 18 - Defined as Sexual Abuse 3 (Class A Misdemeanor), Under 16 - Defined as Rape 3 / Sodomy 3 (Class C Felony) , Under 14 - Defined as Rape 2 / Sodomy 2 (Class B Felony) and Under 12 - Defined as Rape 1 / Sodomy 1 (Class A Felony).

It is true that any act of sodomy against a minor, no matter what the sexual orientation of the perpetrator is, is wrong and should be criticised. I would go farther, as it is criminal and the perpetrator needs to be punished according to current law on age of consent.

It is interesting that if it was a Catholic priest, the term we would hear would be pedophilia, not hebephilia, notwithstanding that a majority of the Catholic child sex abuse cases were hebephilic acts.

It is also interesting that the suspect in this case is the 66 year old HRC founder, a homosexual activist targetting Catholic bishops for their vocal opposition against same sex marriage. If his sodomitical rape of the 15 year old boy from Eugene is proven, this is a clear case that overlap does happen with homosexuality and philia for minors.

Let’s see what the gay affirming media will do with this piece of news.

I don’t think Lawrence applies to this law, which is directed at sexual abuse of minors and not specifically homosexual acts. There is no right to privacy to commit criminal acts. :shrug:

Besides the 2 felony charges, there is a 3rd sex abuse charge. If the abuse was video taped…he’s going to jail.

“or causes that person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse”
is a bit problematic after Lawrence v. Texas

Indeed.

What is the 2014 Age of Consent in Oregon?

The Oregon legal Age of Consent for sexual contact is 18 years old. There are a total of eleven states have set their age of consent at 18 years old, the highest legal age of consent in any state.
Oregon has a 3-year close-in-age exception to the age of consent, so the perpetrator cannot be prosecited if he is less then 3 years older then the minor. Older perpetrators will be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony based on the age of the victim: Under 18 - Defined as Sexual Abuse 3 (Class A Misdemeanor), Under 16 - Defined as Rape 3 / Sodomy 3 (Class C Felony) , Under 14 - Defined as Rape 2 / Sodomy 2 (Class B Felony) and Under 12 - Defined as Rape 1 / Sodomy 1 (Class A Felony).

Let’s see how the gay affirming media handles this piece of news.

If it were a Catholic priest involved, especially one who might have been under the Catholic bishops the defendant is targeting, the headline would scream pedophilia. Different and as far away from homosexuality as possible. Never mind if the instant case and majority of the Church child sex abuse cases are hebephiliac as category.

It is interesting to read a distinction being made right off the bat in this case that it is hebephilia, the reported minor victim being 15 years old. I agree that no matter what the sexual orientation of the perpetrator is, the act is wrong and should be criticised. I would go farther, that it is a disgusting criminal violation that merits punishment under the consent law as it regards sexual misconduct with youth.

It is likewise interesting that the defendant is the 66 year old high powered gay activist founder of HRC allegedly being extorted by his 25 year old homosexual ex-boyfriend. It appears that Mr. Bean prefers his partners young, and if the allegation is true with the 15 y.o. victim, there is overlap in his homosexual predilection with disordered attraction to minors. My oh my. That does not square away with gay apologists claiming that homosexuality has no connection with philia for minors.

Further, this “hero” to the gay cause was

A Top Obama Donor

It squares just fine–or do you want to posit a necessary connection between the Catholic priesthood and child abuse just because some Catholic priests abuse children?

Good luck in your search. I hope you find it soon.

Not really. Lawrence didn’t ban all sodomy laws. They banned sodomy laws that were targeted to msm & wsw. This law is neutral in language. A man who sodomizes a 15 year old girl could still be prosecuted under this law.

Since you asked, I will explain my understanding of the Church sex abuse of minors, the cases of abuse I do not defend. Not at all. Abuse is abuse.

It is not surprising that homosexuals and pedophiles are over represented in the clergy than in larger society, since the vocation is a logical draw for those with inclination. I do not disbelieve that the cases were cases of opportunity. I don’t disbelieve the stats from the John Jay Report, which revealed that the majority of victims (81 percent) were male and that most of the sexual abuse victims of priests (51 percent) were between the ages of eleven and fourteen, while 27 percent were fifteen to seventeen, 16 percent were eight to ten, and nearly 6 percent were under age seven.

However, I do question the conclusion reached that the abuse of children and adolescents by Catholic priests was totally unrelated to homosexuality. There are professionals who question it as a matter of fact.

Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Clergy

The reports The Nature and Scope of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests and Deacons in the United States 1950–2002 and the Supplementary Data Analysis, and The Causes and Context study (2011) by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, concluded that the childhood and adolescent sexual abuse committed by clergy was totally unrelated to homosexuality.

The latest John Jay attempt to explain the deliberate homosexual predation and abuse of adolescent males, the primary victims in the crisis, as a crime of opportunity ignores the severe psychological conflicts and grooming behaviors in priests who offended against minors. This article discusses why the studies used to support the view of the abuse of minors as being not related to homosexuality are not applicable to the problem of clergy childhood sexual abuse.

The data in the John Jay reports strongly suggests that homosexual abuse of adolescent males is at the heart of the crisis. The psychological causes of homosexual attraction in men to adolescent males are presented. A number of well-designed studies have found that men with SSA are more likely to have psychiatric and substance abuse disorders and STDs than heterosexual males, and are more likely to have a positive attitude to sexual relations between adult and adolescent males. Competent mentalhealth professionals should offer a second opinion about the causes of the crisis in regard to the psychological conflicts in the priests. Also, priests and seminarians with deep-seated homosexual tendencies have a serious responsibility to pursue appropriate treatment and spiritual direction in order to protect adolescent males, in particular, and the Church from further damage.

In continuation of this discussion, it is necessary make the necessary definitions and categories.

Pedophilia is a dominant sexual attraction to children and the most significant cause of child molestation. Not all who suffer from pedophilia act on the inclination to sexually abuse children. When I sat in training to be a Virtus facilitator for my diocese, the reported statistic of priests attracted to minors was 1 - 7 %, with 2 - 4 % who have perpetrated in abuse of minors. Is that the same outside the priesthood? I don’t know, but Dr. Gene Abel (CNN special Thieves of Childhood) estimates that between 1% and 5% of our population molest children.

Terminology:

Pedophilia - sex attraction to pre pubescent minors, 10 and under

Hebephilia - sex attraction to pubescent minors, approximately 11-14 (to early teens)

Ephebophilia - sex attraction to post pubescent youth or adolescents 15 - 18 (late teens)

[Con’t]

[Con’t]

I take from your remark that for you there is no connection between homosexuality and philia for minors. I say there is some overlap, my reasoning below.

According to The Abel and Harlow Child Molestation Study, 2001 (which had a revision in text as can be noted on the header)

cmrpi.org/pdfs/study.pdf

More than 70% of he men who molest boys rate themselves as heterosexual in their adult sexual preference. 9% report that they are equally heterosexual and homosexual. 8 % report they are exclusively homosexual. The majority of men who molest boys are also married, divorced, widowed or living with adult partners.

[An aside: the percentage of exclusively homosexual sexual preference as cited from the Abel study during my Virtus training was 21%, and I don’t know where or how the error from the material came about, if there was a revision on this specific stat. I note that more than 70% plus 8 % and 9% do not add up to 100% in the online linked study. Nevertheless, let’s take the 8 % to be correct since it is what is stated in the link of the direct source.]

Being that heterosexuals are 97 % of the adult population, and homosexuals are 3%, it is not surprising that in sheer numbers and proportion, majority of pedophiles would be heterosexuals. Dr. Abel estimates that 1 to 5 % in our population molest children.

8 % (which is self reported) is the percentage of molesters to be exclusively homosexual, with half of 9 % what would be the percentage of molesters to be bisexual. Put said stats side by side with and consider that only 2 to 3 % of the adult population are homosexuals.

Take away a position that suits you. I do not posit that all homosexuals are pedophiles or vice-versa. What I posit is that there is some overlap, which is not zero and not insignificant, between homosexuality and pedophilia, or more accurately, philia with minors.

Which brings us to the case of Mr. Terence Bean, 66 y.o. gay activist and HRC co-founder, and his 25 y.o. ex boyfriend Mr Kiah Lawson, subject in the OP. They were arrested for the charge of criminal sexual molestation of the 15 y.o. male from Eugene, Oregon. If the reported evidence holds up, this would be an example of the overlap I am talking about. Some homosexuals do prey on youth, including minors who may not be able to give consent by law.

They didn’t ban sodomy laws that way, if they had then Justice O’Connor’s concurrent opinion would not have been necessary.

If this person is truly guilty of the actions that he is accused of then of course I condemn those actions that he did. However, I still support Human Rights Campaign.

They only addressed sodomy laws that targeted homosexual acts. They said nothing about sodomy laws that applied to everyone. (Not sure there ever was such a law anyway, but this is getting off topic.)

So…Why do you think that encouraging an adult to abuse a child or encouraging a child to have sex with an adult would violate Lawrence?

That would have been the logical and absolutely constitutional thing to do, but they didn’t do it, reread it.

I think the part on “deviate sexual intercourse” might be problematic and I’d be very upset if he turns out to have done stuff to that boy, but he gets away with it on the law being a problem.

I used the phrase “necessary connection” because I reject the premise that being gay means you’re a likely pedophile, but there is also no real denying that some homosexuals are also pedophiles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.