Liaing...

Is it a mortal or venial sin, I’ve heard that it is only a venial sin no matter what…

It can be mortal too.Say if you knoew someone in your family(like in Florida)had kidnapped a girl to rape and kill her and when questioned you lied and said you know nothing,I would think that would be mortal.

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]It can be mortal too.Say if you knoew someone in your family(like in Florida)had kidnapped a girl to rape and kill her and when questioned you lied and said you know nothing,I would think that would be mortal.
[/quote]

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here. What about a priest who is questioned and is under the oath of his priesthood (ie somebody confessed these sins to him.)

He would say, “I’m not at liberty to tell” or some such thing. Not “I know nothing.” Wasn’t there a Hitchcock movie about that?

thats correct, the priest may never disclose that which is revealed to him in the confessional. he must simply state that he is not at liberty to speak of such matters and, as it is his religious right to remain silent, there is no acceptable coercion to make the priest reveal any information.

It is a mortal sin to lie under oath. If you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God, you are swearing that God Himself will testify to the truth of your statements. To lie under that condition is to call God a liar.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.