Liberal Catholics, why are you still members of The Church?

Not to be uncharitable, but if you don’t love it and what it stands for why stay? If you want a church that ordains women’s and accept gays and wants on demand abortion, go be a unitarian or a lutheran or what have you. Why do you stay? What keeps you catholic?

I would not describe myself a “liberal” Catholic, but those who are, I have the feeling, remain Catholic for community. It is what they have known for their whole lives.

This is pretty spot on. I’d add that in some places it’s the “cultural” or “cradle” element as well.

Well with a name like Young Trad Cath I wouldn’t expect you to be liberal. Also, don’t think I mean economically. I’m talking about people who promote abortion gay marriage, married or women priests. I myself am more of an economic moderate, but I love my church and respect its views no matter how harsh they may seem

Not all liberal Catholics want gay marriage, women priests or abortion on demand:eek:

On this forum you might be labelled a liberal Catholic if you go to Adoration in your sandals, hold hands during the Our Father, and like to shake hands at the kiss of peace!:shrug:

You might think me a liberal Catholic if I don’t believe in Biblical literalism in Genesis, believe in Evolution, like the OF, and take communion in the hand (all of which I do).

So why do I stay? 'Cos its my Church buddy! I belong to the Body of Christ: It’s my God, my Lord present in the Eucharist, my parish, and the place where I do my ministries, and where my family worships, and where my daughter serves on the altar:thumbsup:.

This is a rather uncharitable OP - certainly not anything that is going to change hearts and reconvert people. As long as people are in the Church and attending Mass, however infrequently, they are hearing the Word of God and are within our grasp to pull them back fully into the fold.

They remain because they are, and remain, Catholic for life.

Baptism leaves an indelible mark. This is recognized by the Church that removed the ability to renounce one’s faith in the 1983 Code of Canon Law.

So lawfully, they cannot be kicked out of the Church, nor can they leave of their own volition. They can cease to practice, they can practice something else, or they can remain active and be a fly in some people’s ointment. What they cannot do is to cease becoming Catholic. God does not take back His sacraments.

Depending on how public or notorious a person is may get them excommunicated, or simply be in a state of sin, or in some cases, in a state of vincible or invincible ignorance. None cause one to be kicked out of the Church. Excommunication is not forcing someone to leave the Church, it is discipline for someone in the Church.

I’m afraid that heretics, apostates, casual Catholics and, yes “liberals” whatever that means, have been around since day 1 and will be with us at the last day.

The secret, IMHO, is to not worry too much about them but worry instead about one’s own journey. Be obedient, remain Orthodox, charitable, faithful and prayerful. God will take care of the rest.

Papa disagrees…

lifesitenews.com/news/pope-suggests-its-best-to-be-honest-and-leave-the-church-if-you-dont-believ

It’s an honest question. Are they truly just struggling intellectually? Not really. Many have been told proper doctrine and just reject it in favor of their own brand.

In fact, I think many hope to change the Church. They inject heresy. Scripture ain’t touchy-feely on the subject of heresy and the heretics who espouse it. Neither are the Fathers.

I've been kind of puzzled by this too - I know a liberal Catholic who appears to believe Jesus may not have been sinless and that He never taught homosexuality as being wrong.

I think it is our call now for those of us who know better to evangelize our more liberal brothers and sisters and or volunteer to teach the younger generations so this doesn’t continue. Jesus didn’t give the Apostles idle time so I don’t think we have earned idle time either.

*Lumen Gentium – the Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Church – paragraph 14:

To be in full communion with the Catholic Church one must accept all the teachings of the Church and all the means of sanctification in three main sources:

a) the profession of Faith
b) the sacraments
c) the ecclesiastical government of the Church

I agree, if you want to make God to your own imagine and likeness and disobey the Church then you should join some other Church.

I pray for all lapsed and heretic Catholics.

:signofcross::gopray2:

You would do well to get to know your Faith so that you can defend it. It is interesting and beautiful and true.

Because they believe they are correct and the Catholic Church should reflect that. Because we (all of us) can be confused, prideful, arrogant, misguided, idolatrous, in short imperfect. It that was not the case, then no need for Christ to suffer the cross. He did die for everyone, and giving your assent to doctrine is just the beginning of faith.

I think that triumphguy has an excellent grasp of the faith, if you look through his posts. :wink:

i have only been Catholic for 4 years, so i haven’t been around that long, but i was shocked to learn how many liberal Catholics there are that don’t support many of the teachings of the Catholic church. it was very disheartening. i believe as another poster said, Catholicism is all they know. they love being Catholic, and i feel they want to remain Catholic, but pick and choose what they like and don’t like about the teachings. i have met many that support gay marriage, homosexuality, are hoping someday to see female priests presiding over the Mass. others have told me that reason they stay is to try to change the church. i asked one of my friends once why she didn’t join another church if she believe in pro-choice, homosexuality, gay marriage, female priests. she looked shocked as though she would not even think of it. she even takes communion at the protestant churches her daughter attends when she goes to the services with her. she is in her 80’s and a cradle Catholic. very feisty. it is very confusing for me that they don’t seem to see a conflict in worshipping as a Catholic and at the same time in total disagreement with the Church on many, many issues.

Or I might just think you were a believing Catholic without any qualifiers. :slight_smile:

Here you are starting with a logical fallacy, you are implying that people that disagree with some of the Church teachings or disciplines do not love the Church. Just because I do not like someone I still love them, and a lot of people might have the same attitude toward the Church. Honestly, I think that people that truly do not love the Church already left her.

Not all liberal Catholics want gay marriage, women priests or abortion on demand

On this forum you might be labelled a liberal Catholic if you go to Adoration in your sandals, hold hands during the Our Father, and like to shake hands at the kiss of peace!

You might think me a liberal Catholic if I don’t believe in Biblical literalism in Genesis, believe in Evolution, like the OF, and take communion in the hand (all of which I do).

So why do I stay? 'Cos its my Church buddy! I belong to the Body of Christ: It’s my God, my Lord present in the Eucharist, my parish, and the place where I do my ministries, and where my family worships, and where my daughter serves on the altar.

Amen, Sister! couldn’t have said it better. :thumbsup:

oops! TriumphGuy ... sorry !!!!! :o :confused:

I meant:

*Amen, Brother! *

Wow - thanks for that.:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t actually remember saying that I don’t know and/or teach the faith - or that I don’t live the teachings of the Church either.

Carry on.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.