Liberationist Theologies - Role in Formation of Theological Positions

Since the 1960’s largely due to the trend of decolonizaiton of many former colonies in the world the human experience of the marginalized, colonized and otherwise silenced voices of pre-60’s production of knowledge there emerged many new theoretical perspectives including feminist, queer, ethnic based theories that all contributed towards understanding things in a new way through incoporating individual, social and cultural expeirience.

This ia also true in the developmetnt of theology. Women have borrowed feminist theology, the queer community (inlusive of gay, lesbian, bisexual transgendered communities), africans, native americans, asians, etc., have used their experience to create ethnic based perspective from which to look at the teachings of the church.

I am personally excited about this because for the first time in history we are now moving towards the global fulfillment of Jesus’ mandate to the church to go forth into the world, etc., the beauty of this command is the incutluration fo the chruch into many cultures, the church grows too as it shares the good news of Jesus…so now we have an African Jesus, a Native American and Asian Jesus…wonderful stuff.

I do believe that we will be seeing many challenges to status quo systematic theological positions and I think that is a good thing…what is your opinion on new theological perspectives that incorporate the human experience into the forumla of producing theological perspectives in understaniding the scriptures, the teachings of the chruch fathers and mothers, the teaching fo the church itself, etc.?

Spock2022

I think those types of liberation theologies had their hey day in the 1970s and are on the decline, not the rise. But maybe I’m wrong. :shrug:

Yeah, no I don’t think that they are in decline…for two reasons; (1) they have new names with a more diversified set of objectives and arguements…“liberationist” is the umbrella that I use for theological frameworks that incorporate human experience in addition to scripture and tradition and (2) the concern of the church is very much social justice, so there is a lot of activity around theological concerns…we have ethnic based theologies, feminist and even “eco-theology” is very important because it embraces a wholistic model that links the earth with social justice and that makes a lot of sense to me…

But you know Joe, who really knows the long-term trends on these theoretical frameworks…many previously thought works done 100s of years ago, get reinvented and/or speak to contemporary issues from a historical perspective…so I am not personally concerned about whether theological frameworks in the liberationist camp are on the decline or raise, I like to learn, and take what I can from each of the forms of liberationist (not note “liberation” but liberationist theologies…)…

Cheerz

Spock2022

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.