[Liberian Christian Leaders:] 'God Is Angry With Liberia'

Please note: CAF rules require me to use the news article’s headline as the title of a thread in the news forums. I added the text in brackets to clarify it.

From the Liberian Observer:

More than 100 Bishops, Pastors, General Overseers, Prophets, Evangelists and other Ministers of the Gospel, under the auspices of the Liberia Council of Churches (LCC), converged Wednesday at the edifice of the St. Stephen Episcopal Church on 10th Street in Sinkor, Monrovia, to deliberate on the Church’s role in and response to the Ebola epidemic.

The meeting was called by Archbishop Jonathan B.B. Hart, President of the LCC, who was also recently elected and enthroned Archbishop of the Internal Province of West Africa.

(snip)

The meeting was expected to discuss and consider an enhanced spiritual response by the church in Liberia to the prevailing Ebola virus.

The men of God, meanstream Episcopalians and non-denominational evangelicals alike, unanimously endorsed the following resolution:

That God is angry with Liberia, and that Ebola is a plague. Liberians have to pray and seek God’s forgiveness over the corruption and immoral acts (such as homosexualism, etc.) that continue to penetrate our society. As Christians, we must repent and seek God’s forgiveness.

That a three-day indoor fast and prayer across the nation be observed, commencing next Wednesday, August 6th, and concluding Friday, August 8th.

That an inter-denominational committee be constituted to present said resolution to government.

That if government is in agreement, the Republic of Liberia be locked up for three days of fast and prayer. All movement should be restricted during those three days. People should stay at home for three days of silence, fasting and prayer.

(remainder snipped)

It might be nice if you, in your charity, could join in this effort and say a decade or 5 of the Rosary for the next three days.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Maybe some other nations should do this also!!! (Altho mention a few more sins; singling out only 1 seems lopsided imo!)

This is very interesting. I wonder if God really is angry with Liberia because of various sins in their nation? I honestly have no idea. I don’t presume to know what God feels. I do know that God condemns sins but then again, I also have no idea what the spiritual condition of Liberia and its people is.

That said, regardless of whether or not the Ebola epidemic is a punishment from God, we should pray for them and if possible, donate to any charities that are helping those suffering from Ebola.

I also believe that regardless of whether or not God is punishing Liberia, we should still pray, do penance, and make reparation for the sins of the world. It certainly can’t hurt.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.