Libyan Militias Seize Control of Capital as Chaos Rises

From bad to worse:

The government of Libya said Monday that it had lost control of its ministries to a coalition of militias that had taken over the capital, Tripoli, in another milestone in the disintegration of the state.

“The government reiterates that these buildings and the public headquarters are not safe and inaccessible, because they are under the control of armed men,” the government said in a statement. It was issued from the eastern city of Tobruk, where the recently elected Parliament has convened in territory controlled by a renegade general who has tried to stage a coup d’état.

The statement indicated the emergence of two rival centers of government — one in Tripoli and the other in Tobruk — each all but powerless.
nytimes.com/2014/09/02/world/africa/militias-seize-control-of-libyan-capital.html

I suppose this result wasn’t inevitable. Would it have been possible, after the fall of Gadhafi, to keep the various warlords from tearing each other apart? What would this have required?

[quote]"Islamist militias in Libya took control of nearly a dozen commercial jetliners last month, and western intelligence agencies recently issued a warning that the jets could be used in terrorist attacks across North Africa.

Intelligence reports of the stolen jetliners were distributed within the U.S. government over the past two weeks and included a warning that one or more of the aircraft could be used in an attack later this month on the date marking the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against New York and Washington, said U.S. officials familiar with the reports.

“There are a number of commercial airliners in Libya that are missing,” said one official. “We found out on September 11 what can happen with hijacked planes.”

[/quote]

Yet another example of wonderful nation building by NATO.

Why are these people fighting? after all, they had freedom bombs dropped on their heads.

I don’t think its all on NATO. Some of this is just bad Islam Extremists who are beyond hard headed and want to cause chaos.

Plus I think NATO has done a lot more good than bad. Have they as an organization made mistakes? Of course, but overall they have been better for the World,

So then we have issues in Libya, Pakistan, Syria, and Iraq. All we need is Egypt, Afganistan and Iran to fall completely into chaos and we’ll have a straight line from India to central Africa… Straight through the entire Middle East…! :smiley:

I knew someone that was JW. With their obsession about Armegeddon. He was always saying the world would end at WWIII over the Muslims and oil.

I’m not JW at all, but I’m beginning to think he may have had a point.

Their are nukes in that part of the world, and I think some of the Muslims may be crazy enough to use them.

Looks like a number of airliners may have fallen into Islamist hands.

It is interesting how these tribal people are able to work for the same cause using similar techniques. They then unilaterally dismantle an entire region while remaining seperate.

Its funny how people can become so sold on an ideology… I guess thats what happens when there is no materialism. :shrug:

Im hoping someone disagrees… I don’t want to be right on this one. :o

This is very disconcerting!!! I believe it is eleven commercial airliners to be exact.

I was hoping someone might start a thread on this one topic.
I don’t know how to link to a news story.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.