Licit To Pray PreVatican II Breviery?

For a good number of years I have been praying the postVatican II breviery. Is it licit to pray the preVatican II Breviery? I like the grander language of the older breviery.

I do believe that for a priest to do so in place of the current breviery would be illicit. However, anyone else is free to pray what ever prayers they choose.

I hope not! I pray the pre V-II Breviarum Romanum.

As a layperson, you are in no way bound to pray the LOTH. Heck even a priest can pray the old breviary provided he has permission from his bishop.

THe FSSP prays the old breviary and sells them I believe online. Both brevaries are valid. There is no such thing as a illicit breviary unless it is condemned somehow or that it errs in matters of faith and morals. So go ahead pray that old Breviary.

[quote=Iohannes]THe FSSP prays the old breviary and sells them I believe online. Both brevaries are valid. There is no such thing as a illicit breviary unless it is condemned somehow or that it errs in matters of faith and morals. So go ahead pray that old Breviary.
[/quote]

I would agree with everyone that for the lay faithful, any breviary is acceptable to use. For priests and religious, I would assume that they must have permission to use the books in effect at a time in the past. Such is the case with the FSSP, where they are permitted to celebrate all the Sacraments and use the Breviary in effect in 1962.

But this is just my opinion.

Whether priests must pray with the new breviary or not to fulfill their obligation, they are always free to pray with the old in addition to praying with the new. They don’t need permission to do this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.