Lies, Damned Lies

You are reaching for the gravy this Thanksgiving. Your family is gathered around the dinner table in a warm moment. Your freshman daughter is just home from her first semester in college, the one that is costing you $40,000 a year. And she chirps up, “Daddy, I don’t know why you’re against same-sex marriage. My sociology TA says that studies show there is absolutely no difference between children raised by gay couples and straight couples.” Only a few months ago she was the apple of your faithful Catholic eye. And now? Sociology has struck.

This, of course, could happen to your wife, too. “Honey, they said on MSNBC the other day that studies show that gayness is in the genes.” Who knows, maybe this has already happened to you? Your dear ones and possibly even you have succumbed to one of the great subterfuges of what can only be called homosexual propaganda: phony science.

First of all, note that these assertions are in the very air that we breathe. How do they know? Studies show. One of the great propaganda successes of the homosexual movement is to main-street phony science. I mean absolutely everybody already knows that kids do just as well with gays as well as with straights, right? And everyone knows that homosexuality is in the genes, too. It’s been on Oprah.

thecatholicthing.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2339&Itemid=2

They teach this in high schools too. We have some young ladies where I work at right out of high school and most believe that same sex marriage is ok.

However as I said before on these boards I think it’s ok for homosexuals to serve in the military but I’m not for same sex marriage.

I agree I just can’t stand these so-called experts it’s like on CAF people post stuff from Wikipedia and think it must true it’s on Wikipedia.

Yes, it is in the genes. But that doesn’t make it right. It is in the genes because sin is in the genes… and it is sin.

Having 3 wonderful children under 9, I now have a hideous reality to look forward to.

Logic and faith, taught early and taught well may help avert this. I hope.

Otherwise there is always manual strangulation.:smiley:

Perfect excuse for the following quotes by the “man of steel” himself, Joseph Stalin:

“Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.”

&

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?”

I apologize that I do not have the original Russian.

“On the question of the gay gene, know this: It does not exist.”

“There are lies, damned lies, and phony science, and the homosexual movement and its fellow travelers in the media are quite shameless in promoting them.”

The above are patently absurd statements. There are numerous valid scientific studies which undeniably demonstrate the role of the structure of the brain and biochemical reactions in sexual orientation. There are also numerous valid scientific studies which indicate that genetics plays a role in sexual orientation. To say definitively that there is no “gay gene” is as absurd as saying definitively that there is a “gay gene.”

Catholics understand this and are very compassionate about this.

The Catechism Of The Catholic Church:
Chastity and homosexuality
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.