Life After Death Before Resurrection?

truth-about-hell.com/page4.htm

Well I’ve stumbled onto a few Protestant sources over the years saying that we don’t go to Heaven until after the resurrection. In the past I ignored them but this time I read into one and it’s arguments seem very convincing. There doesn’t seem to be much leg room for life straight after death and it’s shaking my faith. I looked up some Catholic sources to answer this but all the reasons seemed very wooly and required a lot more fiddling with words and meanings than the Protestant ones. Does anyone know stuff that counters the claims that we only go to Heaven after the resurrection?

2 Corinthians, chapter 12:2 I know someone in Christ who, fourteen years ago (whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows), was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know that this person (whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows) 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard ineffable things, which no one may utter.

Luke 23:42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” 43 He replied to him, “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.

Matthew 17: 2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him.

Matthew 27: 51 And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked, rocks were split, 52 tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. 53 And coming forth from their tombs after his resurrection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

Revelation 14:1 Then I looked and there was the Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

Peace

Yes, one simple answer is against this specific claim from the site.

[quote=]When did Jesus say we would be with Him in heaven? Straight after death? No. Take a look at John 14:3:

[/quote]

Now let us see what Jesus said while on the cross.

[quote=]Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
He replied to him, “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”
[/quote]

(Luke 23:42-43)
It does not sound like we need to wait until the Resurrection of the Dead to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

These websites are run by the Seventh day Adventists. Be careful about anything that you read on them. They are very good at using scripture out of context to get the “appropriate” meaning to fit their doctrine.

Remember that Jesus Christ founded “a church” (the RCC) and it has been around proclaiming HIS truth for 2014 years!

:smiley:

“Soul sleep” is not a Catholic teaching. It is an oxymoron anyway: the soul cannot sleep, as sleeping is a body function; only bodies can sleep.

Also, sleeping requires collinear time to do it in, and collinear time is an effect of the physical matter in our human bodies. Our souls have no time and so, when our minds go black from lack of breath, we will “awaken” at once to our eternal life, and our everlasting bodies (pneumatikon soma).

ICXC NIKA.

Those aren’t Protestant, they aren’t even Christian, Soul Sleep is a dead givaway that they are Jehova’s Witnesses.They don’t even believe that Jesus is God!

The Seventh-Day Adventists and the Worldwide Church of God also hold to soul-sleep.

ICXC NIKA

“A perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory, and those who are still pilgrims on earth. Between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things.”
-Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraph 1475).

Thank you brother GEddie, SDA are authentic Christians with orthodox beliefs in The Trinity and the Divinity of Jesus,
WWCOG do not believe in the Trinity Here’s a statement of theirs “The doctrine of the Trinity is false .’” Mystery of the Ages, p. 37 ( rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/armstrong.htm).

The site in the OP link was very much in line with JW teachings, but doesn’t claim to be JW.

Christus vicit.

If you go to the “About us” page they clearly state that they are Seventh day Adventist.

Ah, missed that. Thanks for the correction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.