Life After Death

All the prophets of God called their people to worship God and to believe in life after death. They laid so much emphasis on the belief in life after death that even a slight doubt in it meant denying God and made all other beliefs meaningless. The very fact that all the prophets of God have dealt with this metaphysical question so confidently and uniformly - the gap between their ages being thousands of years - goes to prove that the source of their knowledge of life after death, as proclaimed by them all, was the same, that is, Divine revelation.

We also know that these prophets of God were greatly opposed by their people, mainly on the issue of life after death, as their people thought it impossible. But in spite of that opposition, the prophets won many sincere followers. The question arises, what made those followers forsake the established beliefs, traditions and customs of their forefathers, regardless of the risk of being totally alienated from their own community?

I think the simple answer is that they made use of their faculties of mind and heart and realized the truth.

What is your purpose in life? What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life? These questions frequently intrigue people who try to find accurate answers.

The purpose of this life is to be righteous toward God and toward others…

And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. (Issaih 32:17)

For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matt 5:20)

whereas those who attain to faith and do righteous deeds -they are destined for paradise, therein to abide. (Quran 2:82)

Levitcus 19
2 Speak to the whole Israelite community and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy.

Matthew 5
48 So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

1 Peter 1
13 Therefore, gird up the loins of your mind, live soberly, and set your hopes completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
14 Like obedient children, do not act in compliance with the desires of your former ignorance
15 but, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in every aspect of your conduct,
16 for it is written, “Be holy because I (am) holy.”

Because we humans are limited in our knowledge.

(John 3:12):
“I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?”

I think we need to be spirits to understand everything…
(Matthew 22:30):
“At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

The following is an excerpt from a webpage:

Why did God create humankind?

[FONT=“Times New Roman”]"{Remember] when your Lord extracted from the loins of Adam’s children and their descendents and made them testify [saying] : ‘Am I not your Lord?’ They said: ‘Yes, we testify to it.’ [This was] in case you say on the Day of Judgment: ‘We were unaware of this.’ Or you say: ‘It was our ancestors who worshiped others besides God and we are only their descendants. Will you then destroy us for what those liars did?’ " The Holy Qur’an, Chapter 7, Verses 172-3

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) explained that when Allah created Adam, He took from him a covenant at a place called Na’maan on the 9th day of the 12th month. He then extracted from Adam all of his descendants who would be born until the end of the world, generation after generation, and spread them out before Him to take a covenant from them also. He spoke to them, face to face, making them bear witness that He was their Lord.

Consequently, every human being is responsible for belief in God, which is imprinted on each and every soul. It is based on this inborn belief that Allah defined the purpose of humankind’s creation:

“I have created the jinn and humankind only for My worship” The Holy Qur’an, Chapter 51, Verse 56

Thus, the essential purpose for which humankind was created is the worship of God and the term ‘worship’ here means not just to perform acts like prayer and fasting, but rather it means to consciously do all the things that pleases God like being kind to and helping others in need, taking care of other creations like trees and animals… and also to leave the things that He has forbidden.

However, the Almighty is not in need of human worship. He did not create human beings out of a need on His part. If not a single human worshiped God, it would not diminish His glory in any way, and if all humankind worshiped Him, it would not increase His glory in any way.

God is perfect. He alone exists without any needs. All created beings have needs. Consequently, it is humankind that needs to worship God.

The question concerning the purpose of humankind’s creation may be expanded to include the world in which they live. The question would then be, “Why did God create human beings in this world?” Again, the answer to this question can easily be found in the final revelation, Chapters al-Mulk and al-Kahf:

“[It is He] who created death and life to test which of you is best in conduct; and He is the Mighty, the Forgiving” The Holy Qur’an, Chapter 67, Verse 2

“Surely I have created all that is on earth as its ornaments that I may test which of them is best in conduct.” *The Holy Qur’an, Chapter 18, Verse 7
Thus, the purpose for the creation of human beings in this world is to test their conduct. This world of life and death, wealth and poverty, sickness and health, was created to sift out the righteous souls from the evil souls. The tests serve to confirm on the Day of Judgment that those going to hell deserve it and those going to paradise only got there by God’s grace.[/FONT]

(Genesis 1:26):
"*Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”"

(Revelation 4:11):
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power*, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”"

These Biblical verses that you have quoted still does not answer the question --> Why did God create humankind?

And also --> For what reason would God want to create man “in His image”??

I mean, of all the greatest inventions in the history of humankind, which one of these inventions was made “in man’s image”?

Islam saves Muslims from the trouble of asking the question, because Islam makes it clear, from the very beginning, that the permanent purpose of the Muslim in this life is to obey Allah in order to go to Paradise in the second life.

Disbelievers have purposes in their lives such as collecting money and property, indulging in sex, eating, and dancing. But all these purposes are transient and passing ones. All these purposes come and go, go up and down. Money comes and goes. Health comes and goes. Sexual activities cannot continue forever. All these lusts for money, food and sex cannot answer the individual’s questions: so what? Then What?

We should know that the only way for our salvation in this life and in the hereafter is to know our Lord who created us, believe in Him, and worship Him alone.

Money, food, and sex are evil, but your questions are pure and good? The obsession for finding answers to questions which cannot be answered with certainty, does not lead to a mental state which is calm and tranquil, and there is no happiness in finding all that exists in this world to be repulsive.

I personally believe that when we die, we are dead.
Kinda like being unconscious but permanently and no dreams or anything. Just all black.
Sounds scary, but that’s the most logical way to me. I can’t force myself into believing in heaven.

(Revelation 4:11):*
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power*, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”"

We are created for God.

And also --> For what reason would God want to create man "in His image"??

Then in what image you want Him to create you!!!, He created you with the best image out there (His image).

I mean, of all the greatest inventions in the history of humankind, which one of these inventions was made “in man’s image”?

irrelevant!, you can’t compare the creation of living creatures to machines.

Not only the disbelievers but Muslims also ;):

(Quran 03:14):
[RIGHT]زُيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ حُبُّ الشَّهَوَاتِ مِنَ النِّسَاءِ وَالْبَنِينَ وَالْقَنَاطِيرِ الْمُقَنْطَرَةِ مِنَ الذَّهَبِ وَالْفِضَّةِ وَالْخَيْلِ الْمُسَوَّمَةِ وَالأَنْعَامِ وَالْحَرْثِ ذَلِكَ مَتَاعُ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَاللَّهُ عِنْدَهُ حُسْنُ الْمَآبِ
[/RIGHT]

*YUSUFALI: Fair in the eyes of men is the love of things they covet: Women and sons; Heaped-up hoards of gold and silver; horses branded (for blood and excellence); and (wealth of) cattle and well-tilled land. Such are the possessions of this world’s life; but in nearness to Allah is the best of the goals (To return to).
PICKTHAL: Beautified for mankind is love of the joys (that come) from women and offspring; and stored-up heaps of gold and silver, and horses branded (with their mark), and cattle and land. That is comfort of the life of the world. Allah! With Him is a more excellent abode.
SHAKIR: The love of desires, of women and sons and hoarded treasures of gold and silver and well bred horses and cattle and tilth, is made to seem fair to men; this is the provision of the life of this world; and Allah is He with Whom is the good goal (of life). *

The Islamic system of belief is a set of principles pertaining to the Creator, to prophecy, and to the unseen, which includes such matters as the existence of angels, the Resurrection, and the Last Day. It deals with anything that the Messengers have informed about on the basis of revelation – the teachings that they commanded to believe in with certainty while knowing that everything to the contrary is false.

==============================
This is from Internet

The question, why did Allah create us, for some people, and we have to deal with those people around us, who don’t consider there to be any purpose in man’s creation because he is just a product of evolution that the forces of nature have produced him, and just as we don’t have apes, dogs or cows thinking about why they are here, then we don’t really have to think about it either. Of course that being the basis of the philosophy of western society, that man is without purpose, then the whole issue of government, morality etc has no basis in Revelation, there is no guidance there. The product of this is of course the corruption that we are living in.

For a Muslim, when we go in to this topic, we have to find our understanding in divine revelation and not human speculation. Because human speculation has no bounds, we can imagine all kinds of things, and is any of you have studied philosophy of religion, you can see how many opinions exist about the creation of man and existence. Because of the variety of philosophies, which are out there, no one can say this one is correct or that one is incorrect, because there is no guidance behind it. No divine revelation. It is only from divine revelation that we can determine the reality of our creation, because it is Allah who has created us and he knows the purpose of our creation. We can hardly understand ourselves, much less try to understand the essence of things. So it is for Allah to inform us through the revelation in the Qur’an and the Sunnah which was brought by his last messenger (saaw) and the messengers before. Now if we are to look, initially into revelation, to determine why was man created, there is a deeper question that we should be asking before that. “Why did god create?” Before we even get to man, why did god create, because man is not the greatest act of creation that we should be so focused on why man. No, because Allah says:
“The creation of the Heavens and the Earth is indeed greater then the creation of mankind; yet, most of mankind know not.” (Surah Ghafir, verse 57)
Man is not the greatest act of creation, this universe is far more complex and far more magnificent then man. So the issue of creation should then go to why create? As opposed to simply why create man?
Fundamentally, we can say that the creation is the natural consequence of the attribute of creator. Allah is the creator. That is one of his attributes. That is what he has informed us. That being his attribute, the creator, the natural consequence or the product of this attribute is his creation.
A painter, if we are to draw a similitude on a lower level, who tells you that he is a painter, if you ask him where are his paintings and he replies I don’t have any. What kind of painter is this? The concept of a painter who doesn’t paint, there is some thing not quite gelling together here, of course Allah is beyond this. But if we are to understand on the simplest level, the two go together. The perfection of a painter lies in his paintings. His quality and his ability to paint, is manifest in his paintings. And Allah, beyond all that, as creator, this quality of creation is manifest in the creation itself. Allah didn’t create out of a need. No, the fact that he is the creator, is manifest in the creation.
Furthermore, consider the act of creation, this act, with regards to Allah is unique. Though we use the term i.e. So and so created a table etc, actually it is in a limited sense. Human beings don’t really create, they manipulate, because they can only “create” what already exists. When we make a chair or a table, we didn’t create the wood, we had to take it from a tree, we didn’t create the metal, which makes the screws etc, we had to melt down rocks and take the metal out. So we are not creating from nothing. We are manipulating things which Allah has already created in to different shapes and forms which are useful to us. We call it “creation” but the real act of creation, is creation from nothing, and this is unique to Allah alone.

My father had been quite cruel to me, and to the whole family in fact. The night he died he appeared in my room, starting near the door. He advanced to the foot of the bed. By this time I was wide awake I can tell you. I asked him how the hell he got there. He simply began with an apology for his prolonged cruelty, we argued and conversed, and at the very end he gave this terrifying scream and disappeared.

He made predictions which could only have come from being able to see into the future eg. “You’ll meet a pastor. You’ll think he’s great, but all he’ll do is discourage you even more!” Now at the time he said that I was an atheist, and not even interested in Christianity. Nevertheless four years later I became a Christian and about nine years after that I was in the pastor’s office when he said, “I owe you an apology. You needed encouragement and all I’ve done is to discourage you even more!” You’ll note the similarity between my “dead” father’s words and his.

You’re wrong. There’s an after life. But there’s also a judgment. My father’s dead body was several kilometres away, unknown to me, and it wasn’t found for four days. He found, probably to his surprise, that his spirit was still alive. But he also found, to his very unpleasant surprise, that he’d been seen. And the time had come to pay the piper.

Christ’s resurrection isn’t a fable.

funny you say that because the verses you have quoted have actually rejected your claim. :yeah_me: You can especially tell with pickthal’s translation-describing worldly things and then saying “Allah! With him is a more excellent abode”.
Another thing is that whether you like to admit it or not-christians are much more connected to worldly things than muslims by a long way.

wasalam

The Arabic verse is clear, it means all humans (disbelievers and Muslims).

yeah but it is saying that turning to Allah is better than wordly pleasures

wasalam

Zaki is right. I had noticed that too. The Quran makes it clear that even though there are worldly things appealing to mankind but real goodness is with Allah, that is the Love of Allah.
See another translation of verse 03:14 below:

[3:14] زُيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ حُبُّ الشَّهَوٰتِ مِنَ النِّسَآءِ وَالْبَنِيْنَ وَالْقَنَاطِيْرِ الْمُقَنْطَرَةِ مِنَ الذَّهَبِ وَالْفِضَّةِ وَالْخَـيْلِ الْمُسَوَّمَةِ وَالْاَنْعَامِ وَالْحَـرْثِ‌ؕ ذٰلِكَ مَتَاعُ الْحَيٰوةِ الدُّنْيَا‌ۚ وَاللّٰهُ عِنْدَهٗ حُسْنُ الْمَاٰبِ‏

[3:14] Beautified for men is the love of desired things — women and children, and stored-up heaps of gold and silver, and pastured horses and cattle and crops. That is the provision of the present life; but it is Allah with Whom is an excellent home. **

Also because the matters of the next world are being discussed here, I am giving the name of a book in English which discusses some aspects of the life of next world i.e. life after death. It is written in the light of Quran. The book title is “The Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam.”. I do not know if it is available on the net. But I will soon try to find out.

Editted:
I googled it and found that the book is in pdf format on the net.

I think you need more clarification:

The explanation that the Quran gives about the necessity of life after death is what moral consciousness of man demands.

The miserable state at the time of death, and the horror of the Day of Judgment, and the eternal bliss guaranteed to the sincere believers are very beautifully mentioned in the following verses of the Holy Quran:

Quran
23. The Believers:

23/99. (In Falsehood will they be) Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: "O my Lord! send me back (to life),-
100. “In order that I may work righteousness in the things I neglected.” - “By no means! It is but a word he says.”- Before them is a Partition till the Day they are raised up.
101. Then when the Trumpet is blown, there will be no more relationships between them that Day, nor will one ask after another!
102. Then those whose balance (of good deeds) is heavy,- they will attain salvation:
103. But those whose balance is light, will be those who have lost their souls, in Hell will they abide.
104. The Fire will burn their faces, and they will therein grin, with their lips displaced.
105. "Were not My Signs rehearsed to you, and ye did but treat them as falsehood?"
106. They will say: "our Lord! Our misfortune overwhelmed us, and we became a people astray!
107. "Our Lord! bring us out of this: if ever we return (to Evil), then shall we be wrong-doers indeed!"
108. He will say: "Be ye driven into it (with ignominy)! And speak ye not to Me!
109. "A part of My servants there was, who used to pray 'our Lord! we believe; then do Thou forgive us, and have mercy upon us: For Thou art the Best of those who show mercy!"
110. "But ye treated them with ridicule, so much so that (ridicule of) them made you forget My Message while ye were laughing at them!
111. "I have rewarded them this Day for their patience and constancy: they are indeed the ones that have achieved Bliss…"
112. He will say: "What number of years did ye stay on earth?"
113. They will say: "We stayed a day or part of a day: but ask those who keep account."
114. He will say: "Ye stayed not but a little,- if ye had only known!
115. "Did ye then think that We had created you in jest, and that ye would not be brought back to Us (for account)?"
116. Therefore exalted be Allah, the King, the Reality: there is no god but He, the Lord of the Throne of Honour!
117. If anyone invokes, besides Allah, Any other god, he has no authority therefor; and his reckoning will be only with his Lord! and verily the Unbelievers will fail to win through!
118. So say: “O my Lord! grant Thou forgiveness and mercy for Thou art the Best of those who show mercy!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.