Life After Death

Hello fellows,

My father past away last march 23… He suffered for some sickness. 7 years of battling for his life. At first thought, i am always saying that life is so unfair. Because my Dad is a very good man. he don’t smoke, drink beer or liquor, no vise, and a very loving person in general. He took very good care of us. but why he suffered so much for that 7 years? It seems like he is being punished for a very big sin. That’s why i am questioning it. Now i remember, during his early years, his work is a painter at a softdinks company. So obviously, everyday, he drinks a lot of soda for about 40 years i think. So i am considering it that it is the sin that he made for his life. he didn’t took care of his health because of the nature of his job… But thinking of it, is that enough sin for the suffering he experienced for his last 7 years here on earth? But now, i’m holding the answer that, “God only knows everything”. Its very painful for me when he past away. until now, i missed him so much. I want to see him in dreams. i want to talk to him. I want to say sorry for the disappointments i made. But I am glad that we lived together for 38 years. I love my Daddy so much. Please help me to accept the reality and be happy with him for he is now with God in Heaven. I also want to be lectured about life after death. I am being paranoid by the writings in the internet that after death, there’s no more. I don’t want to believe that. I still holding on the belief that after our lives here on earth, there’s is a place for our soul with God. and that is the Heaven.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have
faith in God; have faith also in me.
John 14:1

Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in
heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive
us our trespasses; as we forgive those who trespass
against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver
us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed
art thou amongst women, and Blessed is the Fruit of
thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for
us sinners, now and at the hour of our deaths.
Amen

Glory be to the Father and
to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be
World without end.
Amen

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.
St. Joseph our protector, pray for us.
Amen

St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against
the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we
humbly pray, and do thou O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the
Power of God, cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl
throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

Praying for the repose of the soul of your Dad. Also praying for comfort and strength for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Preventive medicine is a really complex field. Often is not enough to just avoid blatantly harmful behiavours like drinking and smoking. Often there are genetical predisposition to develop one kind of illness or another.
I lost my aunt, that was quite young ( 49 ), despite she lead a quite healty life. Breast cancer. These are DNA problems, nothing to do with sin. Do not obsess about guilt, illness strikes when they want to strike.

Praying for the repose of your Father’s soul.

I’m so sorry that you lost your dad at a relatively early age. I was 34 when my own father died and I wish he’d been with us for a little longer.

I’d agree with Conradine, we are all governed by our genetic make-up as well as our lifestyle choices. So try not to focus on your father’s passing but instead, remember the happy years you had with him - it takes a while, but in time you will be able to think about him and smile. Praying that God will comfort you and give you peace.

Praying for the repose of your dad’s soul and for comfort for you and your family during this time.

Illness happens. Some of the greatest Saints suffered tremendous illness for many, many years. God grants his grace to endure the sufferings that are a part of this life.

:hug3:

May God bless you!

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

catholictreasury.info/books/eternal_wisdom/ew14.php

I share your concerns about life after death. I will offer my Divine Mercy prayer today for your dad and your family. I will give you some things that help me deal with my fears. I apologize for the length of this post, but I definitely feel the Holy Spirit pushing me to say all these things.

First of all, here’s a prayer that helps me with doubts in general.

My Jesus, I truly believe You are the Son of God, and the Savior of the world.
Sometimes doubts assail me, making me confused and frightened.
I know that this is because we still walk in the shadows of faith while on earth, relying on the testimony of those who have seen and believed.
But I am still affected to some extent, and somewhat shaken by such doubts.
Please help me to realize that our doubts are the price which we have to pay for the fulfillment of the universe in Christ, and the very condition of that fulfillment.
We must be prepared to press on along a road that makes us more certain, toward horizons that are evermore shrouded in mists.
All the while we bring forth fruits worthy of our new lives, such as charity, joy, and service to others.
In so doing we become for others living signs of Christ’s Resurrection, which the Holy Spirit sets in motion in the Church.

Here are some more prayers on that page: web.archive.org/web/20150316201030/http://www.2heartsnetwork.org/doubt.htm

Don’t think that God took him as a form of punishment. I think the devil would want you to think that God works that way.

Your father sounded like a good man, anyway. More importantly than him being a good person, remember that Jesus knows His own sheep, and His own know Him, and they hear and recognize His voice. If your father loves Jesus, and did God’s will, which it sounds like he did, Jesus will definitely save him. Also remember that even the worst person in the world is still loved by Jesus, and Jesus could definitely appear to anyone in their last moments of life and offer them the chance of salvation. if there’s hope for these folks, there’s definitely hope for your dad. “To the penitent God provides a way back,
He encourages those who are losing hope.” (Sirach 17:24)

Finally, I know this sounds clichéd, and you’ve probably heard it 1 million times, but it’s true. Everything works together as part of God’s will. Remember what Jesus told the disciples when they asked him what a blind man did wrong to become blind, “Neither he nor his parents sinned; it is so that the works of God might be made visible through him."
God’s love can even be made visible through death. Let me leave you with a true story that happened to me.

My grandfather died about a year and half ago. Dementia had robbed him of the ability to speak and do most things, and obviously we didn’t know if he could even understand us. When he was dying, my grandmother asked him to send a sign when he made it to Heaven. They had a broken grandfather clock that hadn’t worked at all in years. A few minutes after he died, the clock set itself, and started to ring for a few minutes. It stopped ringing and hasn’t worked ever since.

Ave Maria, Gratia plena
Dominus tecum,
Benedicta to in mulieribus,
Et benedictus, fructus, ventris tui Jesus

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,
Ora pro nobis, pecatoribus nunc,
Et in hora mortis nostrae.

Amen

Oh My Jesus, Forgive us our sins,
Save us from the fires Hell,
And lead all souls to Heaven,
Especially those in most need of they mercy,
Amen

We turn to our Saints in Heaven for intercessory prayer. For all of us, but especially for the intentions of the petitioner in this thread, stpntxn, as we join our prayers with the petitioner’s intention, the repose of the soul of his father with our Blessed Lord.

St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us, and protect us in battle,
St. John of the Cross, pray for us
St Augustine and St. Monica, pray for us
Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us
St. Joseph, Husband of Mary, pray for us
Archbishop Fulton Sheen, Pray for us.
St. John Paul II pray for us
St. John XXIII pray for us
St. Jude, pray for us
St. Mary Magdalene, pray for us
St. Paul of Tarsus, pray for us

Your intention will be prayed for also during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass this Sunday at St. John Neumann Parish in North Las Vegas, NV, USA, and in front of the Blessed Sacrament in adoration.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Thank you for your prayers. This is not the first time that i questioned the happenings in our life. and i know it is a sin. i’m sorry for that. Lord please forgive me for questioning you. I just can’t handle the situation at times. please forgive me. Yes my father is a believer and up to the last years, months, weeks, hours, i often see him like he is praying during his bedtimes. whenever i see him that way, i will call him “Dy” (short for daddy and he will not response or look at me. that means he didn’t want to be disturb because he is praying. I just can’t handle the situation whenever i will remember his suffering from illness. But i know that everything happened for a reason. I love my father so much. it is so very painful up to now but i know i have to move on. Please give me strength oh Lord. Thank you for your prayers and sharing fellows.

Thank you for sharing your story. I also want to believe that there is life after death. I know there is. I am just being paranoid by the article in the internet by some, saying that after death, there is no more. I know there is life after death. specially when i read your story about your grandfather. thank you so much.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Amen.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.