Life and Faith in Hell's Kitchen (the work of prolife nuns in New York)

In New York City, 41% of pregnancies end in abortion. That is the field of action of a prolife New York order of nuns, whose fourth vow is “to protect and enhance the sacredness of human life.”
See globenews24.com/EN/news,william-mcgowan-life-and-faith-in-hell-s-kitchen

That is a good story. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! I met two of those sisters. I was totally, totally impressed with them. I was then surprised to see their order featured in the K of C magazine. One of them I had previously met was pictured in the article.

Possibly one of the most amazing things about them is how cheerful they are, and how down-to-earth. Both of the ones I met, I understood, are good skiers and mountain climbers. One is also an accomplished violinist. Both are good shots with rifle or shotgun.

Their humility is remarkable, but also quite impressive. Not at all shy, but upon my remarking that I couldn’t be like them because I am not a particularly good person by nature, one of them said something like this:

“Oh, but you see, we’re the least good of all, by nature. To keep us on the right track, we need our hours of prayer, our structure and our service to others.”

What engaging wisdom!

My former roommate from college is a Sister of Life. It is amazing to see the wonderful work they do.

And they do have pretty strict hours of prayer, work, and life.

I just have to ask. Any chance she was from Maine? I’m not trying to pry into your life and won’t inquire further, but there aren’t all that many of them, and I’m just wondering if I might have met your former roommate.

Imagine for a moment what it would be like if there were 100 times as many of this particular order as there are, AND if the bishops and pastors would push us “pew dwellers” into providing very substantial support for them.

No, :stuck_out_tongue: She was originally from CO, and went to college in MN. She hasn’t yet made her perpetual vows. That would have been cool though, small world.

Yes, it would have been. But your friend must surely be quite a person. I probably should just quit praising that particular order, but I truly was impressed with them and with their work. I truly was.

You know, it makes a person have a certain amount of optimism about the future of the Church in the U.S. to see a new order like that. Most of the sisters in that order are very young as sisters go, pretty doggone talented, and are into direct, “hands on” charitable works and real personal relationships with the people they help. And they’re not the only ones. There are some other new orders that don’t seem to have a whole lot of trouble attracting new applicants, that are traditional in their prayer and community lives (and habits) and in providing direct service and shining examples of fidelity.

It’s no secret that a lot of the older orders are dying out and some have gone so secular that one wonders why they even bother to call themselves sisters anymore.

Indeed, it is a great order, young, growing, and very traditional. My friend is young, 25, and took a new name on taking her first vows. In college she would say the LOTHs every day with the Benedictine sisters, even with their revised LOTH (3 week cycle instead of 4) and was an officer of the Pro life group on campus. She was a theology major, and was going to be a teacher, but instead dropped the teaching part so she could graduate and join the order. Her parents were wonderful and paid off her school debts for her to do so, even though they were pretty hesitant about the whole religious thing to begin with. I haven’t had much contact since she entered, but I get a letter every once in a while. So in return I try to send her a letter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.