Life and the prospects of heaven

Sometimes I despair over life and the prospects of heaven. I know that we have to trust God, but I’m afraid that no matter how hard I try there will be some unconfessed/unrealized sin that will send me to hell. Anyone else feel like this? I’m a weak person, I sin a lot, and sometimes it just seems like heaven will be really hard to get too. I worry about my end of the deal. The Bible says that very few are gonna make it. It’s too easy to despair.

Also, I’m thinking of making my first confession tomorrow. I haven’t actually joined the Church yet and wouldn’t dream of taking the other sacraments(like Communion), but I figure Confession would be good. What are people’s thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

I’m sorry that no one seems to have answered your question.

Yes, I for one am very worried about going to hell, and I’m not a bank robber, a fornicator, a murder nor a loan shark. I’m just an average fellow. Hell is one of the cornerstone’s of Christianity. Christians say that it’s not…and it’s not supposed to be. But if people are really honest with themselves, they are often religiously motivated as much as fear of going to hell as by love for God.

I don’t really have any advice to offer you. Just do your best to live a morally responsbile life and try to not feel guilty or worry. That’s easier said than done. But we cannot worry ourselves into Heaven. I believe that God is more merciful with us than we are with each other.

I recommend finding a church that is authentic catholic. I mean, one that has periodic eucharistic adoration, multiple times posted for sacrament of penance, etc.

Some churches are quite liberal and almost not catholic at all. These churches normally are hard to identify as catholic when you enter the church building. You might find a crucifix. Some have a modern cross with no corpus. You might find the tabernacle with a candle burning if you look real hard. You might find holy water fonts near the doors, and maybe not.

Check the bulletin online. A liberal church has a lot of non-essential activities and programs.

Here is the point, when you find a good parish, join the RCIA program there and learn about the catholic church. Get enrolled to join the church the following Easter. You can join a great group of people. Better yet, you will be with the best people on earth for eternity in heaven!

On despair, don’t let this bother you. This is a tactic of the evil one to get people to give up or look for relieve elsewhere such as psychics, drugs, alcohol, etc. Shake it off and get with some great people. The real faith is the antidote to this tactic.

Regarding unconfessed sins, if you are trying to grow in holiness, God will know it. If you have a minor sin upon your death, you may spend a short time in purgatory. No big deal. You will be in heaven for eternity afterward. God understands us even better than we do ourselves.

Screen chruches in your area by zip code on this website - www.masstimes.org

All of us have one particular sin(maybe more) that is so important to us that we feel we would be giving up our lives if we quit doing it.As painful as this appears to us we really are better off in this life and will reap eternal rewards.Actually I am of the mind that its just one sin that keeps us out of Heaven.Each of us have to make a decision to put God above any sin which keeps us separated from Him.There are many.i believe the most common have to do with greed or sexuality.Sins of those natures seem to be what we most desire.To separate ourselves from our sinful natures is not easy and takes a lifetime for most of us.but sin is awful even if we don’t realize it and the joy that comes from being no longer a slave to sin is a powerful awesome feeling.Only each of us knows what that freedom feels like to him.

Hey, do not despair, sweetheart.

God’s mercy is infinite. His love is also infinite. He loves you. Like a father loves a son.
Imagine if you have a son, and he has done really bad things, would you forgive him and receive him home?

Yep.
Please say this prayer: Jesus, King of Mercy, have mercy on me a sinner., 100 times according to the rhythm of your breathing.

it will give you peace.

It is a very good step to go to confession before receiving holy communion, because in communion we receive our Lord Himself, thus we may be clean.

Do not worry about not confessing sin thoroughly,
I confess weekly, and sometimes I forgot too. you know. and I said, oh well, next week I will confess this sin that I forget.

God is merciful. He is your Father. He is the best of Fathers.
Trust in His Mercy, Goodness, and Love.

Let me say a prayer for you:
Jesus, Grant your son a boundless trust in your Mercy, Goodness, and Love. Grant Him salvation, Grant him the Grace of conversion, so that he will not go to Hell. Save Him, for he perish. Protect him from sin of distrust, and grant him boundless trust. Because there is nothing more displeasing to you than sin of distrust. Even if I have the sins of the whole world and the damned combined, if I turn to your merciful love, begs forgiveness, you will forgive me. I love you. And please make others love you too.
Amen

everycatholicblog.blogspot.com

May the merciful Jesus grant you his mercy, pardon, and faith.

Ask Jesus for the virtue of faith, hope, and love. Learn about the catholic church on the above website. Pray without ceasing. Pray the rosary. Mother Mary will help you.

Read : Divine Mercy in My soul - St Faustina Kowalska
saintsworks.net/books/St.%20Faustina%20Kowalska%20-%20Diary.pdf

It is very simple. She didn’t go to school, only 3rd graders. So it should be understandable by everyone. I had the same fears as you, but after reading this, it change my life. I now know the infinite love and mercy God has for me.

I pray for you

She will comfort your suffering soul and increase your faith in God’s Love and Mercy

youtube.com/results?search_query=mother+angelica&aq=f

Actually, when I made a general confession ( of my whole life), I came with 10.000 sins, repeatedly. I’m not kidding. The pastor listened for around 30 minutes of my confession

it is actually 5 front and back A4 pages.

I was really embarrased.

But the next time, I do not do that again. When I make confession, I just roll over the 10 commandments, the 7 deadly sins, and the two great commandments.

So, next time you go to confession, just say that.

Father, I have sinned.
I haven’t love God with all my heart, soul, and mind
I haven’t love my neighbor as myself

I have sins of pride, avarice, lust, gluttony,sloth, anger, envy

then, proceed with the ten commandments

1. I am the LORD your God:
    you shall not have
    strange Gods before me.
  2. You shall not take
    the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  3. Remember to keep holy the LORD’S Day.
  4. Honor your father and your mother.
  5. You shall not kill.
  6. You shall not commit adultery.
  7. You shall not steal.
  8. You shall not bear false witness
    against your neighbor.
  9. You shall not covet
    your neighbor’s wife.
  10. You shall not covet
    your neighbor’s goods

It saves a LOT of time:) and nothing is missing.
Actually, by the two great commandments themselve (love of God, and love of neighbor) you already covers all. So, practically, you haven’t missed anything.

That is my method of weekly confession.
May the merciful Jesus bless you, and take away all your fears, and change it into faith, hope, and love. Jesus loves you.

Say the divine mercy chaplet:
ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

It will gives you trust

I love you. God loves you more

Thanks everyone!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.