Life going nowhere

Lucia of Fatima said she felt a interior necessity over certain things. Might God be not allowing me to accomplish things like this? I know this question sounds ridiculously. But I want to accomplish things but I just can’t seem to do it.

I don’t understand your question.

However, do you have someone you can talk with about your goals and how you are going about accomplishing them. Sometimes we need another person to give us a new path to follow to reach our goal.

May God lead you in all your endeavors.

Thank you. I have talked to people about my goals for years. This includes therapists and a wife. I just don’t end up doing anything. Even the things I did do, I get many interviews and many rejections. It’s painful.

To restate my question: Might God be holding me back from accomplishing my goals for whatever reason? Maybe it’s not His will? Maybe it’s not time?

I am in my early 50s. I’m not getting any younger.

Is there another way to journey towards your goals?

Is there a way towards your goal that does not require being selected - a way where the “middle man” who did not select you (or your term “reject”) you is not involved?

Sometimes we feel called in one direction. We begin that path and see it leads to another path - to another goal. The whole journey is necessary for us to actually see where we need to be “today”, which may be different “tomorrow.”

Keep in mind when you are not chosen for something you interviewed for, it is not a rejection of you. It means you were not chosen - not that you were rejected. There can be many reasons you were not chosen - all the while - without you actually being rejected.

Have you discussed with your therapist that you feel pain (your emotion) when you are not selected after an interview and that you think not being selected means you were rejected (your thought)?

God can give us new ways of seeing things - ways that do not bring negative feelings and thoughts. Have you worked with your therapist to accept you were not chosen after the interview without feeling the pain of thinking you were rejected?

May God give you peace as you travel this journey towards you goals.

I’d say God loves you and therefore wants you to flourish. So the answer is no. You need to pray for the strength and determination to achieve your goals, and then “just do it” (to quote Nike). :wink:

I’d try to find a reason why you’re being rejected in interviews (as far as dates go, that may not be so easy). When I’m on a job hunt at the end of an interview I say something like:

“I am a professional technologist. I have no problem if you think my soft skills or technical acumen is not what you’re looking for. If you don’t mind, would you share a few things with me? Are my technical skills what you’re looking for? Does my personality seem to be a good fit for your company culture?”

You’d be very surprised when you set people at ease, how they will be very honest and almost every tme do it professionally without being insulting. If you can take a little criticism, this method will help you finetune yourself. However, you may find they actually like you and want to hire you. I wish you the very best. I will pray for you.

The peace of Christ be with you.

Thank you all for your great replies.

Yes, cutting out the middle man is a great idea. But I still don’t do what I need to do. I procrastinate and procrastinate… Besides, how can I make money for my family in the arts? Either so, I would love to do these things on the side. But I don’t.

I understand what you mean by I am just not chosen and that I shouldn’t take it as rejection. But it is rejection. Several times I have been called in for the same job… time and time again. Each time I did not get the job. I suppose it’s my age or the scowl on my face, or BOTH.

I suppose some sort of therapy is in order for me YET AGAIN. :frowning:

Sometimes I wonder if life is just one big spiteful game.

It sounds like you have several variables and making adjustments at the different points can be helpful.

Discovering why you procrastinate is one issue.

Developing a way to push past your procrastination habit is another. This habit of procrastination may be your biggest “stopping point”, but it does not have to be. You can learn to change this habit.

Finding a way to make money in the arts is yet another issue. Finding a way to enjoy your work in the arts - while depending on another way to earn a living is another path to explore.

I understand what you mean by I am just not chosen and that I shouldn’t take it as rejection. But it is rejection. Several times I have been called in for the same job… time and time again. Each time I did not get the job. I suppose it’s my age or the scowl on my face, or BOTH.

No, it is not rejection. As long as you believe it is “rejection”, you can’t see that it is not rejection - not a rejection of you.

“Supposing” it is your age or the scowl on your face… or both… is you “mind reading” negative things you might be feeling about yourself and placing them “in the mind” of the person who interviewed you. They may not have even seen the “scowl on your face.” They may have no concerns with your age.

I suppose some sort of therapy is in order for me YET AGAIN. :frowning:

Accepting help from someone else in the form of therapy is not a negative aspect. Realizing someone can help you and seeking their assistance is very positive. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I wonder if life is just one big spiteful game.

Life isn’t about spite. Things come and go. We accept each day and if we find a “road block” and still have a desire, we look past the “road block” and march onward.

May God lead you to someone who helps you develop this great desire of working in the arts to be a reality. May you find God’s peace while you enjoy your in-born desire for the arts.

Yesterday I got ANOTHER REJECTION email for a part time job at a Catholic School. :frowning: The, the moment I read this rejection email I get a phone call from recruiter who said their client were NOT interested in interviewing me after looking over my resume. :eek:

I’m sorry that you did not get these two jobs. Know that you received similar letters that many other people received this week. I write that to point out, many people are looking for jobs and not everyone got a job offer this week.

Do you have someone who you can talk with about this great disappointment from yesterday?

I pray that God will lead you to the job that helps you fulfill your dream of working in the arts.

I’ve felt like that, too, sometimes. I do think that sometimes God is asking us to wait before starting something new.

I have always hated job interviews and looking for work, and I totally sympathize with you regarding your feelings of rejection. My fervent hope is that I’ll be able to retire out of my current position, and never have to deal with a hiring manager again as long as I live, unless I’m on the other side of the desk, and I am keeping you in my prayers.

You can only be who you are, and if they don’t want you, then in the clear light of day you probably don’t want them, either.

The hardest part is trusting God when it seems like He’s forgotten all about you.

Perhaps you should take some time to rest, meditate, be around people who like you, and see if the path become a little clearer, to discern what you need to do next.

**Last night I had a dream. In that dream the woman saw me getting frustrated trying to type on a iPad. she laughed and said “you’re either to the right (hot) left (cold), but never in the center.”

Wow, maybe that’s my problem in life. I am not centered!**

I think you are right. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.