Life in the Spirit

These quotes are from the page fortysomething of the Sola Scriptura thread. Rather than pursue it there I thought a new thread was in order.

My CRHP group has been spending a lot of time on life in the spirit, and how it is that one gets to that transcendent level of faith that is described throughout Paul’s letters.

I think it all begins with obedience, as described in the quote below.

[quote]
Just a question, do you think our Father , Son & Spirit want us to serve them out of fear, as in being fearful of what He will do to us, or love? Thankyou for your input.

Of course God wants us to do it out of love for Him. But very often that is not the way people begin to obey. Sometimes love for oneself (eternal welfare) is the only motivation that will get someone to begin to convert/change.
[/quote]

IMO, the transition from life in the flesh to life in the spirit is the key to Christian living, and that this process begins with obedience, as described above.

My question - how have some of you pursued life in the spirit? IMO this is really an open question to Catholics and Protestants alike.

I have my own set of scriptures and thoughts I’ve developed but I’d like to see what’s floating around in this room. :slight_smile:

You are right. Spirituality flows from obedience. Sin from disobedience.

This is why when someone first converts to Christianity and are Fully forgiven — they feel so clean and loved by God. That is the FIRST LOVE, that Paul refers to.

For most of us, we soon fall back into sins … and short of fully confessing … we grieve H.S. and lose the spirituality in our lives.

Once we get serious about returning to God, decide to fully confess, and be obedient … then we can rediscover that first purity, agape love, and experience the fullness of the spirit that God wants restored to us.

Contrition of heart, total confession, total commitment to be obedient … are all essential to experiencing the spiritual nature God intends for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.