Life is Eternal. Post a Scene from the Old Testament. (please)

I was mentioning Jonah to someone today and came across this picture which I found rather captivating, terrifying, edifying, and amusing, all at the same time. Anyways, who knows, maybe you have a picture to share.

(This thread is similar in form to the “post a cartoon” thread, just a little variation on the theme.)

Jonah%20Whale

-The Whale and Jonah become better acquainted.

Hmmm, inteesting. Not exactly what I had in mind, though

I wonder, maybe I should let the NT art, and all the ages of the Church into this thread. What do you folks think?

I’m all for exhausting the OT first. Off to a good start.

I love the whale, or whatever it is. The slime hanging from the roof reminds me of the grandchildren this past weekend.

Caravaggio’s Judith and Holofernes

(If I find a bigger one, I’ll change it, okay?)

Okay, good. Well, I wasn’t sure. The cartoon thread has been unquestionably quite popular. We’ll see how this one goes. Thanks!

I love the Jonah story.
He’s so grumpy and doesn’t want to save the Ninevites—wants to see them pay for their evil deeds.
But then Ninevah repents and Jonah treats himself to a first-class sulk.
Then God delivers an awesome rebuke.
The best part is we never find out if Jonah’s heart softens or what.
The story ends abruptly after God’s rebuke.

Yes, I like the story very much, and it’s getting close to lent where this story takes a prominent place. We can be like Jonah in our daily lives, I think. I know I can.

-Hannah presenting her son Samuel to Elijah.

Sometimes I think Jonah, the elder son in the Prodigal Son story and the Pharisee who boasted of his good deeds while the tax collector simply asked for mercy are cut of the same cloth.

I mean, it’s hard to feel like you’re doing the “heavy lifting” of the spiritual life while others slack off, but we always need to keep a generous spirit and rejoice when others embrace God (and besides we’re all just sinners anyway :slightly_smiling_face:)

Joseph, sold by his own brothers, yet never held a grudge.
I probably would have asked, whatever happened to my coat, guys!

I could never understand why Jesus didn’t get to be descended from the tribe of Joseph, but instead from Judah, the brother who had the bright idea to sell Joseph into slavery. He didn’t even get to be descended from the tribe of the brother (Reuben) who tried to go back and rescue Joseph, becaues Reuben slept with his stepmother or something, but Judah slept with his own daughter-in-law thinking she was a temple prostitute, which to me is equally bad if not worse than what Reuben did. I’m sure I’m missing some big cultural context here.

Good ol’ Daniel is a favorite of anybody who ever had to feed a whole bunch of hungry cats in the morning. I especially like that artists all seem to have wildly different ideas about what exactly went on in the lions’ den.

daniel%20lions%20bewildered

The paintings where Daniel is almost naked always make me think that is so out of context: why in the world would anyone think he would be without his tunic and girded? :thinking:

All I can think is maybe his captors figured he wouldn’t need his clothes any more where he was going and took them for themselves rather than let lions rip them up and get blood on them.

Now THAT is a mystery. Perhaps because down the road Judah remained the ‘faithful’ tribe (relatively speaking) while the other tribes, well, let’s just say they more or less fell away.

But in the fiery oven they all had their clothes on and it is also implied that when the accusers of Daniel were thrown into the den it was with clothes on and in a hurry.

Or sweet little Benjamin.
Maybe Judah was the brother most in need of a saviour.

Partly, and if you look through the genealogy of Jesus, Jesus chose to fully enter into fallen humanity with the long line of sinners down through the ages since God wanted to enter into our brokenness to show us his power to implode it from within.

Something along those lines, I think.

(This is part of the reason why looking closely into Matthew’s genealogy of Jesus, one sees a plethora of man “missing the mark” in a number of ways down through the ages.)

Not bad. That all you got?

lol

Seriously though, that is a truly awesome and beautiful contribution of the various renderings of Daniel and the Lions, Bear. Thanks for pulling all that together. It’s really cool.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.