Life is Eternal. Post a Scene from the Old Testament. (please)

In this 19th century Thomas Brigstocke painting, Aaron and Hur hold up Moses’ arms as the Israelites battle the Amelikites.

Great pic, Lisa!

(If I were the artist, I would have left out those two divine sparks coming from the top of Moses head…seems a bit over much. )

@JamalChristophr Because of a translation error, Moses was depicted as having horns. This image shows up throughout Western art. In the photo below, Michelangelo depicts Moses with horns. The better translation would be that Moses shined after communing with God on Mt. Sinai. Brigstocke’s depiction of rays of light coming out of Moses’ head is an improvement over literal horns.

Yeah no kidding. I had same wonderment over what looked like one horn (unicorn haha) on statue of an apostle. Apparently depicting flame of Pentecost.

If I was Moses, I would have come back in a dream and told Michelangelo, “don’t do that!” :roll_eyes: … ah well.

A painting of Abraham’s departure by József Molnár .

One of the key events in Salvation History .

The revelation of God’s mercy to the prophet Hosea.
“My heart recoils within me, my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim.” Hos 11: 8-9

hosea

I was thinking the other day about Lot and his daughters after the discussion on some thread about whether Lot’s wife literally turned into a pillar of salt. In reading online about Lot and his daughters, I unfortunately came upon many old paintings of Lot and his daughters that seemed like the artist was having a little too much excitement with the idea of incest and nudity, similar to how DeMille’s original “Sign of the Cross” film exploited the idea of nearly-naked Christian girls being sexually menaced in the Roman arena.

However, I did find a very nice contemporary painting of Lot and his daughters in which everybody also has their clothes on. By Rogier Williams.

The Trinity, or Hospitality of Abraham, 15th century icon by Andrei Rublev, depicting the three angels who visited Abraham and Sarah in the Book of Genesis, which represents the Holy Trinity.

I thought there were only two angels and the other one was God.

From his Jerusalem Bible illustrations, “Vanitas Vanitatum” by Salvador Dali.
download

And Dali’s “Annunciation to Mary.”
images

The Repentance of Nineveh

I think it is interesting that even the animals are doing penance (Jonah 3:7-8), and the Lord’s concern extends to the animals as well (Jonah 4:11).

My grandpa draw this on september 1st 1947.

It is like 5 cm × 10 cm. I was the last one he spoke before his death. I told him to relax and go to his home town in Sirius (grandpa loved alien stories and had the strong image of him coming to Sirius). He said my name and sighed and closed his eyes. I went to the kitchen where my family was. Ten minutes later my brother came and said he has departed.
I am so happy grandpa changed his mind about incineration and called a priest and received last rites. He had his struggles with God. At one point he said he doesn’t like Jesus much because Jesus said about bringing a sword between people. Instead he told me to trust Jesus’s Mother because she is so wise. A wise woman. To call her for help.

It is very beautiful. You are blessed to have this. It is Jesus who lifts us up, out of our fears, temptations, uncertainties, when we keep our eyes on Him.

You were greatly privileged to be with your grandpa, to witness “the grace of a happy death” as promised through sincere devotion to our blessed Mother, Mary.

@Mary888, does the picture show St Peter’s left hand grasping the edge of Jesus’ garment? (That happens to be a spiritual image I have of myself, holding tightly to the edge.) Thank you for sharing it.

I note that the king of Nineveh is the one who made the animals do penance. God wouldn’t have required them to do so.
God’s statement shows his concern for the animals he created, which is nice.

I haven’t found the original painting yet. On the back it says it is inspired after R. Sein. I don’t who that is. Yes the man in the water is holding on Jesus’s garment. Is it Peter?

That’s a very nice picture and story. I’m glad your grandpa reached out to God at the end and now you all can have peace of mind about his soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.