Life is Eternal. Post a Scene from the Old Testament. (please)

BronzeSerpent

Yes I read Christian theology goes along the lines that Christ who is one with the Father, God, betrayed hell and that system of judgement during the Crucifixion and the devil was crucified alongside Him. The story goes that this is the reason why demons fear the Cross who brings them unexpected pain and wound.

“The Great Day of His Wrath” depicts the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. (Artist: John Martin. Date of painting: 1851–1853.)

There is something apocalyptic about this painting. Not for the faint of heart.

@Dan_Defender: You’re quite right. “Great Day of His Wrath” is also titled “The End of the World.”

Just because it wasn’t written in the Torah doesn’t mean it didn’t happen :stuck_out_tongue:

Moses and the burning bush by Jean Baptiste van Loo (1684 – 1745)

Thanks, @JamalChristophr reminded me of that, much to my embarrassment. Thanks for rubbing it in😩

The still born baby is easily forgotten, it seems, in the story. Our mind tends to really hone in on the one baby that the mothers are fighting over. It was good that the artist included that in his picture., but it throws a person off a bit. Babies that are killed in the womb these days are also rather dismissed from the minds of the general public, much like the still born baby in the story.

God hides Moses in the cleft of a rock as he passes by.
(Exodus 33: 18-23)

Samuel anoints David by Mattia Preti

I don’t blame him.

The shortest homily I have ever heard is on Jonah. The priest said: “I come from Nineve in Irac. Today the town is called Mosul and we all know what the IS do there now. Jonah was asked to tell the people of Nineve to repent and turn back to God. That was needed then and it is today. Not only there but also here.”

Amos 4:4-5

1. Come to Bethel and commit crimes,
    To Gilgal and commit even more crimes.
    And bring the next morning your sacrifices,
    On the third day your tithes.

2. And burn from the unleavened bread a thanks offering,
    And call out free-will offerings, proclaim it!
    For thus you love to do, sons of Israel, says the Lord GOD.

@Rob2, is that Amos delivering the oracle to the king?

I am not familiar with the book of Amos, but just now I read 2 chapters or so, and must read it all soon. A powerful and frightening prophecy… and relevant today?

@Beryllos , as far as I can make out Amos may not be in the painting . The painting for me illustrates Amos’ message about false worship rather than Amos himself . Amos’ primary message was declaring that only worship that proceeds from a heart that loves God and loves its neighbour , especially in the poor , is acceptable to God.

Belshazzar’s Feast by Rembrandt .

Suddenly the fingers of a human hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall, near the lampstand in the royal palace. The king watched the hand as it wrote. His face turned pale and he was so frightened that his legs became weak and his knees were knocking. The king summoned the enchanters, astrologers and diviners. Then he said to these wise men of Babylon, “Whoever reads this writing and tells me what it means will be clothed in purple and have a gold chain placed around his neck, and he will be made the third highest ruler in the kingdom.” Then all the king’s wise men came in, but they could not read the writing or tell the king what it meant. So King Belshazzar became even more terrified and his face grew more pale. His nobles were baffled. The queen, hearing the voices of the king and his nobles, came into the banquet hall. “May the king live forever!” she said. “Don’t be alarmed! Don’t look so pale! There is a man in your kingdom who has the spirit of the holy gods in him. In the time of your father he was found to have insight and intelligence and wisdom like that of the gods. Your father, King Nebuchadnezzar, appointed him chief of the magicians, enchanters, astrologers and diviners. He did this because Daniel, whom the king called Belteshazzar, was found to have a keen mind and knowledge and understanding, and also the ability to interpret dreams, explain riddles and solve difficult problems. Call for Daniel, and he will tell you what the writing means.”…Then Daniel answered the king , " This is the message that was written: MENE, MENE, TEKEL, and PERES. Here is what these words mean: Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end . Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting. Peres: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians." (Daniel 5)

The Call of Isaiah, by Nicolas-Rene Jollain, 1670.

Then flew one of the seraphim to me, having in his hand a burning coal which he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said, “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin forgiven.” Isaiah 6: 6-7

Joseph being thrown into a well by his brothers by [Claes Cornelisz. Moeyaert .

" So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe–the ornate robe he was wearing , and they took him and threw him into the cistern." (Genesis 37)

“Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.” (Ex 2)

Prophet Hosea preaching
Hosea 6:6 “For I desire mercy and not sacrifice,” which Our Lord would later quote in Matthew 9:13
hosea
And a nice synopsis of the Book of Hosea, animated for our modern short attention-span :grin:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.