Life is Eternal. Post a Scene from the Old Testament. (please)

"The LORD said to me, “Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another man and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.” (Hosea 3:1)

By the Rivers of Babylon, by Gebhard Fugel, 1920. From Psalm 137:1, “Beside the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept and we thought of Jerusalem.” Appropriate, I think, as we start the penitential season of Lent.

by%20the%20rivers%20we%20wept

" When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the ashes ." (Jonah 3:7 )

The King of Nineveh in Sackcloth and Ashes

"Have them make an ark of acacia wood–two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high. Overlay it with pure gold, both inside and out, and make a gold molding around it." (Exodus 25:10,11)

Joshua passing the Jordan River with the Ark of the Covenant by Benjamin West (1800)

"Who will have pity on you, Jerusalem? Who will mourn for you? Who will stop to ask how you are? (Jeremiah 15:5)

Jeremiah lamenting the destruction of Jerusalem by Rembrandt (1630)

“I AM WHO I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you.” (Exodus 3:14)

Moses and the Burning Bush by Bourdon, Sébastien. 1616

As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. (2 Kings 2:11)

Elijah Taken Up Into Heaven In The Chariot Of Fire by Pieter Symonsz Potter

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me (Psalm 23:4)

Valley Of The Shadow Of Death by Glen Gray

I have carved you on the palm of my hands (Isaiah 49:16)

And there were many in Israel with leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed–only Naaman the Syrian." (Luke 4:27)

Naaman is cured from leprosy from the Meuse Valley approximately 1150 AD

It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking upon the roof of the king’s house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful. And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is not this Bathshe′ba, the daughter of Eli′am, the wife of Uri′ah the Hittite?” So David sent messengers, and took her; and she came to him, and he lay with her. (2 Samuel 11)

Esther and Mordecai, from the Book of Esther, by Aert de Gelder, 17th century Dutch painter

My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty. (Daniel 6:22)

Daniel In The Lions Den by Leonardo Digenio

My namesake, pray for us!

That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?" God said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honour, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have.” (2 Chronicles 1)

The Dream of Solomon, by Luca Giordano (1693)

When the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon and his relationship to the LORD, she came to test Solomon with hard questions.Arriving at Jerusalem with a very great caravan–with camels carrying spices, large quantities of gold, and precious stones–she came to Solomon and talked with him about all that she had on her mind.Solomon answered all her questions; nothing was too hard for the king to explain to her. ( 1 Kings 10 )

The Visit of the Queen of Sheba to King Solomon by Edward Poynter, 1890

Genesis 15: 5: The Lord God took Abram outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars, if you can. Just so,” He added, “Shall your descendants be.”

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. (Isaiah 11:6)

A child among domesticated and wild animals by William Strutt

So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done. (1 Kings 11:6)

The Idolatry Of Solomon by Lucas Van Leyden

So they took Jeremiah and put him into the cistern of Malkijah, the king’s son, which was in the courtyard of the guard. They lowered Jeremiah by ropes into the cistern; it had no water in it, only mud, and Jeremiah sank down into the mud. (Jeremiah 28:6)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.