Life not Black and White?

I’m just mad and hurt right now… my mom got upset at me for saying that there are some actions that are intrinsically wrong, and said that life isn’t that black and white, and that Jesus got rid of the 10 Commandments, and that we’re just supposed to love our neighbor as yourself. I walked away from the conversation cause she wasn’t being very polite about it all, and I knew I wasn’t getting anywhere… I said that what she said wasn’t true, so I did my part of proclaiming the truth, I hope… I’m just upset. People sin. People do things that are wrong. We can’t be the judge of someone’s soul, of course, and individual circumstances can be different, but God wouldn’t tell us that some actions are wrong if they weren’t. x.x I just needed to vent a bit, thought this forum might be the best place for it… :frowning:

Aw, “PB” I’m sorry you were hurt. :console:

I think sometimes… people are confused by the passage from the Gospel of John…

“I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another”. (John 13:34)

Our Lord didn’t abolish the 10 Commandments… when He said this. He added a new commandment. I guess you could say… we have 11 Commandments!

Hope you feel better soon. God bless.

Jesus loved the rich young man precisely BECAUSE he obeyed all the commandments and had done so from childhood! Yes, there was more to living a Christian life beyond, as He pointed out, but that didn’t eliminate the commandments!

It is true that the commandment is love. It is also true that love sometimes requires a “No.” I would think that a parent knows this - how can one raise a child without ever saying “No, that is wrong, that is not allowed, you must not do that.” Such a child would be very confused and self-obsessed, if raised that way.

Life is very black and white… it’s only when we are far away from the subject that it seems gray. When we look closely, at each little piece – it is either black or white. :slight_smile:

Don’t be upset that you’re misunderstood. Jesus was misunderstood. He is giving you a piece of His Cross. Offer it to Him in thanksgiving and for love of Him and for the conversion of sinners, or whatever pure intentions you hold dearly in your heart. “Deny yourself, take up your cross, and imitate Me.”

That’s so true, Eucharisted, thank you… and thanks everyone else. I’m feeling a bit better now. :thumbsup:

Glad your feeling better :slight_smile: .

Something I had to learn, and unfortunately didn’t realize until after I left home. Was that you sometimes have to listen to what your parents tell you through a filter. My dad constantly nagged me about my grades and getting a career as a young teen. It caused a rift between us eventually, but I finally started to realize that there is a long story and life experience behind every lesson that a parent teaches you and what my dad was really trying to say was “I don’t want you to make the exact same mistakes I did, I don’t want you to miss out on the things I did”. Often times what they try to tell you comes out completely wrong and results in hurt feelings.

Oh well.

I hope you and your mother can come to some sort of an understanding on this issue so as to avoid further hurtful conflict.

The first time I ran into someone saying that Jesus did away with the 10 Commandments was almost 30 years ago. It was from an individual I car pooled with in going to work. He was what I would call an extreme fundamentalist. He even taught at his church and they, according to him, believed that once saved, there is nothing they can do that will cause them to go to hell. There is another thread on this forum where some, saying that they are Catholic and are putting this forth as “the new church teaching”. Nothing could be further than the truth. You are correct, and your mother is wrong in that statement. It contradicts Catholic teaching and theology and can only lead to sadness.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.