Life on Mars

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2133475.ece

ALIEN microbes living just below the Martian soil are responsible for a haze of methane around the Red Planet, Nasa scientists believe.
The gas, belched in vast quantities in our world by cows, was detected by orbiting spacecraft and from Earth using giant telescopes.

Nasa are today expected to confirm its presence during a briefing at their Washington HQ.

And the find is seen as exciting new evidence that Martian microbes are still alive today.

Some scientists reckon methane is also produced by volcanic processes. But there are NO known active volcanoes on Mars.

Furthermore, Nasa has found the gas in the same regions as clouds of water vapour, the vital “drink” needed to support life.

If this proves to be true, as seems ever more likely, what does this mean to Christian and Jewish doctrine, especially fundamentalist Christians? If Mars has life it’s likely that those planets around other stars have life and that some of them have developed into intelligent life…do they need salvation? Did our sin affect only us or all life in the universe? If they need salvation was the sacrafice of Christ sufficient for them as well? If we encounter them how will we respond with our divine revelations and how will we respond to their divine revelations?

If this proves to be true, as seems ever more likely, what does this mean to Christian and Jewish doctrine, especially fundamentalist Christians? If Mars has life it’s likely that those planets around other stars have life and that some of them have developed into intelligent life…do they need salvation?

You’d actually have to get there 1st.

2nd - I already feel sorry for them

3rd - technically they didn’t even have the Fall (since Bible never mentioned Alien being at fault in the Fall; unless some start claiming the serpent is one of those aliens or something), what do they need salvation from?

Here’s the scoop…God’s in charge, so if someone needs salvation, Jesus already died for them, since he died for all.

But why shouldn’t there be life elsewhere in this vast cosmos that God created. He loves us so much…I know this much, love only multiples never divides, so if He wants to create life elsewhere, so be it.

So were aliens in the Garden of Eden?

How did they fall if it was Adam & Eve?

I wasn’t in the Garden of Eden and Christ died for me. So it really doesn’t matter who was there at the time…Christ died and opened the gates of heaven. They are not closed any more for anyone.

If they haven’t had a Fall then Jesus’ sacrifice is useless to them in the 1st place.

Is there an article from a respectable news source? The Sun is trash.

Um… is this for real or is this just a joke newspaper?

Strangely the technology and science page on my favorite news source has nothing on this discovery. Hmmmmm :stuck_out_tongue:

Not necessarily. While they, like the angels, would not directly benefit from the Redemption, they would be able to praise God for it and wonder at it, which Scriptures tells us the angels already do.

As for there being alien life and the ramifications for Judeo-Christian theology, C. S. Lewis tackled that issue quite nicely in his space trilogy. He also opined that the great distances of space may be God’s quarantine against the infection of man’s sin and it’s consequences polluting other races and cultures on other planets. So, the idea isn’t a new one nor would it throw Judeo-Christian theology into some sort of tizzy, nor cause large numbers of religious people to riot, despair, turn murderous, or commit suicide as portrayed on Star Trek and elsewhere. :rolleyes:

If they need salvation, maybe Christ visited them as one of their own already. We can compare notes.

It’s tabloid nonsense. One of those papers that preys on celebrity scandal etc and doesn’t care about facts.
Also there’s a topless women on page three of each paper.

Here’s the story from a credible source:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7829315.stm

IMO, it is no different than when early European explorers discovered North and South America and found it populated with intelligent life. If they are humans, they are fallen. If they are something else, they are either fallen or soon will be after they start interacting with us.

Interesting speculation, but not IMO likely to need practical application. The idea that finding microbes on Mars means there must be other sentient life out there something can only grow out of a worldview that says humanity is the outcome of random chemical reactions. That’s nonsense. If God wanted to plant sentient life in multiple places he did it. If he didn’t want that, he didn’t. Not really that complicated.

:amen:

If so more souls for Christ.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479997,00.html

since the original source was questioned i thought i’d add this. different article but same story…very interesting.

On his blog, Jimmy Akin.org , the author discusses this with a NASA photo…
Interesting, but in no way changes what we Cathlics believe. If God in his wisdom created life, even what we would recognize as “human” life elsewhere in His universe, and they put themselves in a position of needing salvation, God will provide.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.