Life Support Removal

I need a legally written document for my will which will direct my care giver concerning removal of life support systems that reflect the Church’s teachings. My lawyer has prepared a will with “Advace Directive for Health Care” which is very secular and rather than try to change portions I feel I need an entire document.
Please Help !
Included below are generalities I found on the internet: Catholic teaching holds that it is morally wrong to refuse “proportionate” or ordinary care, which includes water and feeding tubes; refusing such care amounts to euthanasia
A document issued Sept. 14 from the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith reaffirmed that it considers the removal of feeding tubes from people in vegetative states to be an immoral act.
The Vatican distinguishes between feeding tubes, which it considers proportionate care, and “aggressive medical treatment” which can be disproportionate to any expected results or pose an excessive burden on the patient.
“In such situations, when death is clearly imminent and inevitable, one can in conscience refuse forms of treatment that would only secure a precarious and burdensome prolongation of life, so long as the normal care due to the sick person in similar cases is not interrupted,” according to John Paul’s 1995 encyclical “Evangelium Vitae.”

Try this. It’s Colorado specific, but I’m sure you can tweak it as necessary.

cocatholicconference.org/images/CatholicHealthcareDirectory/catholic_healthcare_directive_forms.pdf

I’m using it myself, as I’m going into surgery tomorrow. Pray for me!

Try the Will to Live

I was going to suggest this as well. It was recently endorsed by Fr. Frank Pavone and Priests for Life.

A little off topic but I know that not giving food and water is euthanasia but what about life support? In particular someone who is paralyzed from the neck down. If they wish to die can you remove them from the ventilator since it is not food/water? Can you only remove someone from a ventlator if they are near the end of life, brain dead or not going to recover? What is the church teaching about this?

I believe American Life League also has some documents on this topic on their website, www.all.org

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.