LifeTeen Mass, Love it or Hate it?

What do you think about the LifeTeen Mass?

Is it a candy-coated, protestantized version of the Mass that breeds abuse, or is it good fun and essential for keeping youth involved with the Church? Does the Church need to ‘modernize’ to compete with TV, internet and mega-churches at the mall?

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the LifeTeen.

[quote=cargopilot]What do you think about the LifeTeen Mass?

Is it a candy-coated, protestantized version of the Mass that breeds abuse, or is it good fun and essential for keeping youth involved with the Church? Does the Church need to ‘modernize’ to compete with TV, internet and mega-churches at the mall?

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the LifeTeen.
[/quote]

It’s okay…doesn’t really bother me one way or the other and it’s great to see the powerful devotion of those young people to the Mass. I don’t think it’s Protestantized or abusive. I’ve found it pretty moving to me. After years as a Prot…this is a great change to me and one that I am glad is there. The Mass doesn’t change…just the music and the homilies are stuff that a lot of adults would squirm to hear. That’s the way it is here anyway.
Pax vobiscum,

What is a LifeTeen Mass? I’ve never heard of this.

Well, we’re really not supposed to call it a LifeTeen Mass, anymore, but it is a Mass that is geared toward young people. The music is more upbeat and the homily is supposed to be more relevant to teens.

You can visit their homepage here. lifeteen.com

I’m not in favor of it, and that’s considering that I’m a youth. The mass should be for all ages. There is no need to create masses that single out certain groups specifically.

According to some testomonials on the lifeteen site, the teens feel withdrawn from the regular masses, some are depressed, but come alive with the rock n roll found in life teen. Masses should be for all ages in my opinion.

it gets teens in the door and it lasts longer than ordinary Sunday Mass. I have never heard anyone complain that a lifeteen mass was too long but if you walk out of an ordinary church and the Priest’s homily was 2 minutes longer than normal people complain they got out late.

A well done Lifeteen Mass is wonderful.

I’ve never been to one. I’m sure there is one in my area somewhere but neither of the Churches I’ve attended have had one. Why is it necessary to have a special Mass for teens?

Do we really need a “Mass” for every group and sub group ?
What ever happened to the family Mass or the Community Mass ?
It is bad enough to have thousands of flavors of Christianity but now we have to have dozens of flavors of the Catholic Mass :frowning:

I cannot stand it and I’m 23 years old. It may sound harsh, but if I wanted to attend a protestant service I would go to one.

The Lifeteen Mass is held on Sunday afternoons in my parish. Before lifeteen, when it was a normal Mass, Church was always packed at this time and was mostly all young people!

Ever since Lifeteen there are only a handful of people who attend this Mass. I realize the need to reach out to young people, (youth groups, etc.) but making Mass a rock concert is not the way…IMO.

What we need is more use of the Tridentine Mass.

I’m with SL20. I’ve been to 2 lifeteen services and felt embarassed for myself and the faith. Painful stuff. The Lord’s Prayer sung to the melody of a Rolling Stones song. Unbelieveable. I’m 26 and will take the Tridentine Mass over a butchered Novus Ordo any day of the week.

The problem is not Vatican II, it is priests who have abused the policies of V2.

It is well documented that the Novus Ordo is very protestantized, and I don’t see why the faithful felt that we should leave our tradition behind completely. OK, a change here and there to warm up the service, but these “messes” that we see all too often in our rather ugly modern churches need to be dealt with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.