Lighter side of CAF NCR - story time

So at Mass yesterday, after reading the first reading, I was thinking about how it related to an old thread on here where I had a great conversation a while back and how it would have been a great contribution.

This event is the basis for this thread.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can be out and about, hear music, see things, be in a worship service, anywhere outside of CAF, and link something heard or seen back into a discussion here.

We get inspiration from many avenues.

Please tell a story about how you were influenced to contribute to a thread from a situation outside of the forum. (You were driving to work and something you heard fired you up for a post)

This could include a viewer’s story of how they decided to become a member.

Take care,

Mike

I became a member because someone challenged me to. I actually knew nothing about CAF at the time. Needed help even to get on it. I am NOT a computer expert. God Bless, mMmaw

Well, I guess it’s just the two of us.

There are some great threads and questions running right now in this forum, which is great.

I have a new example.

We’re in the last days of my father here who has gone through a lot of suffering in the last couple of years, but most notably in the last few months.

I had recently wrote a letter to my sisters about how Dad’s suffering will one day be understood as a gift to his children. Though it is very difficult to see such a reality now, we are witnessing what is a suffering servant.

When I saw the thread - ‘Saved by the works of another’ yesterday after spending the last few days with Dad, it seems like the right place to drop in some info on such a person as Dad, the suffering servant.

Now if I get to the point of putting something in the other thread is another question.

Oh my goodness, Mike. I hope, if you will allow me to say this, that your father does not suffer too long.

Picky

Thank you Picky,

After I put that in, I remembered I wanted the thread to be a lighter one after all that back and forth. It’s probably going to sink anyway.

Just in the last week or so, they finally have him on the drugs that kill most of the pain as he crosses the finish line here soon.

Friday morning was a nice time with him. Though he can’t speak anymore, his eyes tell a hell of a story, he can still crack a half a grin, and his handshake is still stronger than most arm wrestlers.

Now how did you find this site and what drove you to join? (Even if it was internal to the site)

Thanks again,

Mike

Prayers for you, your Dad and family, God Bless, Memaw

Oh it was one of those posts that somehow I came across that was having a go at the Church of England. Or perhaps it was retelling one of those misunderstandings about the CofE of today, like the way bishops are chosen or something. I happen to be (despite my own disgraceful beliefs) an admirer of the CofE and if its contribution to my country. I try to restrict my posts to (a) defending the poor old CofE or (b) grappling with what I see as errors of history, logic, language, or understanding, No doubt I don’t always succeed. I remember, for instance, a long conversation that broke all my rules. But that was your fault!

A few days ago, I was looking at a tree (out of my room’s window). I was thinking about how much a simple tree provides and all it can do. It provides a beautiful thing to look at, a home for birds and squirrels, a place for fruit to grow, shade, wood, sap, etc. It’s amazing how just one tree can give so much to its environment.

Then I got to thinking about various theories of reality, like pantheism, Greek and Roman mythological teachings about trees, the futility of this world, emptiness, etc. That reminded me of a thread I read, a few months ago, about Gnosticism. It turns out that one of the guys who was in it happened to be a gnostic Deacon from Seattle. It just goes to show you that anyone at all can be behind the screen of a computer; you really don’t know who’s writing the posts.

Thanks for sharing Picky and Drac. I do like how, though we have our semi-anonymous-ness. People get to the point of being comfortable here to introduce a bit of who they are outside of the screen.

I just heard again this morning an analysis of last Sunday’s first reading. Since Sunday there has been a lot of moments on this reading in my life, I think it’s time to post it…

Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 98

Reading 1 Wis 1:13-15; 2:23-24 

God did not make death,
nor does he rejoice in the destruction of the living.
For he fashioned all things that they might have being;
and the creatures of the world are wholesome,
and there is not a destructive drug among them
nor any domain of the netherworld on earth,
for justice is undying.
For God formed man to be imperishable;
the image of his own nature he made him.

But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world,
and they who belong to his company experience it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.