Lighting a candle when you pray

Do you do this and if so why?

Last week I did this and it seemed nice.

Does it help you focus? Do you have the light off and just have the candle light?

Thanks.

I light candles pretty much every day/night. As a child my mum lit candles often at mass, I got into that way, I’d light a candle to Our Lady or the Sacred Heart, then kneel before the statue and pray. Seem the statues were looking at me. watching me.
I used to imagine that when candles are blown out, the smoke from the candle was taking the prayers up to heaven, ha, I sometimes think this now and also when a priest uses incense.

As an adult I don’t light candles at church anymore, but I do so at home when I pray for someone or an important issue. Mostly at night, just seems to always help when I do.

I do this. Why?

“In the lighting of candles we remember and truly live the words of Our Lord: “I am the Light of the World.” In the lighting of candles we not only pray, but our prayers become smaller symbols of the One Light of Christ. In burning candles, our prayers rise up to Heaven day and night; prayers for the saint’s intercession are also common because of their friendship with God in Heaven. Saints are powerful intercessors. The lighting of candles has been observed since the early the time of the early martyrs.” acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/03/why-do-catholics-light-prayer-candles.html

Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics also keep a vigil lamp burning at all times, usually an oil lamp or 2 twelve hour votives. The Lord told us to keep watch 24/7, parable of the wise and foolish virgins, Matthew 25.

I light my shrine candle when I pray my Divine Office & Rosary. Why; because in prayer I’m giving praise to Jesus Christ; who is the Light of the World.

I also light candles both at church and at home. At church I do for special intentions. I feel like as long as the candle is burning my guardian angel and the saints keep praying for my intentions, and when the candle burns out those prayers are carried to heaven, right to the throne of God. I light candles at home for similar reasons and also in memory of family members who have passed away. During deployments I keep a candle lit for my husband and all those with him. I guess kind of like keeping the porch light on until your kids get home

I like to light a candle as a sign of my devotion to the Blessed Mother and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

I better get myself some new candles then.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.