Lightning Kills 11 Football Players (Entire Team)

FOOTBALL FANS in the central African state of Congo **were hurling accusations of witchcraft at each other yesterday **after a freak blast of lightning struck dead an entire team on the playing field while their opponents were left completely untouched.

The bizarre blow by the weather to all 11 members of the football team was reported in the daily newspaper L’Avenir in Kinshasa, the capital of Congo.

“Lightning killed at a stroke 11 young people aged between 20 and 35 years during a football match,” the newspaper reported . It went on to say that 30 other people had received burns at the weekend match, held in the eastern province of Kasai. "The athletes from Basanga [the home team] curiously came out of this catastrophe unscathed

independent.co.uk/news/lightning-kills-an-entire-football-team-1181336.html

:frowning:

They say lightning bolt generates temperatures of 100,000 Celcius.

A man and a woman had taken shelter under a Tree during heavy rains. Lightning struck the tree and the man who was 10 feet away was thrown off his feet.

Source: dangerousmother.com

:slight_smile:

Check the date on the article: Thursday 29 October 1998

The lightning strike occurred 14 years ago.

Moreover, a 2006 news article indicates there was never an independent confirmation of the incident.

"Lightning killed at a stroke 11 young people aged between 20 and 35 years during a football match,’ reported the daily newspaper L’Avenir in Kinshasa. The account added that while 30 other people received burns, “the athletes from Basanga curiously came out of this catastrophe unscathed.”

Immediately, accusations of witchcraft arose; many teams across central and western Africa are known to employ the services of witchdoctors to put curses on their opponents. “The exact nature of the lightning has divided the population in this region which is known for its use of fetishes in football,” added the newspaper. However, there has never been any official confirmation of L’Avenir’s report as much of the area was stricken by civil war.

guardian.co.uk/football/2006/mar/15/theknowledge.sport

The article cited in the first post is based upon the dubious claim in the Congolese newspaper, L’Avenir

I remember when that happened.

I remember the curse, that it was going to happen before it happened.

Very strange.

wait...you mean there was a curse?

Like "Darn those Packers anyway?" kind of curse?

I am going to try that on the 9th, but I don't want them to be killed....just wounded for one game....:p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.